• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Warning--fedex

I received a package from FEDEX (U.S to Portugal) and was told (by fedex) that i would have to pay an extra tax of 50$ (beside customs and transport) and they told me this was routine even for a 10$ order.

So to all you guys/dealers don´t ever ship internacional via FEDEX.
I´ve make some orders that came via USPS and there was none STUPID TAX envolved.

Sorry for my english..

Joseph

Jose, o imposto e porque? Qual e a razao que te derao por este imposto de $50?
Desculpa, o meu Portuguese nao e muito bom.

Was this a fee from Fed-Ex? I ask this because you stated that it was a tax. A tax is something put on by a government, not a shipping company. If it was a tax then it has nothing to do with Fed-Ex.

Keith Montgomery said:
Was this a fee from Fed-Ex? I ask this because you stated that it was a tax. A tax is something put on by a government, not a shipping company. If it was a tax then it has nothing to do with Fed-Ex.
Sounds like a fedEx subcontractor trying to rip him off, I have heard of this happeneing in Portugal. I ship to relatives in Portugal and have never heard anything about a flat tax of $50 on any items. What was in the package (if you dont mind saying) and was it really just worth $10. Did you get some reciept for the $50?

Neko2

Gold Member
I work for FedEx and some countries levy a 600%-1,500% tax on certain items. Australia taxes alcohol at 600% for instance. You may want to check with a customer service rep to see if the item was something that your country has import tarifs on.

If it was the FedEx worker trying to rip you off call the customer service line (800-go-fedex in the U.S.) and report it. They don't take that sort of thing lightly.

N2

I´m going to try to explain myself better:

I ordered one knife and one multitool from A.G. Russel, the total was 97,6$ , the custums here charge about 45$ ( this is what is expected if they open the package- but i does not always happens), ......and then fedex charge a "fee"?, beside the value you pay for transport-around 35$-included in the total from A.G., of 50$ for all the international express orders(the value does not matter).

Hope i explained myself right.

Kind regards to all

I´ve called fedex and they told me that as a private company they charge for picking the package at customs, handling, plus administrative expenses, for a total of 37,30 euros = 51$ US.............. :eek: :eek:

No more fedex for me :mad:

p.s. Forgot to tell you that the package took 3 weeks to get to me,....that´s what i call express service :rolleyes:

Neko2 said:
I work for FedEx and some countries levy a 600%-1,500% tax on certain items. Australia taxes alcohol at 600% for instance. You may want to check with a customer service rep to see if the item was something that your country has import tarifs on.

If it was the FedEx worker trying to rip you off call the customer service line (800-go-fedex in the U.S.) and report it. They don't take that sort of thing lightly.

N2

N2-Time to learn how to brew.
JosephR.C.-Was it actually Fed Ex you spoke to or a subcontracted company in Portugal? Sounds fishy, Fed Ex charges upfront fees for their service and will add any customs taxes but I dont know of them adding any surcharges for deliver. (the company I work for does over 1 million dollars in buisness with FedEx ever year and Ive never heard of a delivery surcharge even though we ship to about 40 countries, all go through customs and carry dangerous chemicals, no surcharge.)

It was fedex. I also called fedex U.S. and they told me i should call to their costumer service in Portugal, so i did and they told me what i´ve allready said.

Maybe this only hapens in Portugal, I don´t know, all i know is that a package delivered via fedex from U.S. cost me about 80$ US plus customs tax and not the 30$US that all the e-stores charge. (It´s not the store´s fault and I´ve allready warned A.G. so that they only ship--at least to Portugal-- via USPS global express)

Why use any of these expensive methods when you can ship USPS Global Priority. Takes under a week and costs $9 for the large envelope.

rycen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Alot of online retailers dont like to ship via USPS.I have yet to figure out why.

rycen said:
Alot of online retailers dont like to ship via USPS.I have yet to figure out why.

Because they get volume discounts. USPS offers no discounts.

We as consumers may pay $10 to Fedex for a overnight 1 LB package, a volume retailer pays probably only $5. (This is an example only. The rates may be different.) same with UPS.

Also, with UPS and Fedex, the volume shipper has less risk, and doesn't have to purchase aditional insurance, and if the shipment is lost or damaged, they pay the claim right away. After all, businesses are their bread an butter. That is why when an individual ships with them, and the shipment gets lost or damaged, they either deny the claim, or drag their feet long enough so the customer goes away without collecting. if they did that to their business customers, they'd lose big time.

As a consumer, I use USPS whenever possible. One of the others gets the nod only when USPS won't accept the package.

Well, UPS isnt any better.

I just sent a SMALL knife to Italy and the CHEAP way was $65, the next faster way was $75!!!! Huh???? :(

USPS does offer a good price depending on the weight. The biggest reason why on-line retailers don't like USPS both stateside and International orders is the lack of tracking. If it gets lost it is almost impossible to find. If you insure the package it takes months to get paid if you get paid and the cost of the insurance is extremely high.

Another prime reason is if the package is lost and you cannot track its location the customer will always blame the retailer. A good retailer will eat the loss and send out another package. This time via UPS or FedEx.
My 2 cents worth.

Neko2

Gold Member
FedEx ans UPS (DHL too for that matter) are not the place to go for cheap international shipping. The USPS will beat them every time on price.
Speed and security however, are what you pay the premium for. If your item can wait and it isn't in need of tracking then USPS is fine. Heck, I work for FedEx and use the USPS sometimes myself.

As for shipping refunds, I have never seen FedEx refuse when something is their fault. I've seen 2 packages late in 9mo and both were promptly paid.

As for the $50, I have no idea and would suggest getting an international shipping manager on the phone rather than the standard customer service person. It sounds like the local contractor is charging some sort of markup but I've never heard anything like that before. I've seen items cost well over $300 to ship internationally but that is all up front. The only thing I've seen charged later is duties and taxes. The only other thing I could think of is that they had to bail your item out of customs because it was demed by the customs officials as more valuable or different than described. Customs can levy fees, destroy items and basically do whatever they want. If they told the contractor they had to pay another $50 for that package... I guess they could have called and asked you first but it sounds like more of a customs issue from what I've seen.

I'll try and see if I can figure out what that fee was for from someone in FedEx. Would you (Joseph r.c.) be willing to give me the tracking number from that package? I'll see what i can do.

N2

Neko2:

The invoice from AG Russel had the exact description of the goods in the package and the exact price (no more ,no less).

The invoice from fedex clearly separates customs duties and taxes from fedex "services" (handling, stamps and paperwork and administrative costs).

I didn´t get no tracking number but in the package there is;
trk# 7928 0866 4640 (form 0430)
hope this can help

Has for speed and security i think is a matter of luck; in December i got a big knife from USPS in 4 days, and this package from fedex took 3 weeks.

p.s. i did a search in some portuguese foruns and it looks like this really is "normal" and fedex here has lots of returned packages because people want pay sometimes the double of the price of theirs orders. Also a lot of complaints filled-- but no responses.

Neil Ostroff

Gold Member
this package from fedex took 3 weeks
I ship packages to Europe almost every day and try to use FedEx whenever possible. UPS is ok, but for fast, secure and premium service, I still rely on FedEx.

I will usually decline to ship any order (outside of North America) by the postal service and try to convince the buyer to choose either FedEx or UPS.

I looked up the tracking number and is seems that the package was sent on 12/22 and delivered on 12/31.

Excluding the pickup day, this is 9 transit days. This included the Christmas holidays (on both sides of the ocean) and customs clearance. Your city is not a major center, like Lisbon or Oporto- - that might have resulted in more time to get to you by truck and explain the need for the third party to make the final delivery.

Seems to be reasonable to me- not fantastic, but acceptable considering the time of year, the unpredictability of Customs and the final destination.

Happy New Year to all,

Neil

You are right Neil, but I forgot to tell you that the 9 days was the time that the package took the second time AG russel sent it to me (the first time fedex told them that there was something wrong with the package and turned it back).

But nevermind the time,.....for me 3 weeks was no big deal if they wouldn´t charge me for the extra 50$ US.

This really is what happens here in Portugal, i´m not a liar, and i´m not trying to burn fedex reputation, but this is what happens here, and for me it doesn´t work.

Thak you all for your patience while reading this thread

Danbo

Platinum Member
tom mayo said:
Well, UPS isnt any better.

I just sent a SMALL knife to Italy and the CHEAP way was $65, the next faster way was $75!!!! Huh???? :(

??? Tom, I sent Nathan S. in Italy, one of your medium DNTs a few months ago, and used USPS Global Express. It didn't cost anywhere near that much; maybe $25. ???

By the way, USPS Global Priority is NOT trackable, once it leaves the U.S. Trust me, I know from a bad experience.