Was told that Victorinox suspended domestic distribution

I have an account with a knife wholesaler out of Amarillo, TX and received their monthly mailer yesterday. In bold type at the top, they stated that Victorinox and Forschner have suspended domestic distribution and the wholesaler only had their current stock. No new orders were being accepted at that time. Has anyone else heard this news? I did a quick look on the Victorinox website but could not confirm anything.

Andrew

Yeah, I heard about this as well. Jeff Randall over in the ESEE forum started a thread about it.

Pretty disappointing, if you ask me. :thumbdn:

Kyle.

Thanks insomnia for the tip about the ESEE forum. There is an even better thread started in TGBU that dates from 05-11. I was just looking for some confirmation and I have got it now.

Andrew

Here's the thread insomnia referenced.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749336

ETA: Good find HeathHall, I'd forgotten all about it. - here's that one as well.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740087&highlight=victorinox

To me (and most other knuts, I gather), a huge part of the appeal of SAKs is that most models are readily available. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how these deals play out - my thinking is that the mfrs will end up hurting themselves in the long run.

Last edited:
Two things have occurred with Victorinox. They instituted a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price Policy) last year and require dealers to comply with that policy or risk losing their Authorized Dealership. Secondly, Victorinox has discontinued all distribution through wholesale outlets and now sells ONLY through Authorized Dealers. Has no special impact on U.S. or anywhere specifically. Only means that knives must be purchased through Authorized Dealers. The intent is to strengthen the dealer network and cut down on cutthroat underpricing, screwing dealers. Time will tell what the effect will actually be.

it was an step in the right direction, some "dealers" did sell sak way under the suggested mrsp and do compromise the work of the manufacturer to level the pricefield and get an fair price for theyr hard laber manufactured swiss quality tools. it dont matter if that dealers do for charity or not, the prices must be within level. its plain simple not fair against the manufacturer and its employees to do that!

it was an step in the right direction, some "dealers" did sell sak way under the suggested mrsp and do compromise the work of the manufacturer to level the pricefield and get an fair price for theyr hard laber manufactured swiss quality tools. it dont matter if that dealers do for charity or not, the prices must be within level. its plain simple not fair against the manufacturer and its employees to do that!

I disagree. The market should set the price. I believe this is a violation of US law. In fact there is a case going to the Supreme court about this very thing. Costco VS Swatch (Omega) I for one hope Costco wins.

Does anyone know if this will affect the availibilty of our favorite Models?... I honestly don;t mind paying a little more.. as long as I can still get them.

Does anyone know if this will affect the availibilty of our favorite Models?... I honestly don;t mind paying a little more.. as long as I can still get them.
There will be no change to the model line due to these changes.

I nev er really understood the idea behind MAP anyway. BTW Bark River does the same thing.

I mean, from the manufacturer's standpoint, they get their asking price no matter how much the dealer charges. So I'd think that if a dealer was selling it way below his competitors, then they'd sell more knives, which would provide more demand for Victorinox to make more, and sell to that dealer at their wholesale price.

Unless they are trying to be "nice" and stop the big houses from selling at a loss until they starved their competitors out of business.

well, the us laws are one thing, unpredictable.

the idea by an mrsp is that the dealer now for how much he can sell the goods. if he do so, say 10% less than that, his margin is smaller. in swiss, 10%ish is ok.

if he has an online store, dont pay rent for an normal store, nor have to have that stock or give the buyers suggestions etc, then he sell his knives say for 14% on top of what he pay as an dealer, plus let the stocking distributor, where he orders from, dropship directly to the customer, cutting one mailway and that price too, then this is maybe us market, but sure not ok. at least not for the manufacturer.

the problem is that if an knife is mrsp $ 100 and some dealers, charity or not or for any reason, sell it for say $ 60, then the "good" dealers cant sell theyr knives anymore or at least way harder. the customers think because you get that knife so cheap, its bad quality and or dont sell well, witch hurts the manufacturer and sooner or later hurt the market of his product. in some regards this is joust not working.

i now that some of us have to work on an budget, me too, but we cant expect from an quality product like an sak, made in switzerland, an high price country, to be cheap priced. i say eaven for the full mrsp its an bargain! if we can afford that is an different question but mrsp are needed and these dealers who dont do it that way will sooner or later get dropped in the supply line.

+B
swissbianco.com

well, the us laws are one thing, unpredictable.

the idea by an mrsp is that the dealer now for how much he can sell the goods. if he do so, say 10% less than that, his margin is smaller. in swiss, 10%ish is ok.

if he has an online store, dont pay rent for an normal store, nor have to have that stock or give the buyers suggestions etc, then he sell his knives say for 14% on top of what he pay as an dealer, plus let the stocking distributor, where he orders from, dropship directly to the customer, cutting one mailway and that price too, then this is maybe us market, but sure not ok. at least not for the manufacturer.

the problem is that if an knife is mrsp $ 100 and some dealers, charity or not or for any reason, sell it for say $ 60, then the "good" dealers cant sell theyr knives anymore or at least way harder. the customers think because you get that knife so cheap, its bad quality and or dont sell well, witch hurts the manufacturer and sooner or later hurt the market of his product. in some regards this is joust not working.

i now that some of us have to work on an budget, me too, but we cant expect from an quality product like an sak, made in switzerland, an high price country, to be cheap priced. i say eaven for the full mrsp its an bargain! if we can afford that is an different question but mrsp are needed and these dealers who dont do it that way will sooner or later get dropped in the supply line.

+B
swissbianco.com
I resent you comments about "Charities". I happen to represent a charity AND I am an authorized dealer AND we comply with the MAP policy. Your implication that we are not "good" dealers is offensive.

its not specific against you, dont worry, you are one of my dealers too.

but we will see how long autorized dealership for sutch dealers will last in the future.

but we will see how long autorized dealership for sutch dealers will last in the future.

Just out of curiosity, how many other authorized dealers also represent charities. I only know of one.

Felinevet is my SAK dealer of choice. I always look to his site to see if they have what I am looking for. He provides the some of the best customer service out there and I cannot imagine any company not wanting him as one of their dealers. In all of my dealings he has set a standard for other dealers to live up to.

for online buying. couldnt websites just advertise the price in cart only as a way get around the advertised price rule

for online buying. couldnt websites just advertise the price in cart only as a way get around the advertised price rule

Some try to do that but the MAP policy specifically prohibits that as well as "call for price", etc.

One workaround that's apparently OK, at least with some manufacturers, is when the seller provides its own discount coupon for the item.

Does the policy allow dealers to buy from other dealers and resell overseas?

amazonorders.jpg

Back