1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

We all know one

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hickory n steel, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Zulus

Zulus Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2020
    All life I'm trying to not cut myself.
    Or others.

But looks I missed something now ...

2. Boombats

Boombats Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    When I lived in a cabin with a wood stove, I had a little double-sided axe that I'd split logs with. The ceilings were really low in there so I'd have to truncate my swing in order not to hit them. So, this axe had a double-pronged beak on the backside- it was some specialized thing for fire or linemen or something. Anyway so you know where this is going: a log got stuck on the blade, I lifted the whole thing up to slam it down, and the beak went right into the top of my skull

3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That would be me, but it happens from time to time. The stubbing thing.... I purposely wear shoes inside the house to avoid damaging my toes! :D

gazz98 likes this.
  4. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    I think cutting yourself is a good thing. It staves off complacency and makes you more aware of whats going on, reminds you blades are sharp, etc. It encourages you to not do what you were doing when you got cut.

I still remember the first time got cut, with my first knife at four years old. Pain is a good teacher.
    I also remember the last time I cut myself, and all of the times I cut myself really badly.

Being in construction, its not uncommon to cut yourself unfortunately.

I also know that often times I'm thinking, "if I don't quit, I'm going to cut myself". Guess what happens next?

Knife safety is important. But so is getting cut.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  5. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I nick myself often. I’m pretty cavalier when playing with knives.
    All my work shirts have little holes from being reckless when skinning wire.

6. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    In case you screw up deployment and drop the knife.

elde66 likes this.
  7. Boombats

Boombats Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Oh ok, the way you said it made it sound like there was some kind of foot-assisted opening technique haha

8. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Oh I’d love to put this to the test.

It’s almost as if these products are direct challenges to knife and sharpening nuts here on BladeForums.

9. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    LMAO. That sounds pretty cool though, hehe.

Retired UPS Driver likes this.
  10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Officially were supposed to be using cut resistant gloves when cutting boxes at work, but theres lots of other safety stuff like this I've never even seen once around the place .

11. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    @DangerZone98
    they don't claim to protect you from anything - there are standards - it's simple to look into it... some have much better cut resistance than others - tests correspond to 'N' newtons of force with a razor over a certain time/or number of 'passes'

"For example, if the material can withstand between 500 and 999 grams (1.1 to 2.2 pounds) of pressure on the blade before it is cut, it would be considered cut level 2. A cut level 5 glove would have to withstand at least 3,500 grams (7.7 pounds) on the blade without the material being cut through."

https://us.pipglobal.com/en/updated-en-388-standard/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  12. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    If you're that worried get a chain mail butcher's glove.

13. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982

Mar 23, 2011
    I've only cut myself with a knife a few times but I can't go a few days without getting some mystery cut at work.

14. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    In the garage or at work you name it , but rarely are they a result of knives.

15. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Indeed, that's the best kind of glove. I wore one for 46 years and I can't tell you how many times I ran the blade (dulling the edge) over my fingers, or stabbed the point into my hand. I was quite clumsy, but still have all my digits.

16. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    That's a good example of "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." :D

17. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I occasionally (but not too often) experience a minor cut, usually when sharpening. I think the two worse cuts I've experienced have both been in knife stores, which is very embarrassing! Once, many years ago, I was looking at a Buck 102 and managed to poke the tip into a finger. Recently I was checking out a peanut. I didn't realize it had half stops so when I opened it the blade hit the stop and my finger kept going. Fortunately, both cuts were handled with Band-Aids, nothing worse.

18. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    My wife is the worst. She managed to poke her finger, and bleed, with a painters tool. She cut herself opening a package of cheese, I don't even know how. If she doesn't nick herself at least once while cooking something isn't right.

I'd love to get her into knives, but I feel it would not be wise. And she agrees.

I've got myself a few times, but when I was a kid, about 4, I sliced my thumb open really good with my dad's sak. Don't push the blade open by the edge. Yea, I learned a good lesson then. I don't know if that knife was just sharp, or my dad could sharpen, but man it cut cleanly...

19. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    My mother is the exception to the dull knives being more dangerous rule. I can sharpen her kitchen knives and she’ll cut herself in a matter of minutes. Give her a dull knife and she does just fine.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  20. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I think that's probably why my brother rarely cuts himself.
    He's ADD ADHD and bipolar, but since his cheap knives are so dull and the edges stay fully coated in tape residue he remains safe.
    It's like he's cutting open packages with a big spring assisted house key :D

I think the dull is dangerous rule only applies if a knife is still sort of sharp.

21. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    My daughter-in-law somehow seems to cut herself often. It is a source of family jokes now.