We Need More Tactical Kitchen Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by fulloflead, Jun 18, 2009.

1. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    The very same.

2. bodhizatfa

bodhizatfa

Jun 19, 2009
    this is my first post so bear with me. i make several of my knives that my wife calls her "kitchen knives". i just sold this one to a new customer who is former infantry and knows what is needed in the field. thanks for looking. the little one is my pocket knife.

bodhizatfa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Trace Rinaldi

Trace Rinaldi

Oct 3, 1998

What the OP is talking about is very much what Joe Talmadge and I talked about years ago. He gave me the parameters, and a wealth of knowledge and what came from that is the TTKK..Its gone through quite a bit of refining over the years from the original version, but the idea is the same..

Here are some of the variations..

Attached Files:

4. antonio_luiz

antonio_luiz

Jul 23, 2008
    Guard useful but not necessary. There are more ways to using a knife for CQC other than stabbing, but even so, John Ek demonstrated that his original (guardless) commando knife was very secure for stabbing by slamming it into a wooden floor when it had grease on the grip. The statistical likelihood of my having to use any of my kitchen knives for SD are pretty remote so I'll continue choose those that are functionally and ergonomically ideal for their primary use - in the kitchen.

5. blackfeetmageet

blackfeetmageet

May 11, 2009
    Pocket chainsaw... hmmm?

How about a tactical chainsaw :D

6. Swedge

Swedge

Dec 23, 2008
    Sounds like the motion picture The Texas Chainsaw Massacre might reflect the use of a chainsaw as a "tactical chainsaw."

Now we need to figure out how to adapt a tactical chainsaw for kitchen use. :D

7. fulloflead

fulloflead

May 3, 2002
    Sweet!:thumbup::cool:

8. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
  9. symphonyincminor

symphonyincminor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Custom strider [not mine]:

[​IMG]

10. J_Curd

J_Curd Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2006
    I believe my Shun Santuko actually qualifies...wicked sharp and quick. :) I was amazed how sharp that knife got...like a barbers razor.

11. enderwiggin

enderwiggin

Nov 18, 2006
    Some very cool examples of how this can be done well are pictured in this thread!

I'd love to see more mid to high-end kitchen knives aimed at knife enthusiasts, period.

12. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
  13. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    It just occurs to me that many Scrap Yard models can work as kitchen knives. Offset handle, very low profile front guard, and flat ground.

14. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
    As I was re-reading some of my old TK issues last night, I was reminded at how the design of the kitchen/culinary meets the "tactical" (camp and fighting duties) model was already done some generations back in South America, specifically by the Argentinian cowboys: the gauchos of the pampas (plains). Their cuchillo gauchos and facons were basically French chef's knives patterns but were used in everything from fighting/duelling (being thrown even) to praparing the asado (roast) to being used as a trowel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DoctaD

DoctaD

Apr 13, 2006
    +++1 to the OP

16. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    great post, untamed - totally forgot about the gaucho knife. :thumbup:

Sooo.....what would be a modern "tactical" version of that?

Dan

17. untamed

untamed

Jan 7, 2003
    Oooooooohhh! Do I detect another masterful Koster design in the works? ;) :cool: :thumbup:

18. Steinerj

Steinerj

Jul 6, 2005
    I have a question you guys may be able to answer. How thick (spine) can one go on a general purpose kitchen knife? The reason I asked is that I promised my special lady friend a kitchen knife but ran out of 1/8 stock so all I have is 3/16ths flat. What edge geometry would you like for a blade this thick?

19. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Alot of Busse people use their smaller models as kitchen knives and I use some of my smaller fixed blades and have for years off and on.

There are some pretty strong kitchen knives out there on the market that can fill that roll. :)

20. Phillip Dobson

Phillip Dobson

Jun 26, 2009
    I think you could make it work. If you made the blade extra deep, it would lower the grind angle to something that sliced well. Make sure to take the edge down to almost nothing and give it a distal taper as well. Remove as much metal as possible. This would be a good application for a large-radius hollow grind. You might want to do something to lighten the tang to keep the balance good.