We will be changing forums software in the next 48-72 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Hey guys, thanks for your patience. I've completed testing and we will be switching over to the new software in the next few days. I am coordinating with the tech guys and while we will strive to minimize downtime, there will be a period of 12-24 hours that the forums will be inaccessible, followed by a time of limited accessibility as we configure & make changes.

The process:
  1. The forums will be closed to new activity.
  2. The forums database(s) will be exported & then converted to the new software format. Existing db issues will be fixed
  3. The databases, attachments & the rest will be imported to the new site
  4. I will configure various settings on the back end
  5. Site will be brought up to confirm operation
  6. Site will change over to replace existing http://www.bladeforums.com landing pages

Questions you may have:

Will my paid subscription / iTrader stats / postings / avatar / etc transfer over?
Yes. Though the software will change, there you won't lose any post counts, stats or anything else. Active posts in the Exchange will still be there.

Will the forums work better?
Ideally yes. We're switching over to a new database configuration and a much better software platform that is supposedly more stable, scalable, and doesn't have the same sorts of issues that vB has. Hopefully that means less database errors, more uptime, and a smoother experience.

Will old threads still show up?
Of course. Redirects from google & such should still happen as well for all the good search engine stuff.

Will the new site be friendlier for phones & tablets
The new site uses "responsive" site design to provide a better experience across all platforms. I'm debating supporting Tapatalk though.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer until we shut down for the switch over.

Thanks Kevin, great news.......best of luck for the changeover.:thumbup::)

Hey folks, don't forget the Blade Forums Facebook page to get your BF fix while Kevin and the software guys work their magic. Don't forget to like the Blade Forums Facebook page while gettin' your BF fix, Click the link to take you to BFC's Facebook page.

See you folks there. ;)

ETA while the forums are down, BF may be the best place to get any updates. Just remember Kevin's gonna be busier than...(pick one)

1. ( )a one-armed paperhanger with a case of the hives.( )
  2. ( )a one-eyed cat watching nine rat holes.
  3. ( )a one-legged man in a butt kickin’ contest.
  4. ( )a one-toothed man in a corn-on-the-cob eating contest.
  5. ( )a mosquito at a nudist colony.
  6. ( )a one-armed paper hanger.
  7. ( )a cross-eyed air traffic controller.
  8. ( )a set of jumper cables at a country funeral.
  9. ( )a cat with puppies.
  10. ( )a weatherman in a tornado.
  11. ( )a desert cobra at a mongoose convention.
  12. ( )a termite in a saw mill.
  13. ( )a dog scratching fleas.
  14. ( )a one-armed trombone player.
  15. ( )a rooster in a henhouse.

Last edited:
I know from experience this is no small task. Everyone should expect a few growing pains and initial glitches, as with all new software implementations. Bravo, Spark... and thank you.

Thanks for all your hard work to keep the forums up and running. And we appreciate the heads up.

I prefer to view the desktop version of a webpage even from my mobile device. Will the new site automatically direct moblie devices to a mobile version of the site? I hope not.
Firefox lets the user request the desktop version but some browsers like Opera don't.

Thanks.

Thanks for working hard in improving the forums.

Fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly and as planned.

YES...please support Tapatalk. If not I may be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not Tapatalk...have an iPhone Android app made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet, im pretty excited about it! I really enjoyed using the beta of it.

If not Tapatalk...have an iPhone Android app made.

First, turn off your Tapatalk signature.

Second, you can see what the new forums will look like by going to http://xf.bladeforums.com where we have the test boards set up. Tapatalk is not installed, but the forum is phone friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back