Weak Opening Spring on 110 Auto?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by K Williams, Jan 14, 2020.

1. K Williams

K Williams Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Is there a reason why the spring on the 110 Auto is so weak? It's brand new, and barely opens fully. Also, is there a simple fix for this problem? Thanks.

2. GPyro

GPyro Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Mine got dirty and slowed down
    I oiled it well and it's good as new.

Sometimes new knives just have gunk in them.
    I'd spray it well with wd40 and exercise the knife
    It should free up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    _Jim_, K Williams and Daniel like this.
  3. kossetx

kossetx Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2017
    I'd bet a flushing will fix it. Fruit juice slows mine down but a little water flush solves it. You might need more than water but it should be (de)solvable.

_Jim_ and K Williams like this.
  4. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    WD 40 will actually remove any lubricant and then evaporate. I would use CLP or just plain 3 in 1 oil and work it until it's clean. Sometimes the polishing rogue get's down in the mechanism and needs to be flushed out. I heard olive oil works well if you're going to cut food with it.

I've been a commercial locksmith for 30 years and people using WD40 on their locks do more damage than any type of foreign matter. It washes the graphite into a clump, then evaporates, then the graphite acts as an abrasive and wears away the metal creating gouges that prematurely wears out the key cylinder mechanism...

FWG, _Jim_, st8yd and 5 others like this.
  5. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    wonder if naptha or zippo lighter fluid would harm the wood on a Buck auto? we use that in otf autos to clean them out when they fail from debris and over oiling etc. it evaporates but leave a fine oily film that doesnt gather dust, dirt and debris like oils tend to.

I've used hot water and soap to clean a gunked up standard 110 before. then used wd40 to help displace the water in the pivot and air compressor to remove it and rest of water. seemed fine to me with no ill effects. not sure I'd use soap and hot water on the auto version though.

GPyro and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  6. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    Have you ever noticed that if you use WD40 on a squeaky wheel the next time it squeaks a little more and so on??

We use to say it was better to spit on something than to use WD40 for a lubricant. As a water displacement (WD), it works great....

It's hard to find and kinda expensive but I think LPS #3 would work great. It would wash any foreign matter, lubricate, rust inhibitor, and leave a lubricating film behind....

_Jim_, K Williams and jbmonkey like this.
  7. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    yes Sir. I'm not a great fan of it unless trying to remove water but that's debatable as well. like even in a lock as you pointed out.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  8. GPyro

Apr 18, 2019
    Good point on the wd40.
    I was thinking it was under pressure and could help clean it out.

I usually wash a gunked up knife in hot soapy water and then I oil my knives with sewing machine oil.

I too wondered about submerging the auto in water....
    Is that spring prone to rust?

Thanks for the insight Sassafrass'.
    One of the best things about this forum are the knowledgeable folks here.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 3:27 AM
    sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  9. GPyro

Apr 18, 2019
    Off topic, sorry.
    I sometimes spray my locks on the cars with wd40 to keep them from freezing.
    Maybe I should be using something else. Cb blaster maybe?
    Hoping Sassafrass' can weigh in.
    Thanks.
    Back to regularly scheduled thread.......

10. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I know what the locksmiths say, and by no means want to go against any tradesman with 30 years of experience. So I mean no disrespect with the following.

In my experience If I don’t squirt wd40 into locks they stop working after a while.

If I squirt in Wd40 they start to work again and if kept sprayed they work forever after.

There are certainly better oils out there, but I have a never ending supply of free WD40. So it gets used a lot. But I don’t use it on knives or guns.

I think the OP’s knife needs to be flushed out and re-lubed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 7:03 AM
  11. kossetx

Apr 11, 2017
    Use an oil called triflow. It is designed to prevent rust and displace dirt.

GPyro and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  12. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    You shouldn't put any type of liquid in a lock. Graphite is the best lubricant for locks. The reason WD40 works the lock is that it's wet, that's why we say spitting on it would be better. There is a product out there that is made specifically for frozen locks. It de-ices them then evaporates leaving the lock dry, then apply graphite. If you keep spraying liquid in them they'll keep freezing. Plus liquid attracts dirt...

Carburator cleaner would work, just watch getting on the paint....

Sorry for the off topic, back to the op original question....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    eveled, jbmonkey and GPyro like this.
  13. GPyro

Apr 18, 2019
    Thanks guys!

14. kossetx

Apr 11, 2017
    i was meaning on the pivot...What is this frozen lock thing you all are speaking of anyway.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    jbmonkey and GPyro like this.
  15. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    Triflow would work great for the pivot and rocker pin....

jbmonkey likes this.
  16. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    When you live in area's that get below freezing for the winter, any moisture, rain, car wash, or condensation will freeze the tumblers/wafers in the lock and you can't get your key in to unlock the door...

jbmonkey likes this.
  17. kossetx

Apr 11, 2017

sorry Don, I was joshing. It was 81 deg here today.

drei3ree, st8yd, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.
  18. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    Ha!Ha! I've lived in Southern California for the last 35 years. I had to remember back when I was living in NW Illinois to answer your question.....:eek::eek::eek::D

jbmonkey likes this.
  19. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I find WD40 is good for two things, removing sticker adhesive and machining aluminum.

20. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I use it to flush every 110 out especially Automatics. Seems to do a decent job of breaking up the polishing compound. I clean the WD40 out with soap and water. Then blow dry and 1 drop of oil on the pivot then wipe away any excess.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    sassafrassdogs3 and Daniel like this.