wegner jr.?

What is the construction of the Wegner Jr. like? Does it have single, partial liner a la Military? Or does it have a full liner, or two liners?

Got an itch I can't scratch, and looking for a scratcher...
wink.gif

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

OD, the Wegner Jr. has the same construction as the full-size Wegner. It is rivetted with a full length stainless spacer and a single full length liner, as a result it feels very solid in the hand.

Great way to scratch an itch
smile.gif
. The little Wegner was my first Spydie and is responsible for getting me hooked on the hole. IMHO it is just about the nicest and most useful small folder around and I can't understand why it hasn't ben more popular. It has been my daily carry until recently and still gets rotated with the BF Native, Viele and Worker.

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

The Wegner Jr. has a single full liner which is also machined and formed and used as the liner lock. The other side butts up to the G10

Take care,
Tom

Oops...Clay beat me to the punch.

[This message has been edited by Tmac (edited 25 August 1999).]

I'll second Clay's remarks.. the Wegner Jr is like a (little) tank ... my favorite Spydie and overall knife.

There's only a single liner and the opposite G-10 scale is unlined, but has a rock solid feel owing to the hefty SS spacer.

Also, I don't know what they use for washers, but all the Wegner Jrs I've played with had the smoothest action!

I'm with Clay and Longden on the little Wegner. It is my favorite and most carried Spyderco. It scratched my itch so well that I bought a spare
wink.gif

Bill

Outlaw DB, get one whilst you can! At least before the itch turns into a rash or something worse...hehe. They're one of the nicer everyday knives on the market.

Chad

------------------
savsport@xta.com

AKTI Member #A000094

Honey, I swear that's the last knife I'm going to buy...

The wegner jr. was also one of my earlier spyderco's and I must say, it is still one of my favorites. The size is perfect for daily carry and like the others said, the fit and finish are excellent and it is built like a tank. You'll also notice that the profile of the wegner jr. is relatively thin. I was comparing it to my BF Native the other night. It is actually quite a bit thinner that the Native. I think this is why I find it more comfortable to carry. I'm seriously thinking of buying another one before they are discontinued.

Is the jr. being discontinued? I thought it was the full size that was being discontinued, for some reason.

Thanks for all the replies. On the list it goes....

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

My list shows the Jr. being discontinued. Darn! I like that little knife.

Bladetech had been advertizing them at a deep discounted price for quite awhile in the gun & knife magazines. I couldn't compete with that and didn't sell many. I guess the same was true with most of the other dealers too.

They finally got their prices up but, by then, it was too late. A classic example of what deep discounting can do to the market.

Oh well. I guess I'd better stock up on some.

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
(Buy a gun....Piss off a liberal!)
La Mesa, Kalifornica
wrightknife@ixpres.com

Hello,

The Wegner Junior is my everyday carry knife since Blues offers it for my birthday the 22 of april...
This much more than a great little knife, for me it's the best folder in his category.

I have talk with Joyce Laituri who has confirmed to me its "termination" !

But with Fred Perrin we will post a Review of that great little folder with pictures !

Cheers,

JM

I forgot to add that the curved shape of the handle and blade make for great ergonomics in handling and blade deployment.

Plus the fairly robust 1/8" skinner blade will help if your itch is ever more than skin deep (yuk, I can't believe I actually said that)... how about in case you ever have the occasion to skin small game (ie woodchucks).

Anyone know if the large Wegner is also being assasinated ... ah, I mean, terminated, ... ah, I mean, discontinued?

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

Does anyone know if the large Wegner is also being assassinated, ... ah, I mean, terminated, ... ah, I mean, discontinued?

I believe the full-size Wegner is continuing. I just got one and it is as good as everybody here has said. I find the size more convenient than the Military I got at the same time. Started me thinking that I really need a Starmate
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

I'd be interested in hearing any comparisons between the Wegner (Sr) and the Starmate.

I know the latter is lighter and can probably hold an edge better (with 440V vs ATS-34). Both are a tad big for my hands or needs, but I was just curious about what others felt about the design differences in terms of carry and use.

After carrying the Wegner for over a year, the Starmate drove me crazy at first, owing to the fingerwell being cut out only on the "front" side. I had gotten used to really gripping hard into the fingerwell, and with the slab and liner left high, it dug into my index finger quite uncomfortably.

After having the back side slab and liner milled down to approximate the Wegner, I'm left with two knives that are both extremely comfortable, and extremely well balanced. They each have their plusses, and they each have very few, if any, serious minusses.

The Wegner is uncharacteristically "soft". It's lines and edges are all curves. It is a knife meant to be used hard, and is strong and comfortable in all tasks. It is heavier than the Starmate, owing to it's steel backspacer and full liner (rather than the inset liner-lock piece of the Starmate). I like both of these features, and think that they are worth their weight. The Wegner is clipped for tip-up carry. Since it Spyder drops super-fast (if you've got the handle weight, use it!), I like this arrangement. The Wegner is a natural for reverse grip.

The Starmate has a lot more straight lines and angles. It has a much more "tactical" look and feel. The thumb ramp is exceptionally well designed, and super comfortable. Because it is designed "straighter", I find the point easier to index than the Wegner, and more suited to the more common fighting styles. I do not particularly care for the "raised" lettering style on the blade. This is my first experience with CPM-440V, and I am SOLD! Having notched out the back side slab and liner, the knife is now much easier to grip and drop. This being the case, I'd also like this knife tip up.

The Wegner and the Starmate are my two current "favorite" carry knives, and although I miss one when carrying the other, it is only because I love them both, not because one is better than the other. Ah, my kids...I love them all!

Brian,

I'm a little confused by your post (actually I'm a little confused by life, but that's another story
smile.gif
). If I read it correctly you seem to suggest that you prefer tip-up for the Spydie drop whereas I had thought conventional wisdom was that tip-down was better for "the drop". I must say I find it easier to "drop" the Military, my thumb is already in the hole as I draw the knife and the handle is ready to drop. OTOH the Wegner has to rotate forward before the handle is in the right position to drop. It was actually the tip-down carry that started me thinking about the Starmate.

I hope all that made sense. Could you describe how you draw the knife and why tip-up works better for you?

------------------
Take care,
Clay

(OK, how many times can I re-write this...? It's so damn hard to describe some of the simplest things!)

I find that the benefit of tip-up carry stems from a starting position that has the knife handle in the palm, rather than extended from pinched finger and thumb, and supported by the remaining fingers.

This lets the knife be drawn completely "in-hand" rather than with the handle exposed.

The concealment benefit here is obvious, but it also extends use to include striking with the closed object, immediately on the draw. With a little brick like the Wegner in hand, both butt strikes, or even opening the fist and slapping are non-lethal alternatives.

True, the knife must be repositioned to drop, but with a nice, loose swing, the handle weight (ah, Wegner, sweet Wegner!), carries the knife easily into position and drops to open. If desired, the knife can be opened in standard fashion directly from this grip, as well.

I find the movement more natural than dropping with a jerk from a "pinch" and winds up with the handle much closer to natural position. I think this is because tip up, the knife is drawn so much deeper in the palm, rather than with the thumb and forefinger extended.

I also found the knife easier to open with work gloves on, because the initial draw was done with the whole hand, rather than relying on the thumb-forefinger pinch, and again, the more natural positioning on completion of the movement.

Come to think of it, I don't know that I'm terribly turned on by tip-down at all any more...

[This message has been edited by Brian_Turner (edited 02 September 1999).]

Brian,

Thanks mate, that makes a lot of sense. I do prefer tip-up for my smaller knives, but that is because I use my thumb to open them, particularly in the classroom (for obvious reasons
smile.gif
). The Wegner and the Military are my only larger knives and I have been experimenting with carry and opening methods, hence the query.

BTW if you save your reply in Notepad, you won't have to rewrite it when you get the same stupid question again
smile.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Hey fellas I figured I'd better jump in and address these posts concerning the Wegner Jr. and the Wegner full size. Yes the Jr. is being discontinued at this time, although we will be recieving a substantial number in at Blade-Tech sometime this month.
At this time I am considering an option to purchase the Jrs. on an exclusive basis from Spyderco and selling them through Blade-tech to dealers and distributors etc... If I chose to do this I will be requiring at least one modification to the Jr. and that will be to enlarge the existing thumbhole to approx. the same dimension as on the full size Wegner.
The full size I'm happy to say is still in the Spydie lineup and selling well. Sal and I have recently discussed possible future upgrades to the fullsize Wegner, one being a VG10 blade and a new locking system (maybe a rolling lock). I would like to see combo-edge serrations smaller (Like the Jr.) One other possible change would be to slightly enlarge its thumbhole as well.
Something that seems to keep coming up are the references to discounted pricing.
I did try and explain this in a previous post but, here goes again. When the C48 & C49 first came out I had placed thousands of
dollars in magazine ads all at full retail price, only to find to my dismay, that other venders via the net, mail order and at shows were already deeply discounting the knives. This left me with a huge inventory of blades that had to be sold. At that point I had no other choice but to follow suit and fight fire with fire. I did bring the pricing back up closer to where it should be, but there have been several screw-ups where new ads were placed and old ads ended up in print instead of in round file. (More frustruation!!!).
Oops! I almost forgot to mention , that I have another project in the works, THE MOUSKINNA!
A mouse sized knife that can do a moose sized job!!! It's a condensed version of the C48 with a 2 inch semi-skinner VG10 blade. The production version is slated to have hard anodized aluminum slabs and will
sport a back lock it will also have clip holes on either side for ambi-carry. I'll keep you posted as to when it's possible release might be and will have some pix on our soon to be updated website. @www.blade-tech.com

Thanks!
Tim Wegner
ANY ? email me at: tim@blade-tech.com

Back