wegner jr.?

Thanx Tim, you are welcome any time. James can probably scan the "Mouskinna". We're still 6 months out from delivery though. Which color anodizing did you decide on and do you have it or do I.
sal

Clay -

The re-write thing was because I kept revising what I had to say during the process - not because I've said it before. (Don't want anyone to think I was being snotty!)

It's hard to express physical movements in words, isn't it?

Did someone ask for a Starmate/Wegner comparison? I've been toting a Starmate since about as soon as the plain-edge became available (#538, plain-edges starting at 500) but that's only been a month or so. I acquired a Wegner on my recent trip to Golden. So this will be largely impressions of shape and construction, as neither knife has seen hard use.

The most striking thing about the two knives is that when you put the handles and fittings aside, the blades are nearly identical. Both are essentially hollow-ground drop-points with a long straight section, substantial belly, and a tough, centered tip - not a needle, but still effective for starting a cut. The Starmate blade is slightly longer and has a very shallow false edge that is purely cosmetic. The Starmate is in the 5/32" stock that it inherits from its Military cousin (perhaps more justified in the Military's full flat grind), versus the Wegner's 1/8" stock. Given the thinner stock and a slightly higher grind, blade geometry on the Wegner is expected to be slightly better, but not on any practical scale. One difference that should be quite noticeable in use is the steel; the Wegner is in the quite good ATS-34, while the Starmate boasts the fantastic particle-formed 440V.

It's worth noting that the blades differ around the hole - the Starmate has a "normal" sized hole, a sort of artistic flair on the hump, and fairly inneffectual grooving of the spine only down where it rests between the scales. The Wegner has a slightly smaller hole (so far no problem for me) and a long, effective area of grooving all along the backside of the hump.

After the blade, nearly all similarities end. Both knives are liner-locks, but the Starmate uses a nested liner with its lock set by an eccentric pivot. The Wegner has a full single liner with a standard pivot, so its locking position is set by the eyes of the craftsmen who build it (I examined several in order to find one with a lockup that allowed for wear; many Japanese-made linerlocks seem to have a locking bar which travels clear to the opposite scale before lockup
frown.gif
).

The Starmate blade locks against a steel stop-pin held by pressure in its scales, while the Wegner uses a system I've been eager to see more of, and instead locks against the front face of a full-length steel spacer. This gives the knife a closed back, good weight, and a very sturdy feel. While the Starmate is certainly sturdy, it has a lighter handle and only a partial spacer. A matter of personal preference, but I like the Wegner's approach, aside from the ugliness of its single full liner.

The construction of the Starmate is by Torx screws countersunk in both scales and threading into steel inserts in its spacer. This allows naughty customers to disassemble the knife for cleaning or modification. The Wegner, in contrast, has steel pins that pass through its spacer and liner and are domed against each scale. It also has a pin from the clip-side scale that holds the liner at the base of the lock. Disassembling this knife would require driving or drilling out the pins and replacing them - yuck! I can't say which construction method is ultimately stronger, but both knives are definitely tough enough for any reasonable use.

The Starmate uses its own unique clip, which is straight and surrounds the pivot in a manner similar to the Military. It screws into the nested liner with three 2-56 screws. The Wegner uses a standard Spydie clip, but I have two gripes with its attachment. The first is that it uses three 3-56 screws that only thread into the G-10 scale, despite the availability of the steel liner to hold threads. The second is that it is at the butt-end, which I am definitely against on a knife this size. This draw places the knife in the hand, but on a knife this large my thumb is far from the hole and I must "scoot" my grip awkwardly forward to open the knife. I have nothing against tip-up carry in a small knife, where a natural draw places it in the hand and ready to open, but if the knife is too large to allow this (and my hands are a bit small) I find it the slowest possible deployment, unless I open the knife with a very unfriendly wrist-flick. I'll be moving the clip on mine to allow tip-down carry and a "drop" opening.

The bad news is that I don't care for the grip on either knife; the good news is that both are easily fixed.

The Starmate only has a cutout for lock access on one side of the handle. This obstructs the hole from the clip side (important for fast access in "drop opening"), makes indexing sketchy, and leaves your finger to wrap around the rather sharp edge of the locking bar. I modified mine by putting this groove on both sides and increasing its width forward, which clears the hole, provides a solid finger-groove for indexing, and is more comfortable for me. This "locks" my grip in very comfortably, but it would not work well for someone with very large hands. The Starmate handle is also quite straight, a real departure from the curved handles of most Spydercos. This lets it support a hammer-grip much better, though it saber-grips well, and is just a nice change from the usual knives I carry (Military, Police, AFCK, etc.)

The grip on the Wegner puzzles me greatly. At the front is an enormous finger-groove, its entire length notched for better purchase on the lock. This groove is much too long and too shallow for one finger, but too short and too deeply curved for two (and, again, I have small hands!) Gripping the handle naturally, I find my first finger in the groove and my second on the hump that separates it from the rest of the handle. I don't get it! Despite this, the handle is very comfortable overall, with curves everywhere and excellent radiusing of the scales (the Starmate is chamfered). Quite opposite the Starmate, the handle is steeply curved, which I think I prefer overall, though it forces a saber-grip. My intention is to shorten the finger-groove area by removing some material to extend forward the curve on which the other fingers rest. This should be ideal for me, though I'm already shocked at how good the knife feels despite my clearly having the "wrong" grip. I would appreciate if Tim Wegner could explain the enormouse finger-groove area and whether it is intended for one huge finger or two tiny ones (it's 1 5/8" long).

Hmmm... this got quite long, didn't it. Well, new knife, ya know
wink.gif
To sum up:

I like both knives. Blades very similar, handles quite different. Starmate can be taken apart, Wegner can't. Starmate handle light and high-tech, Wegner handle heavy and brick-solid. Would prefer tip-down carry on the Wegner. Suggest modifying both handles, and am genuinely baffled at by the Wegner's finger groove despite liking it very much overall.

That's my $0.17 (at least!)

-Drew

Wow. Lots of good information here and presented well.

Tim: thanks for all that background information and the flash on the Mouskinna.

Drew: thanks for that really great comparative review, the quality of which would normally place it in the 'knife reviews' section.

I've got smallish hands also, and that's the reason I chose to go with C49 instead of the C48 (and a Mouskinna will probably find its way into my pocket someday). The smaller size also puts the hole more reasonably within reach for me than its big brother. I think the smaller proportions also addressed the problems with the large finger groove...maybe it was made for someone with a trigger finger enlarged by hunting
smile.gif

You mentioned that the Wegner blade was 1/8" stock, but the KnifeCenter lists it as 9/64" (just a shade between 1/8" and 5/32"). By comparison, the Wegner Jr was listed as 1/8" stock, which seems fairly robust for a smallish knife.

Hi Sal
I'm quite impressed with the Mouskinna protos
they really are excellent, every bit as much as the custom version. Sans the titanium slabs. I think I like the titanium lookalike hard anodized proto the best, which I already shipped back. Patrick should have it by now,aweb shot would be great! As soon as you get pricing, we can yak about the specifics. In fact he(Patrick)was going to try and schedule a phone conference as soon as it works for you. I is flexible and I well know that all good things take time,
You and your crew are awesome!!!. Keep up the great work!!!
PS, I just sent you a copy of my latest color ad. Let me know what you think! Also you can email me at: tim@blade-tech.com
Thanks!
Tim

Hi Drew
I appreciate your questions regarding the Wegner handle grip. I feel the best way to address this issue is to have you first visit our Blade-Tech website located @ www.blade-tech.com . Next go to contents, click on Knives and Accessories, then click on "The Wegner Clipit in action". Here you will find pictures of the knife being used in the field to whittle large tasty critters into more easily manageable pieces. (SORRY ABOUT THE BLOOD & GUTS!). In these pix you should also be able to see the knife being used in several grip configurations that will clearly show why the handle is shaped the way it is.
Now after you have checked the pictures out, I feel I can now better explain the grip to you. The finger cutout was not designed to be used specifically with one fingertip although it can be, especially if gloved. It was designed to be used more with the length of a finger running more diagonally accross the handle cutout during controlled cutting operations. Another way for a specific single finger grip is in a saber grip format, using the bottom part of the handle past the cutout to nest the last three fingers with the thumb resting on top of the serrated thumb rest. The butt of the knife would be nested in the meaty base of the palm for maximum thrusting grip support. I personally like the larger cutout because it gives me the ability to use more of the length of my middle fingertip when choking up on the knife while doing field work on game where maximum control and dexterity are required.(See pix). Another by product of the larger cutout is that it also works very well in reverse grip. By having the larger curves and radiuses the handle (in my opinion) suits many more varied grip positions than a tighter more constrictive grip would. All this without sacrificing comfort or grip security.
Well thats my 2 cents, (I hope it makes sense).

Thanks for looking and listening!
Tim

Alrighty, I got it. Seeing the knife held with the middle finger in this cutout while the thumb and forefinger controlling the blade by holding the handle flat around the pivot, this cutout makes good sense. When I see something like this in a design, I always think there has to be a reason for it. This time I wasn't able to figure it out without those pictures. Thanks for the explanation! I think I'll probably modify mine a bit so that I can use a saber-grip without going quite so far down the handle. I understand the utility of the grip above for work like scraping along the inner hide (I'm no hunter but I have done plenty of dissections and immediately think of using a scalpel this way), but my knife probably will be doing much like this.

-Drew

Back