Well, this is embarrassing...

In another thread, I got some excellent advice for a knife for my son. After changing my mind, oh, a hundred times, I decided to try the A.G. Russell Folder "2005" (date made or model # or both??)

Beautiful! Opened it up. Great balance, super strong, and, uh, how do you close it? Tried nine ways. No help on the Russell website. Feeling really stupid, about now, considering I own a dozen blades. Thanks! ps. need pics?

My 20 seconds google search didn't return any sure pics of a "2005" A. G. Russel folder...If it's a framelock (model Acies2?), just push the lock bar out of the way for the blade to close. That's my best guess :confused:

15 seconds and I found this in the for sale section on the forum:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...nife-Collector-Club-(KCC)-knives-a-few-others
A. G. Russell Frame-Lock Spear Point (2005) (USA) – 3” 154-CM flat-ground blade – polished stone-washed finish on blade – 3 ¾” closed length – double thumb-stud opening - titanium framelock handle (handle is patterned after the A. G. Russell Folding Sting knife) - pocket clip on pivot end - tip-down carry - model AGFRM-1T

Post #7 has a picture

Is this the knife? If it's a frame lock you just push the lockbar out of the way. If it's a liner lock you do the same thing. Lockbacks you press the lock. Stud locks you press the stud.

My 20 seconds google search didn't return any sure pics of a "2005" A. G. Russel folder...If it's a framelock (model Acies2?), just push the lock bar out of the way for the blade to close. That's my best guess :confused:

I'm thinking it might be one of the AGR One-Hand locks. If that's the case, I believe that the lockbar pushes straight down away from the knife to unlock it. Just my guess, though... I've never handled one, just seen pix.

That's it!!

15 seconds and i found this in the for sale section on the forum:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...nife-collector-club-(kcc)-knives-a-few-others
a. G. Russell frame-lock spear point (2005) (usa) – 3” 154-cm flat-ground blade – polished stone-washed finish on blade – 3 ¾” closed length – double thumb-stud opening - titanium framelock handle (handle is patterned after the a. G. Russell folding sting knife) - pocket clip on pivot end - tip-down carry - model agfrm-1t

post #7 has a picture

is this the knife? If it's a frame lock you just push the lockbar out of the way. If it's a liner lock you do the same thing. Lockbacks you press the lock. Stud locks you press the stud.

Hi aznav -

Here is the knife - I bought several of these to give as gifts for Christmas this year -

DSC_9189.JPG

I liked them so much I kept one for me and ordered a couple more.

In the picture attached below - the arrow points to the area you will push outward to release the lock - this is a standard frame lock blade.

1212framelock_small[1].jpg

best regards -

mqqn

Ok, sorry about the poor pics. Hair on fire. Hope this helps:

Blade2.jpeg
[/IMG]

Blade1.jpeg

Beautiful knife! You really can't go wrong with an AG Russell. I hope your son enjoys it. :thumbup:

Blade2.jpeg
[/IMG]

is it just me or does it look like the framelock isnt engaged? dunno, have you got it closed yet?
neat looking knife my son would probably dig that as he likes the modern looking stuff
gene

Blade2.jpeg
[/IMG]

is it just me or does it look like the framelock isnt engaged? dunno, have you got it closed yet?
neat looking knife my son would probably dig that as he likes the modern looking stuff
gene

Not closed yet. There was a pronounced "click" when it locked in and has not moved since.

It is barely locking up. In your photos you can see the part of the frame just under the clip that is barely deflecting over towards the center of the knife. Push that part out slightly so it aligns with the rest of the side of the knife and it will not be blocking the back part of the blade anymore and the blade will close. With a little practice you can do this with your thumb while holding the knife, and then close the blade with your fingers. Just be careful to get your thumb out of the way in time.

if its not engaging correctly then once you get it closed it might warrant a trip back to AG, my sons buck nobleman looks like a similar lock and it engages way more than that, dunno if id trust it
good luck
gene

Go to about 2:40 in this vid. He shows how to disengage the lock and notes that the lockbar is very "tight," which might explain why yours is locking up so early.
[video=youtube;-gFTxYmtNlA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gFTxYmtNlA&feature=related[/video]

if its not engaging correctly then once you get it closed it might warrant a trip back to AG, my sons buck nobleman looks like a similar lock and it engages way more than that, dunno if id trust it
good luck
gene

Hi Gene -

I have several of these - and they all have very early lockup - the one I have took a little while to break in. Mine is now locking up with a little more travel, but I never felt like it would fail.

I did take all of them apart and put a small dab of locktite blue on the pivot on these, as with constant opening and closing the pivot was loosening up, so before I send them out as gifts, I adjust them and then lock the pivot.

Great little knife.

best

mqqn

When I was in the store a couple of months back one of the employees told me that A.G. wasn't completely happy with how these turned out. Might have to do with the stiff lock.

As with anything a defect knife could always slip through the cracks of inspection. Did you buy it direct from the A.G. Russell store? If you still can't get it closed give them a call and just send it in. They'll replace it no problem or even give you your money back. A.G. has the best no hassle garantee in the buisiness but it's only valid for his direct customers (the ones who actually bought something from him).

Even if they won't replace the knife they'd probably love to have a look at it just to make sure that a similar misstake doesn't happen again.

Apologies to all. Big, cheese, boss in town starting Monday and just left. The world stopped, as I knew it. Anyway, muy thanks for all the input. The Youtube video unlocked the mystery (I know, bad pun). Never saw one close like that before. I can finally clean it up and let Santa ship it. Thanks again!!!

Back