(We're Back - Photos added) Off to the Green Knob, Middle Prong Wilderness Area Today

k_estela

Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum
Happy trails buddy. Take some pictures and come back with plenty of good stories. Looking forward to hearing from you.

K-Dog

BANNED
Been there done that. I think! That was 15, 20 years ago. Take many pics, put your trips and pics in a book with maps. When you get older and have mouths to feed, you'll wish you did. Than you take them when they get big enough. Let see some pics!!!!!! Please!!

I'm an arm chair adventurer, at least until the littles get a little bigger.

I spent most of my time hiking in NC, Pisgah Nat. forest from Grandfather Mtn. to the Smokeys.

Brian Jones

We're back. I'm gonna get something to eat that is NOT trail mix! Hiked with the WASP pack again and really love it.

In our efforts to push ourselves on the hike, at about 5800 ft elevation, we missed a hornets nest in the ground, and they came out and attacked us. They were extremely aggressive. :eek: Tim got two on the back of the neck and I got the outer edge of my ear pierced by one of those mean suckers. I wonder what two grown men must've looked like, hightailing it back down the trail for our very lives....:D

More soon and some pictures following.

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
Yellowjackets. Been there done that. Last year got into a nest in the middle of the Art Loeb trail. A few feet left or right makes all the difference, but if you don't see 'em in time they're a nightmare. (Over the years here I've gotten stung on the ear, back of knee etc. My wife had one inside her boot. My dog's not a big fan either.)

kgd

Wow - those things sound really aggressive! Looking forward to your pics Brian.

Brian Jones

Tim on a small bridge over a brook:
PICT0004-6.jpg

Tim leading the way on the trail:
PICT0003-7.jpg

And leaving his moderator in the dust:
PICT0002-10.jpg

Tim says WTF? after the bees attacked:D :
PICT0005-9.jpg

We're back. I'm gonna get something to eat that is NOT trail mix! Hiked with the WASP pack again and really love it.

In our efforts to push ourselves on the hike, at about 5800 ft elevation, we missed a hornets nest in the ground, and they came out and attacked us. They were extremely aggressive. :eek: Tim got two on the back of the neck and I got the outer edge of my ear pierced by one of those mean suckers. I wonder what two grown men must've looked like, hightailing it back down the trail for our very lives....:D

More soon and some pictures following.

I'll tell you what it looked like, it looked like a guy that goes about 165 (me) trying to run over a guy that would have made an excellent college linebacker! Those little suckers got me 3 times before I could move. :eek:

I was trying to figure out why Brian was taking a picture of your rear-end, but then I noticed the pack...is that a Kifaru Scout? Looks like mine:thumbup: Looks like you guys had a blast!

ROCK6

I was trying to figure out why Brian was taking a picture of your rear-end, but then I noticed the pack...is that a Kifaru Scout? Looks like mine:thumbup: Looks like you guys had a blast!

ROCK6

Yes sir, best daypack I ever had. Use it for light and fast overnighters as well with a couple of the pods or whatever they call them.

Yeah, about the rear-end thing, you'll just have to ask Brian about that. :D ;) Nothing like seeing yourself in pics on the internet like that! Told Brian he has to post some of himself, or I will do it. I'm sure he'll pick the cool ones!

Yes sir, best daypack I ever had. Use it for light and fast overnighters as well with a couple of the pods or whatever they call them.

Yeah, about the rear-end thing, you'll just have to ask Brian about that. :D ;) Nothing like seeing yourself in pics on the internet like that! Told Brian he has to post some of himself, or I will do it. I'm sure he'll pick the cool ones!

I have two Scouts; one I use exclusively for hunting...you're right they're great packs!

I'd like to get some pictures of Brian running like a school girl swatting at bees and flailing arms as he screams with a high pitch squeal as he flees down the trail:D

ROCK6

There was some wailing from his general vicinity... :D

But it was more like Fuuuuuuuu**

Brian Jones

There were enough blackberries for us to eat to our hearts content:
IMG_1977.jpg

Brian wishes he didn't carry such a heavy load today:
IMG_1978.jpg

Tiny Bark River PSK chops down huge forest timber :D :
IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

At the sign telling us we are in the right place:
IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

By a fallen tree that could be a nice shelter:
IMG_1988.jpg

Through the thickets:
IMG_1986.jpg

A butterfly alights on a camelbak bottle:
IMG_1991.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Jones

I had a blast. It was the first time we met in person besides chatting on Bladeforums and on the phone, and I felt like I knew Tim my whole life. We are planning to go back up there and in further for an overnight stay. It's gorgeous country with a wide variety of terrain and plant/wildlife.

The mountains down here are majestic and surprisingly huge.