Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
My personal favorite is Josey Wales, but we cannot forget the original Magnificent Seven, I have not seen the new one with Denzel Washington.

It was a typical remake. They tried to add a little comedy and a lot more action to it. Worth seeing once.

What stuck out was the absolute lack of recoil from any firearm in the movie and the fact that every bad guy that gets shot once drops dead instantly and every good guy can get shot multiple times and still fight.

Another favorite of mine is:

Hondo, How The West Was Won. Lots of his books made great movies.
I always wanted them to make The Sackett Brand into a movie.

Loved that one. The quick and the dead with Sam Elliott was another good one.

Not to be confused with The Quick and the Dead from 1995 with Sharron Stone and Gene Hackman. I didn't think Hackman could do any wrong. He's one of my favorite actors. Whatever he was drinking when he agreed to that stink fest should be illegal.

Gene Hackman has always been my favorite actor. One of the few that can really act.
He was especially good in Young Frankenstein.

He was awesome in Crimson Tide.

Like westerns, I have a thing for submarine movies. U-571, K-19 Widowmaker, Red October, Up Periscope, Down Periscope, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, The Enemy Below...

He was awesome in Crimson Tide.

Like westerns, I have a thing for submarine movies. U-571, K-19 Widowmaker, Red October, Up Periscope, Down Periscope, Das Boot, Run Silent Run Deep, The Enemy Below...
Read the book Blind Man's Bluff. Seriously.

My local library has it on the shelf. Unfortunately no digital download/Kindle version. I'll pick it up tomorrow. :thumbsup: Thanks.
You're welcome. It's rather fascinating.

so many posts i could quote here. too much effort. :D

another newer once (since 78 - that was funny Mack) that i liked and don't think anyone has mentioned was the remade version of 3:10 to Yuma.

my favorite was Once Upon a Time in the West, hence the initial pic i posted. that opening scene on the train platform is top-notch. classic Sergio Leone cinematography....love it. my runner up is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. no surprises there i'm sure. and, the original Magnificent 7 was a favorite of mine growing up.

Rupe, i agree on the Hateful 8. the first time i watch it, i was like, "Ok, i get it." as you said, over-the-top racist stuff, and i will also add over-the-top violence towards women, i thought. and, as you mentioned....the blood/gore. but, that is tarantino i guess...pushing the envelope. but, i have seen it a couple times since, and i actually think it's pretty good. also, as you mentioned (and also classic tarantino) the dialog is outstanding (and the characters).

Loved the Sackett books. have read just about all of L'Amour's books (if not all).

Anyone seen the Netflix Godless series? i loved it. jeff daniels plays one heckuva bad guy. wow.

so many posts i could quote here. too much effort. :D

another newer once (since 78 - that was funny Mack) that i liked and don't think anyone has mentioned was the remade version of 3:10 to Yuma.

my favorite was Once Upon a Time in the West, hence the initial pic i posted. that opening scene on the train platform is top-notch. classic Sergio Leone cinematography....love it. my runner up is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. no surprises there i'm sure. and, the original Magnificent 7 was a favorite of mine growing up.

Rupe, i agree on the Hateful 8. the first time i watch it, i was like, "Ok, i get it." as you said, over-the-top racist stuff, and i will also add over-the-top violence towards women, i thought. and, as you mentioned....the blood/gore. but, that is tarantino i guess...pushing the envelope. but, i have seen it a couple times since, and i actually think it's pretty good. also, as you mentioned (and also classic tarantino) the dialog is outstanding (and the characters).

Loved the Sackett books. have read just about all of L'Amour's books (if not all).

Anyone seen the Netflix Godless series? i loved it. jeff daniels plays one heckuva bad guy. wow.

I just watched the trailer for Godless and showed the wife. We agree. It looks pretty good. We might give it a shot tonight. Thanks.

I recently re-watched Deadwood. Loved that series. Looks like they've seen the error of their ways and are making a Deadwood movie. Hopefully something that will bring some closure. The end of the TV series was as bad as it gets. Just a hard stop with Hearst leaving town and Bullock losing his badge.

What happened to Woo?!?! And Calamity Jane?! I need closure! :D

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/11/deadwood-movie/

I just watched the trailer for Godless and showed the wife. We agree. It looks pretty good. We might give it a shot tonight. Thanks.

I recently re-watched Deadwood. Loved that series. Looks like they've seen the error of their ways and are making a Deadwood movie. Hopefully something that will bring some closure. The end of the TV series was as bad as it gets. Just a hard stop with Hearst leaving town and Bullock losing his badge.

What happened to Woo?!?! And Calamity Jane?! I need closure! :D

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/11/deadwood-movie/

yup, i liked deadwood too. i had heard that they were doing something new with it. i'll watch! i watched hell on wheels a bit too, but it got a little too soap-opera-y for me.

looking forward to what you think about Godless. enjoy.

I watched the first episode of Godless last night. Like a lot of shows, the first episode can get a bit confusing. They try to introduce you to a slew of characters and get you wrapped up in their story so you come back for episode two. Still, pretty good.

Starting episode two now :cool:.

I watched the first episode of Godless last night. Like a lot of shows, the first episode can get a bit confusing. They try to introduce you to a slew of characters and get you wrapped up in their story so you come back for episode two. Still, pretty good.

Starting episode two now :cool:.
ha. it's funny you say that. i was going to warn you. keep with it....

ha. it's funny you say that. i was going to warn you. keep with it....

Watched two and three. I have my suspicions but I'm not sure who will end up the hero in this one. Whitey the Deputy, the whore turned school teacher and Roy Goode are in the lead so far.

Kim Coates (Ed Logan in Godless) is the same guy that Kostner pops in the melon in Open Range (see post 16). He does play a good bad guy. Seems to like the bowler hat though. :p

Watched two and three. I have my suspicions but I'm not sure who will end up the hero in this one. Whitey the Deputy, the whore turned school teacher and Roy Goode are in the lead so far.

Kim Coates (Ed Logan in Godless) is the same guy that Kostner pops in the melon in Open Range (see post 16). He does play a good bad guy. Seems to like the bowler hat though. :p

ha. tig from sons of anarchy! i had to go back and watch the open range clip. forgot he was even in it. i didn’t know that was his real name (kim coates).

you mention the characters. i think that’s what makes the show a “good western” ... the character development. well, i thought so anyway. thanks for the report! :)

Last edited:
Back