Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
I know I didn't have to pay for it (virtually rent it) so you should be covered with the above.
Turns out "The Kid" is on Amazon Prime. Also turns out that I had already put it in my watchlist at some point. :thumbsup: Starting it now. :cool:

We watched it this past weekend. It was as you said. Solid. :thumbsup:

Whoever laid out the scene where the young kid opens his eyes in the shack and sees Billy standing there nailed the imagery with the visual reference to this photo.

220px-Billy_the_Kid_corrected.jpg

I had to do a double take myself. :cool::D
Hat was tilted the other way, but yeah, they nailed that! I wasn't expecting it so early into the movie! :cool:

Holy crapola, it's Jayne! (Adam Baldwin as Bob Olinger)

Speaking of, I'm going to toss out a bit of a curveball here, and I bet a couple of you have seen it.

It's not totally a western, but a futuristic space western. o_O Bear with me. Yes, sci-fi meets western, but it's pretty well done IMO. If this sounds like something you might like to watch, try "Firefly". Even if you don't think you'll like it, try the first episode at least, you might be surprised. Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin (homina homina), Jewel Staite (yum), among others. Sadly, it only went one season (2002), but there was a follow-on movie in '05 called "Serenity".

A favorite of mine.

ETA - If ya needed more convincin': "The inspiration for Jayne Cobb... I had just been trying to do Warren Oates from The Wild Bunch (1969) meets Eli Wallach from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." Guys like that. Those are guys I was trying to impersonate, mixed in with some Strother Martin. Those are great Western guys. I just always approached it as a Western, with that sensibility. You can shoot someone in the back and rationalize it, because you're out on the frontier, and survival of the fittest. No honor among thieves. It was up to Joss [Whedon] to infuse him with a little bit of a heart of gold and honor for [Nathan Fillion's character] Mal. The rest of them, he could take or leave them. And later I saw _Alien (1979)_ again, and it turns out I was just doing Yaphet Kotto."

Last edited:
Firefly was a pretty good show, I watched it because I wanted to see why it had such a cult following.

I need to look for the Kid on Amazon Prime.

I think the cult following was because it was well-done and it got canceled after just the one (short) season. That cult following was the only reason for the movie later on.

I host a Halloween Movie Night every year and this was one of the picks a few years back. I enjoyed the hell out of it - it felt like a Western "13th Warrior" so definitely on the different side. I like old and grizzled Kurt Russell - he was my favorite part of Hateful 8 (the first half anyway...) and he was awesome in Deathproof (not a western).
Nice. Yeah, different. One thing that left an impression from Bone Tomahawk was that death scene in the cave. Holy shit-- some wow factor there!

And yeah, The Kid is on Prime.
I'm going to check out The Proposition next. Ray Winstone is one of my favorites :thumbsup:

Haven't seen Bone Tomahawk, that's another one on my list.

The Propisition is a great movie, even better if if you like Ray Winstone. There's an older british gangster movie with him and Ben Kingsley called 'Sexy Beast' that's another really good watch. It's pretty much a Western movie plot, putting a reluctant team together for a job.

Holy crapola, it's Jayne! (Adam Baldwin as Bob Olinger)

Speaking of, I'm going to toss out a bit of a curveball here, and I bet a couple of you have seen it.

It's not totally a western, but a futuristic space western. o_O Bear with me. Yes, sci-fi meets western, but it's pretty well done IMO. If this sounds like something you might like to watch, try "Firefly". Even if you don't think you'll like it, try the first episode at least, you might be surprised. Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin (homina homina), Jewel Staite (yum), among others. Sadly, it only went one season (2002), but there was a follow-on movie in '05 called "Serenity".

A favorite of mine.

ETA - If ya needed more convincin': "The inspiration for Jayne Cobb... I had just been trying to do Warren Oates from The Wild Bunch (1969) meets Eli Wallach from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." Guys like that. Those are guys I was trying to impersonate, mixed in with some Strother Martin. Those are great Western guys. I just always approached it as a Western, with that sensibility. You can shoot someone in the back and rationalize it, because you're out on the frontier, and survival of the fittest. No honor among thieves. It was up to Joss [Whedon] to infuse him with a little bit of a heart of gold and honor for [Nathan Fillion's character] Mal. The rest of them, he could take or leave them. And later I saw _Alien (1979)_ again, and it turns out I was just doing Yaphet Kotto."
Ron Glass was great as “Book”.

Not a western but...
..."soldier, statesman, scientist"
"Friend of the working girls"

Not a real western but based on a bounty hunter scenario is the Mandalorian, sort of Western meets Star Wars.

Back