Whacha Been Up To......

Finally got around to a Honey Doo. Wrapped my wife's broken Expedition Fob.

Before
2it62cj.jpg

After
rm1co8.jpg

szx3de.jpg

eq59ua.jpg

That’s really cool !!!!! I like it !!

View attachment 1114182 View attachment 1114183
View attachment 1114185 View attachment 1114191 View attachment 1114192
Finishing this one up, still need to add keeper strap. I think I’m going with a darker leather for strap.

That's darn nice looking~! I've taken to doing stacked sheaths lately, myself. I particularly like when the belt loop is part of the stack, so that there's no stitching inside that could rub the knife. I do struggle with keeping the "stacks" square and level at the top though--and getting it burnished nice in that area is another problem all unto itself.

Nice job. I recently did a cover for our garage door opener, which no longer had a hanger. It didn't turn out near as nice your key fob wrap.

Currently I’m only doing knife sheaths, occasional odd project. But those are always small stuff. I’m still hand stitching, I’m considering a cobra machine in a year ish time. Hopefully the cobra will allow me to branch out to other stuff. Also hopefully it will speed things up :) just don’t know how thick they’ll sew 3/4 1” ?

The specs on the Cobra 4 say it will sew up to 7/8". I can tell ya its a great machine. The motor is adjustable as far as speed goes so you can slow it down or like right now mine is set on hyperspace. Last thing I was sewing was a set of 8 ft reins for myself. So that is a lot of sewing. 8 ft down, 8 ft back and two reins so times two. Using the roller guide its really easy to maintain control even when you're jumping to warp drive. Really only took a couple of minutes to do each rein. One thing I have learned sewing reins is that a full bobbin will get ya into the last 18 inches of the second rein. I normally run the motor on 12 or 15 for everday stuff. For the reins its set at 41. Another nice feature is that to some extent ya have some speed control with the pedal, kinda like your car. A little bit of pedal and you're going slow, all the pedal and you're going as fast as the motor is set.

Before
2it62cj.jpg

After
rm1co8.jpg

szx3de.jpg

eq59ua.jpg

Ok that is cool!
Dave, I like that notebook cover. Nothing new to members on this forum, but years ago I noted I was going thru those plastic checkbook holders at about one per year. I had bought a small duffle type bag from a woman in Maine, Adler Stream Canvas, that I could pack in my regular bag, then use to bring home stuff I had acquired on the trip. I noticed she had leather checkbook covers, so I got one. Very simple, dark green pebbled leather, 7 1/4 by 6 1/4 inches with two brown strips sewn in side to make pockets, I think I paid $13 for it. I just noticed I had written inside "April 2009" so 10 years old and still going strong. I also have a smaller notebook leather carrier, 7 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches that holds one of those small ringed note pads, that I have had since I left Fort Devens, MA in July 1985, probably bought in 1984. I think it must have been a kit, but the man who made it SGM Chuck Henderson, engraved "10th SFGA" on the back and a "Beret & Dagger" and my initials on the front. I carry it daily to write down notes or I know I will forget them, and it is also still going strong, and I think I only once put some conditioner on it. Same for a good leather belt that has been worn daily since some time in 2009, or at least I have a photo of me wearing it in Finland in 2009. Once a year I put some conditioner on it, as I was told by the man who made the belt. Buy quality items, in this case leather and take reasonable care of it and it will last a LONG time. John

Thanks John. Yeah I agree quality lasts for sure. Don't know if I ever told ya but years ago (kinda at the start of this sandbox deal) I had a former SF officer contact me and asked me to build 5 or 6 legal size notebook covers with the SF emblem tooled on the front, the crossed arrows, dagger and De Opresso Liber emblem. He kept one and gave the others to guys that will still serving. Had the coolest pic of a guy with his face all blacked/blurred out shaking hands with an Iraqi general. Our guy was holding his notebook cover I had made. Unfortunately that pic was on a computer that died many years ago so I don't have it any more. Thanks again for your service

The specs on the Cobra 4 say it will sew up to 7/8". I can tell ya its a great machine. The motor is adjustable as far as speed goes so you can slow it down or like right now mine is set on hyperspace. Last thing I was sewing was a set of 8 ft reins for myself. So that is a lot of sewing. 8 ft down, 8 ft back and two reins so times two. Using the roller guide its really easy to maintain control even when you're jumping to warp drive. Really only took a couple of minutes to do each rein. One thing I have learned sewing reins is that a full bobbin will get ya into the last 18 inches of the second rein. I normally run the motor on 12 or 15 for everday stuff. For the reins its set at 41. Another nice feature is that to some extent ya have some speed control with the pedal, kinda like your car. A little bit of pedal and you're going slow, all the pedal and you're going as fast as the motor is set.

Ok that is cool!

Thanks John. Yeah I agree quality lasts for sure. Don't know if I ever told ya but years ago (kinda at the start of this sandbox deal) I had a former SF officer contact me and asked me to build 5 or 6 legal size notebook covers with the SF emblem tooled on the front, the crossed arrows, dagger and De Opresso Liber emblem. He kept one and gave the others to guys that will still serving. Had the coolest pic of a guy with his face all blacked/blurred out shaking hands with an Iraqi general. Our guy was holding his notebook cover I had made. Unfortunately that pic was on a computer that died many years ago so I don't have it any more. Thanks again for your service

Thank you. A bit rough, but at least it's a baby step up from duct tape.

Roughout notebook cover for our ranching partner's birthday, it has his brand on it:

6ag1xwH.jpg

OnRbla6.jpg

Couple of oak carved sheaths. I'll be starting in on a WIP on these two guys and how to I do oak carving probably tomorrow.

AJM2rKr.jpg

yOyLrjL.jpg

I really like that and the other ya did too. You are right does kinda look like a robot head.

Branded last weekend. Just a few pics of stuff being used that you've probably already seen new here in these pages.

Belt and chaps:

7DgvVM1.jpg

My own personal EDC:

wSSRIZQ.jpg

Beltless sheath and Gordo knife, water buffalo armitas style chaps:

wXyUTYz.jpg

Cara telling Nichole how she wants a holster for the syringes:

JrITd7N.jpg

All you movie buffs: "one for the each of ya".

qBuuwLY.jpg

Reins, headstall and curbstrap:

ydopCEk.jpg

Carved belt, horizontal sheath and Coyote knife and custom chinks:

D2wmfnt.jpg

iJBTosw.jpg

Doctoring some ringworm:

JeObGZl.jpg

Sheath and water buffalo belt:

14W0BBe.jpg

Reins, spurstraps, Buckaroo knife pouch, basket stamped tapered belt and roughout holster:

yu56zLz.jpg

ihd37Q3.jpg

Some old guy at the end of the day waiting for the neighbor to get his trailer backed up to the chute so we can load his strays. Reins, spurstraps belt and holster.

k0RPEq0.jpg

Leggings and belt:

IsR5TNB.jpg

Branding the new yearling bull. Leggings and spurstraps:

RDFZejw.jpg

mBO41j9.jpg

Ethan is an Air Force officer and he'll be transferring back east soon. Last time he'll be able to ride with us. He wanted some pics in the flowers. Me and George photobombing him:

Hpt8Cmh.jpg

Brother Bill bout got the steaks done:

WfvFdly.jpg

And the lobster too:

yXzWQ8I.jpg

p3ZDGd6.jpg

"One for each of ya" - tombstone! (What'd i win? Lol)
Some nice looking leather craft out there!

Wow you are getting that down! Are ya sanding the edges after sewing?

Wow you are getting that down! Are ya sanding the edges after sewing?

Thank you. Yes, I've got a couple of belt Sanders with different grits. After sewing, I cut it closer to where I may want it, then take it in the rest of the way with the belts. But I'm always concerned with making a little bump right at the end, and grinding it in to a thread. I've done that in the past, so I probably leave a little too much edge.

I've also found it a bit difficult to get these edges as even after burnishing because the leather I've been using is so thin. This stuff was marked as a 1-2 oz belly. I think I just use my regular heavy hand with the dowel and end up leaving it a little bumpy. Ah well, a hobby is really just a very slow education, right? :D

This key/fob/remote was a little different because there were so many features that needed to be exposed, so I actually just glued/sewed it right in. Where previous fobs were designed to allow removal. The front is ignition key, and the back stores a removable emergency door key. With my usual process for making something like a sheath, I'd usually glue and sand it down to final dimensions before even drilling the holes. That way I'd have a straight edge to run my compass or groover for a straighter line. But these I left a big jagged edge glued up, and just used an awl to punch the holes. This left me with a bit crazier stitching pattern, especially on the back side.

Back