Whacha Been Up To......

Hi guys. I figured I would get yalls opinion about this. I am planning on putting a US Navy embroidered patch on my sons CPK DEK1 OWB sheath. I think it would look pretty cool. I thought about gluing it to the leather first, and then sewing it at the top of the blue with blue thread. Maybe I can hide the thread so it's not too obvious. Then I can put some tape around the outside of the patch and apply the Neatsfoot oil to the rest of the leather around it. What do yall think?

View attachment 1693241

I did this for a family's present to their son in the First Calvary a number of years ago. I did not have a patch so I made my own in leather and then carefully cut it out and used it for a template to cut an inlay hole in the front of the sheath. I then glued the logo to a thin piece of leather, lined it up from the back and glued to the front piece. It came out pretty well and might work for you with your patch.
Randy
Note: I did not carve it into the front piece because I was concerned that I could not get it correct right away and would waste more leather. I can tell you first hand they are serious about their patch so it had to be really good. Fortunately, I got it first pass.

Last edited:

I did this for a family's present to their son in the First Calvary a number of years ago. I did not have a patch so I made my own in leather and then carefully cut it out and used it for a template to cut an inlay hole in the front of the sheath. I then glued the logo to a thin piece of leather, lined it up from the back and glued to the front piece. It came out pretty well and might work for you with your patch.
Randy
Note: I did not carve it into the front piece because I was concerned that I could not get it correct right away and would waste more leather. I can tell you first hand they are serious about their patch so it had to be really good. Fortunately, I got it first pass.

Nice work! I was planning on skiving the leather and setting the patch into the hole.

You can just make the piece you glue to a complete lining for the front. Pretty easy that way. That’s what I did. Then nothing to catch on.
Randy

You can just make the piece you glue to a complete lining for the front. Pretty easy that way. That’s what I did. Then nothing to catch on.
Randy

Do you mean attach the patch onto another piece of leather? I'm already using 10oz leather.

Finished up that tooled sheath I posted earlier. Mistakes were made but overall I'm happy with the result. Looking forward to the next one.
View attachment 1693860
That came out pretty darn nice. We were talking size of stamps earlier, I do try to match that to the project. So much so that I often won't do basket stamping on a smaller sheath cause I don't like using those small stamps. Nice job stitching looks great too!

Randy

Thats pretty darn cool and a good idea, as long as the design isn't too complicated. I carved a simplified version of the Marines Anchor and Globe on the top of a pair of chinks one time.

Got that batch of knives and sheaths done:

feLR9UL.jpg

tuqRxZ3.jpg

NfYwB6i.jpg

I always play a mind game with myself when we put a new batch of knives on the website. Which one will sell first? I picked this one out of this batch:

49psMgX.jpg

DVRqLSo.jpg

But I was wrong. It was this guy:

kIa2tex.jpg

abOPg7F.jpg

Crazy leather day yesterday. Made three boot sheaths, one tapered belt and four rifle scabbards, three of wheich were tooled with brands. Finish those guys off today and start another batch of knives.

Do you mean attach the patch onto another piece of leather? I'm already using 10oz leather.
Yes I do. It can be very thin, even 2 oz, and a little thicker on on most sheath designs will not matter. It is by far the easiest and neatest way to do something like this, IMHO. You could also just make it a little bigger than the patch so it does not show up on the edges. Skive the edges of the leather piece to a razor edge before gluing it in to minimize the chance the blade will hang up on it.
Randy

Yes I do. It can be very thin, even 2 oz, and a little thicker on on most sheath designs will not matter. It is by far the easiest and neatest way to do something like this, IMHO. You could also just make it a little bigger than the patch so it does not show up on the edges. Skive the edges of the leather piece to a razor edge before gluing it in to minimize the chance the blade will hang up on it.
Randy

Thanks, but I think that may be more work than is necessary. It won't be very difficult to skive the leather down a little to set the patch into. At least I hope not.

Randy
solid advice imo

just received this lil beauty from the big A Hole today, it was about $17! Similar tool from Tandy goes for twice that and doesn't come with the extra bevelling fittings. If I weren't such a cheap bastard, I'd throw my old stitching groover in the garbage. Anyway, looking forward to putting this thing to use! Gotta love new tools
kUTmerN.jpg

just received this lil beauty from the big A Hole today, it was about $17! Similar tool from Tandy goes for twice that and doesn't come with the extra bevelling fittings. If I weren't such a cheap bastard, I'd throw my old stitching groover in the garbage. Anyway, looking forward to putting this thing to use! Gotta love new tools
kUTmerN.jpg

Looks nice , I hope it works well for you 👍

I have one from Tandy and a Barry king, almost always use the Tandy one.

We've got the Horseshoe Tools brand one, the Barry King one and 4 or 5 of the Tandy ones. Almost always use the Tandy one too.

I think I’m going to buy a few more tandys. Set their spacing to what I use a lot, and glue them in place. Then I’ll keep one or two adjustable.
Now that I’m typing this , I think you already do this ??? Most likely why the idea has been rolling around in my head lol.

Back