Wharncliffe Blade: What are the benefits? likes/dislikes please

Evan V.

Gold Member
I am not crazy how this blade looks, but am curious what benefits there might be to this blade shape? I saw a Sebenza recently that had this blade, and it didn't look right to me.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Yeah, that Sebenza was horrible looking. The blade looked too big for the handle somehow. Concerning wharncliffe blades in general, there are many utility cutting situations, where a straight edge is preferable. For self defense, the good thing about it is that you get a blade with similar properties of a hawk bill, but with better thrusting abilities.

i dont like that theres no belly- where the blade sweeps up- which is where a majority of your cuts happen, because it allows for a longer cutting edge. a 3" wharncliffe will have 3" of cuttin edge, while a 3" drop point or spearpoint will have more because of the belly

A true Wharncliffe blade is completely straight. The Sebenza Insingo is a modified Wharncliffe. Straight blades cut extremely well. While a blade that has a curve to it may not cut exactly straight when you cut something from hilt to tip, with a Wharncliffe blade you will usually get a perfectly straight cut when using the same motion. Wharncliffe blades also make great slicers and I find I like that type of blade in a kitchen knife.

RE: The Wharncliffe Blade

1) Works like an x-acto knife when cutting on a flat surface. It makes more precise cuts when used this way.

2) Is better at getting into small holes while also being able to make clean flat cuts, which is good for whittling. A larger blade with belly would not be able to get its point into the same size "holes" (or spaces you are trying to carve/ whittle)

It is a nice thing to have in addition to a blade with belly.

Originally developed as a modification of the sheeps foot blade for wood carving. I does have other uses such as cutting paper or cardboard like a mat knife.

Also makes for a great seat belt cutter, where the tip curving down makes it safer to slid under a belt and cut the seatbelt, not the person. Same for cutting harnesses, cutting a pant leg, back pack straps etc where some one is still wearing them.

I like mine mostly for the nice precise tip control when doing detail work or cutting (just two days ago I needed to cut some carpet remnants into neat squares to put under the feet of the beds at the house.

I really like Wharncliffe blade profiles, actually. I think that it not only gives an interesting aspect to the knife, but also a few advantages that other profiles may not offer. The Sebenza you're referencing was more of a modified wharncliffe, too. Regardless, I like wharncliffe profiles because:

-not having a belly it feels as though the whole blade is a cutting edge (d'uh) than just the specific 'sweet spot' of a normal blade (I don't do nearly as much pierce-cutting with other profiles than with a wharncliffe)
-confidence, I know where and what will be cutting.
-precision
-ease of sharpening

I don't know, sometimes I feel as though when I'm sharpening my knives other knives will only be dull in one area, where as my wharnie is not more dull in one area than other sections.

Late

Wharncliffe's are great for any utility work, or construction work. Think of a standard razor blade knife. Razor blades are wharncliffes!

As pretty much everyone else said, a Wharncliffe would be great for anything you'd use a razor or box/utility knife for. Precision cutting/slicing can also be easier, though this depends on the size of the blade and your skill with a knife.

And yes, when it comes to sharpening your blade, it's harder to screw up the edge on a blade when it's completely flat and straight. Wharncliffes are a good shape to practice that sort of thing on.

It's also good for making cuts backed by surfaces that dull a blade (like glass/stone "cutting boards") because only the tip will be dulled while the rest of the edge will freely pass through the cutting medium without harm. It's then easy to put a point back on it by working the spine with a stone.

On the traditional side, whittlers love them....

BDMLSTTH.JPG

QNML46AB.JPG

GEML892309TQ.JPG

Mike Latham
CollectorKnives.Net

Empirical evidence seems to suggest that they are the best cutters for sub-4" self-defense knives. Doc Snubnose on the Spyderco.com forums has compiled an impressive body of data to back that up.

Definitely a specialized sort of concern -- but it's one reason you always have a certain segment of the knife-collecting population that eats up knives like that.

I like wharncliffes, especially in a small knife, and usually carry one. I like the look of them a lot, and the fine point backed up by a straight edge works well for piercing followed by slicing -- for example, removing the plastic wrap from the tray of hamburger I used when making dinner last night. Other pointy blade shapes work too, but wharncliffes just feel nicer to me.

I love the blade shape on the Chokwee, Benchmade Opportunist, and a few other styles like that. I don't own any (yet), but I have a friend who carries the Chokwee who loves the blade, and when I play with it, it's nice.

I also like a sheepsfoot. Str8 edge like the wharncliffe but a little more tip strength.

I should know this, but what's the difference between a Sheepsfoot and a Wharncliffe? Side by side picture would be great!

Thanks!

I love the blade shape on the Chokwee, Benchmade Opportunist, and a few other styles like that. I don't own any (yet), but I have a friend who carries the Chokwee who loves the blade, and when I play with it, it's nice.

I should know this, but what's the difference between a Sheepsfoot and a Wharncliffe? Side by side picture would be great!

Thanks!

A Wharncliffe has an acute point, while a sheepsfoot has a more obtuse one.

Wharncliffe:
10059.jpg

Sheepsfoot:
MOC89PYL.jpg

i dont like that theres no belly- where the blade sweeps up- which is where a majority of your cuts happen, because it allows for a longer cutting edge. a 3" wharncliffe will have 3" of cuttin edge, while a 3" drop point or spearpoint will have more because of the belly

It depends how you're making the cut. When the blade sweeps up, the material isn't facing as much pressure from the blade, unless you really twist your wrist down.

That's why I like wharncliffe/sheepsfoot blades. There's uniform pressure against the material while sweeping the material to be cut down the length of the blade. Even though a knife with a belly will have more length, from where it sweeps up to the tip, it's not getting the same force applied to it.

Of course all that depends on what you're cutting. You don't need much pressure to cut paper, for instance, though then you only need a small section of the blade, so the extra length from the belly doesn't matter.

I am not crazy how this blade looks, but am curious what benefits there might be to this blade shape? I saw a Sebenza recently that had this blade, and it didn't look right to me.
Any insight would be appreciated.

the sebenza insigno is a bit odd looking to some, but the cutting ability is simply the best i have encountered.

the shape makes slicing things from cardboard to food simple and clean.

ive carried mine nearly every day for 3 months. best slicer i own, and i own quite a few knives. the tip penetrates media well, and the lack of a pronounced belly makes it easy to keep cuts straight.

mine came with a bevel that is roughly 30 degrees inclusive.

Back