Wharncliffe Blade: What are the benefits? likes/dislikes please

I like wharncliffe blades when I do push cuts through a long piece of material. I feel like when I have a blade with a lot of belly the tendency is for the edge to slide along that belly. With a wharncliffe I get a lot less of that sliding affect. Then again all of that could be in my head and my excuse would be I just like them!

103_1861.jpg

I tend to use the point a lot for detail work in my day to day cutting chores, and the Wharncliffe's fine, delicate point lies unusually low along the blade's axis, so it tends to 'point,' finger-like, more naturally and predictably for me than something with more belly. When using something like a clip-point, I often feel like I need to either arch my wrist or turn the blade edge-up for better point control.

Some of my favorites:

Rick Menefee, Hiroaki Ohta and Mike Zscherny.

3Wharnies01.jpg

Case swayback and Case/Bose collaboration Norfolk.

Wharnies002.jpg

I have quite a few sub-3" Wharncliffes, mostly fixed blades. They are just the best blade shape, IMO, for all of those things I need to do. A couple of folders, Chad Los Banos' design for Boker - the Warcom, and Kershaw's Onion/Centofante #1615, both seem to cut "bigger" than they are. The Kershaw is so sharp it is almost like using a razor.

I like wharncliffe blades when I do push cuts through a long piece of material. I feel like when I have a blade with a lot of belly the tendency is for the edge to slide along that belly. With a wharncliffe I get a lot less of that sliding affect. Then again all of that could be in my head and my excuse would be I just like them!
I

It's not in your head. I find a good Wharnie to be better.suited for most cutting task then blades with a belly save meat processing.

Many old folders and fixed blades with Wharncliffe or sheepsfoot blades were used as "rope knives" and were named as such. They are less prone towards having material slide off them like a bellied blade, yet more useful for general cutting tasks than a hawk bill is. :)

I carry one wharnie always with me. Its excellent cutter, letter opener and general urban knife.

DSCF4145.jpg

This plus Victorinox Pioneer and I am ready for any urban challenge.

I carry one wharnie always with me. Its excellent cutter, letter opener and general urban knife.

DSCF4145.jpg

This plus Victorinox Pioneer and I am ready for any urban challenge.
That's gorgeous! More info on that blade please! But don't tell udtjim, or he'll call dibs on me! ;)

NAW, Not me. Neat knife though.:D I think Stomper has made a few of those friction folder warnies.

Last edited:
I guess I still need to give a Warncliffe a bit more time. The time I had a Warncliffe style blade I found it did not work for me.

I am much taller then many people so a lot of cutting surfaces are just above middle of my top leg. This causes me to have to bend forward in order to cut with a Warncliffes full edge. If I stand straight I find I only cut with the tip.

I find using a knife with belly enables me to cut with the upsweap part without having to bend forward.

I will have to give it another try in future but my preference is for a knife with belly since I need a knife for dressing game.

(feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

Wharncliff's are like Spyderco knives. You do not fall in love with the looks of it. You fall in love with it once you get to know it and then really when you use it. Wharncliff blades are easy to sharpen as already said. The point is very pointy. I like to use it to dig splinters out of my kids, because it usually one of the sharpest blades I have. I rake the edge along the skin surface, and the edge catches and lifts out the splinters. The kids will not even go to mom anymore for splinters.

You just need a longer Warnie, or grow longer arms, or shorten your legs.:D:D

Kinda like digging a hole for your ladder to wash your basement windows.:thumbup:

Michael Morris has some excellent friction folding Wharnies. Check out his web page.

He is working on a custom fixed Wharncliffe for me now. Great artist and maker and he is willing to work with folks to make a one of a kind. This will be the second one of those he has done for me. Instant heirloom.

Thanks for all the info. It was very helpfull. It shed light on a few wharncliffe's I have owned over the years, like my good-ole Cammilus Boy scout knife that I did plenty of Whittling with, and I guess you could consider my Kitchen Santuko a wharncliffe. :)

They're great for wood carving and whittling. I was using this one for whittling just last night.

122.jpg

(image from Ragweedforge)

Sodak information thy requested, information thy shall get: 2.2 inch blade made from carbon steel (Nicholson tempered industrial files according site). Tang is bottle opener, scales are dark burgundy micarta. Pins are nickel-silver and maker is Michael Morris, going under alias mykulmorris in these forums. Check Michael Morris Knives.com for more information.

Back