What’s the folding knife you feel comfortable using for everything and anything

I now own 2 SHF's and 2 bk15's that I would trust to do anything from smaller-mid blade chores to most blade chores...

Is it the best slicer - no
Is it a chopper - no
Can they be used for carving or chopping?
- slow and tediously, they sure can...

Can they do everything else knife-like in between rather well?

Absolutely!

While neither can do what a machete or carving specific smaller blade can do, these are near the perfect folder/fixed duo I can personally think of off hand based on actual personal experience.

ONE?!?
No can do.
I carry at least 3 er 4 multi-blade traditionals every day with different blades.
No one blade profile is ideal for all tasks.
Some tasks require a clip point, others a drop point or spear point. Yet others a sheepsfoot or lambsfoot, and so on.
Why limit myself to just one?

Last edited:
They seem too big / heavy for my tastes... But I think you just summed up their allure, very simply. :thumbsup:

the heft is what I like about them. They are a formidable striking weapon / tool. Not saying I use them as a hammer. But if you needed to you could. They can be used to tap those stubborn stuck barrel locks. Or even to tap a gun sight. If you need to break a window or smash through dry wall the pommel of a 110 is more than up to the task. As a striking weapon it is devastating. I don’t find them too heavy at all.

As others have said, the one on me tends to be the one I trust most. Unless I'm carrying something unusual because of special attire (odd gentleman's knife). At this time it's a ZT 0456 primary, and secondary, Civivi Elementum or Kershaw Copper Natrix. I've found that the 0456 works amazing for both delicate and heavier cutting.

SpHElHB.jpg

the heft is what I like about them. They are a formidable striking weapon / tool. Not saying I use them as a hammer. But if you needed to you could. They can be used to tap those stubborn stuck barrel locks. Or even to tap a gun sight. If you need to break a window or smash through dry wall the pommel of a 110 is more than up to the task. As a striking weapon it is devastating. I don’t find them too heavy at all.

...and now I know that eveled eveled doesn't wear sweatpants or elastic waistband shorts... :D:eek:

you said one folder so the one folder I own and could cope with would be a aluminium handle ti lite 4 I did not what that to be my favorite folder but iv tryed a lot of different folders now and that one works best for me I use it mainly for work doing mechanics and I do love it
so I can keep all my fixed blades and not need any folder really just use the fixed blades all the time I could live with that because I perfair fixed anyway
edit I could use a ti lite 4 for everything I need a folder to do mine has and its the only folder iv used for a long time now

Last edited:
Any one I have, I don't buy knives I don't want to use.
I used to buy knives I knew I would never use, but not any more.

As I said earlier, I use SAKs every single day for whatever comes up in my life. On occasion, I will grab something a bit larger for a task, but I have become spoiled with small knives and their overall utility. Been carrying a SAK and a fixed blade for the last three weeks.

Buck 110. Everything everyday for 30 plus years so far.
Real comfortable in hand with no hotspots and guaranteed forever.The obvious quality of an old school American made tool and when it gets old banged up and ugly like me,Buck will make it like new again for free.:):thumbsup:
fBpXvPT.jpg

my kershaw leek - thin & slicy, great steel, and easily replaceable at a low cost

if I really need to do something abusive, I wouldn't use a folder

The one in my pocket/on my belt.

When you get an expensive knife in, just take it outside and drop it on the sidewalk/street. Problem solved.

This always happens within the first week, except I do it unintentionally. And it seems the more pristine I want and try to keep something the more used it gets. I’m just a clumsy oaf.

in response to op, my zt 550 or 561 to get it all done.

I’m sure some of you have many, but if you had to choose one. One knife that feel confident using for every and any task, both for your sake and the sake of your knife. For me it has to be something well made and durable but not something too high end or expensive. I tend to baby my expensive knives out of fear of damaging them.
A folder? None. I use whatever folder I am carrying that day for general EDC tasks but I wouldn't want to use it for kitchen duties. I value good working kitchen cutlery far too much for that.

What about you OP? You didn't answer your own question.

Back