What’s the folding knife you feel comfortable using for everything and anything

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mandible, Nov 22, 2019.

1. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I now own 2 SHF's and 2 bk15's that I would trust to do anything from smaller-mid blade chores to most blade chores...

Is it the best slicer - no
    Is it a chopper - no
    Can they be used for carving or chopping?
    - slow and tediously, they sure can...

Can they do everything else knife-like in between rather well?

Absolutely!

While neither can do what a machete or carving specific smaller blade can do, these are near the perfect folder/fixed duo I can personally think of off hand based on actual personal experience.

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    There is always the 110 LW.
    I love the handle shape (of both the bronze 110 and the reinforced nylon LW) and the LW is extremely light for it's very capable . . . well . . . capability. :thumbsup:
    Obviously the top knife in this photo. I prefer the thicker handle over the Slim Pro.
    IMG_5069.jpg

Khanvoy44 and Lesknife like this.
  3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    ONE?!?
    No can do.
    I carry at least 3 er 4 multi-blade traditionals every day with different blades.
    No one blade profile is ideal for all tasks.
    Some tasks require a clip point, others a drop point or spear point. Yet others a sheepsfoot or lambsfoot, and so on.
    Why limit myself to just one?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    allenC, jackknife, sv4 and 1 other person like this.
  4. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    the heft is what I like about them. They are a formidable striking weapon / tool. Not saying I use them as a hammer. But if you needed to you could. They can be used to tap those stubborn stuck barrel locks. Or even to tap a gun sight. If you need to break a window or smash through dry wall the pommel of a 110 is more than up to the task. As a striking weapon it is devastating. I don’t find them too heavy at all.

skyhorse, jackknife and Lesknife like this.
  5. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    As others have said, the one on me tends to be the one I trust most. Unless I'm carrying something unusual because of special attire (odd gentleman's knife). At this time it's a ZT 0456 primary, and secondary, Civivi Elementum or Kershaw Copper Natrix. I've found that the 0456 works amazing for both delicate and heavier cutting.

[​IMG]

Khanvoy44 likes this.
  6. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    ...and now I know that @eveled doesn't wear sweatpants or elastic waistband shorts... :D:eek:

7. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    No, no I don’t.

Lesknife and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    There's nothing I do with a knife I would hesitate to use either of these two for.
    [​IMG]

allenC and Dcdavis like this.
  9. kaos 13

kaos 13

Apr 30, 2019
    you said one folder so the one folder I own and could cope with would be a aluminium handle ti lite 4 I did not what that to be my favorite folder but iv tryed a lot of different folders now and that one works best for me I use it mainly for work doing mechanics and I do love it
    so I can keep all my fixed blades and not need any folder really just use the fixed blades all the time I could live with that because I perfair fixed anyway
    edit I could use a ti lite 4 for everything I need a folder to do mine has and its the only folder iv used for a long time now

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  10. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Here are just some of them... Actually most of my knives can be used everyday, everywhere, most of the time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And :

[​IMG]

allenC and flatblackcapo like this.
  11. Venice

Venice Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2017
    This old guy has been used for things I won't mention. Well over 30 years old.
    [​IMG]

12. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    CRK Umnumzaan tanto. 10 years old and still going strong.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I used to buy knives I knew I would never use, but not any more.

As I said earlier, I use SAKs every single day for whatever comes up in my life. On occasion, I will grab something a bit larger for a task, but I have become spoiled with small knives and their overall utility. Been carrying a SAK and a fixed blade for the last three weeks.

jackknife likes this.
  14. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Real comfortable in hand with no hotspots and guaranteed forever.The obvious quality of an old school American made tool and when it gets old banged up and ugly like me,Buck will make it like new again for free.:):thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Lesknife and eveled like this.
  15. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Ray Mears, reed green Mercator K55K. 2019-11-23-11-05-40-1632556149.jpeg 2019-11-23-11-05-49-1846025957.jpeg 2019-11-23-11-05-57--574528532.jpeg

GlockMonster30 likes this.
  16. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    my kershaw leek - thin & slicy, great steel, and easily replaceable at a low cost

if I really need to do something abusive, I wouldn't use a folder

17. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    My Rat 1 DSCN0895.JPG

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  18. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014

This always happens within the first week, except I do it unintentionally. And it seems the more pristine I want and try to keep something the more used it gets. I’m just a clumsy oaf.

in response to op, my zt 550 or 561 to get it all done.

ScooterG likes this.
  19. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg This William Henry B-15 has been my main EDC for 20 years. 55gm, ZDP-189 blade, and flickable blade. image.jpeg

Pinemoon and Khanvoy44 like this.
  20. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    A folder? None. I use whatever folder I am carrying that day for general EDC tasks but I wouldn't want to use it for kitchen duties. I value good working kitchen cutlery far too much for that.

What about you OP? You didn't answer your own question.