1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What a cool knife. Spyderco Schempp Tuf

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Makael, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I had no idea this knife was as big as it is. First offshore Spyderco and this one is impressive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19-3ben, onionfan, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.
  2. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Couldnt flick it open so I took apart, cleaned and lubed it up. Looked like the product used was drying out some. Locks up Solid with no play. The number 79 was etched on the back of the scale. not sure what that means.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Nice! It's on my buy list if I can find one cheap enough. The asking price on the ones I've seen are just too high for my taste.

It's the deep full length blood groove that makes it cool. LOL! ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  4. Stolenives

Stolenives

Jul 12, 2017
    I've always wanted that knife but yeah totally agree, the prices on ones that aren't totally beat up are steep. I wish these would come back in production but that'll probably never happen. the other knife I've always wanted was actually a benchmade 760 LFTi.

OP does the Tuf slice ok or does that fuller limit the performance with certain materials? If you tell me it does maybe I can convince myself I dont want one! (unlikely to say the least)

Im very jealous, nice example you have there Makael.

5. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Im glad you like it, but ive always thought that thing was hideous looking! I do wish theyd make more blades in 3V

sharp_edge likes this.
  6. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Im going to tell you it doesnt but havent used it. Its a cool knife.:thumbsup:

Stolenives likes this.
  7. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    nice grab there, Mike. not a bad way to start with an off shore.:) those Taiwan made spydercos are very well made and high quality.

plus 3v.....who doesn't like that.

8. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    I dont typically buy the offshore stuff from anyone.This one caught my attention as its one I dont see very often. A guy here told me which model he was showing a picture of.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    jbmonkey likes this.
  9. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2013
    I’ve always wanted one of these.
    I don’t think I’ll ever pull the trigger on one though.
    Unless the price was just too low to pass up.
    I couldn’t see me actually carrying or using it very often.
    It’s an awesome knife but I think it’d fall into the toy category for me.

10. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Looks like it's not all the way open...

I'm not a fan.

11. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    It's an impressive piece. Attn to detail is great. Smooth. Nice knife.

12. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Some size comparisons with Military and PM2.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

MolokaiRider likes this.
  13. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’ve always loved the look of that knife! Awesome pics!
    Congrats on the score!

14. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Excellent knife.
    Still have mine.
    Wish I'd bought a second one when available. :(

15. BigStick19

BigStick19 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Not a fan of the blade shape/style but love the handle. Very nice tho. I LOVE my Spyders :)

Riz! likes this.
  16. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I'm glad the OP got something he likes and is happy with his purchase, but I consider that thing an eyesore heh.

17. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    I can't get enough of it. Maybe it's because it's different. Can't put my finger on it.

Another odd but cool auto.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    sgt1372 likes this.
  18. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014

I agree. The handle actually looks very comfortable, but that blade is just funny looking

19. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I sent mine to REK for a regrind.
    Unbelievable after that.

20. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    I would love to see that.