What are the benefits of using a chisel grind?

That appears to be saber ground on both sides of the blade, is it not?

Not quite, from the spine/swege there's a high flat grind of a few degrees on both sides. On the SRM logo side there's a sharpening bevel on the other side no sharpening bevel just flat to the edge, both the upper and lower tips are chisel ground with no bevels.
I can see what you mean about it having a Sabre grind and you are right, it's just that I call any blade with a sharpening bevel on one side only a chisel grind, my mistake.

EDIT*************
When I Google for images of a Besh wedge some images of this knife come up.
It's a besh wedge then so I can still say that I don't like Chisel grinds. :) although the tips are stupid sharp and they are chisel ground. :confused:

Last edited:
If you're looking in to getting/trying a chisel grind blade, please be sure to get the appropriate chisel grind for your dominant hand. The majority of production knives I've seen with a chisel grind have been for left handed people. If you have to think about which side the grind is supposed to be on; think of slicing food or working with wood. So if you're right handed slicing celery, you're holding the celery stalk in your left hand with your knife in your right hand cutting the celery from right to left. The chisel grind for a right handed person should be on the right side of the blade where the little slices of celery are coming off. This is why people say that the material pushes away from what you are cutting. the same thing with wood - If you're holding the knife in your right hand horizontally slicing away from you, the chisel ground will be on the upward portion of the blade pushing the material away. As far as pros and cons, I don't really have any.

This is what bothers me about them. I don't understand why Emerson puts the chisel edge on the wrong side. The only reason I can think of would be to use in your weak hand while welding a firearm in the right.

Not quite, from the spine/swege there's a high flat grind of a few degrees on both sides. On the SRM logo side there's a sharpening bevel on the other side no sharpening bevel just flat to the edge, both the upper and lower tips are chisel ground with no bevels.
I can see what you mean about it having a Sabre grind and you are right, it's just that I call any blade with a sharpening bevel on one side only a chisel grind, my mistake.

EDIT*************
When I Google for images of a Besh wedge some images of this knife come up.
It's a besh wedge then so I can still say that I don't like Chisel grinds. :) although the tips are stupid sharp and they are chisel ground. :confused:

I was unaware that Brent Beshara had a deal in place with SanRenMu allowing them to use his Besh Wedge. :eek:

I was unaware that Brent Beshara had a deal in place with SanRenMu allowing them to use his Besh Wedge.

Having looked at Besh Knives website the SanRenMu and Real Steel designs are not Besh wedges, they are different from the profile of a Besh wedge.
There's several SanRenMu and Real Steel knives with this blade shape blade.

Back