What Better Time Than Christmas For Helping -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I do not have to post this continually. Many of of us have already, I believe, made knives for our troops in battle. I speak not to those but they are also very welcome to join in. Listen guys, all us good knife makers can contribute one little big knife to kill the enemy with. My suggestion and hope is that all us that have not yet done so make a combat suitable knife for our fighters engaging the enemy overseas. What better gift than a real knife and real sheath. I am not joking. Let us knife makers make at least one real knife for our protectors of us to kill our enemy. Let's do it and sign up right here for all to see that we are the best of the best and we are junk yard dog mad that those bastards killed our innocents.

I don't want excuses for why not or I can'ts do it now stuff. I just want names of who is in. I'm in. That's a start. Don't tell me about they don't need them because of Government issue. I am talking real knives for a few special troops in special circumstances.

Put your name in here guys. I'm in.

RL

Already done it Rodger...as a matter of fact 3 interchangable poll hatchets to friends over there.

Unnecessry Don. Ain't no time to blow horns. Freinds? What's that? I want you to make a Hurrican knife for the cause. You're in, right?

For all those that are not properly equiped to do it I will be happy to do the heat treating if you wish. You pay shipping to me, I suck up all the rest. Don't just put it off on me if you can do it well yourself. I know who you are.

RL

Yeah...I'm in. How do we decide who gets them......You sure that's going to be OK. I'm afraid that mine might be considered a weapon of mass destruction! :eek: :barf: :footinmou

Could somebody post info on how to get the knives to them? News has said that a lot of the generic care packages aren't going to make it because its too hard to move that much mail. They want packages addressed specifically :grumpy:

I am interested in making more of a utility knife design. An actual user.

I have started a nice design that will fit an everyday carrier and not be too bulky. Its from 5/32" 0-1 with a blade of about 5" or so.

I'll wait and see what develops ...

Don! That is great. I know now we have one really good killer. Thanks Don and so sorry for being gruff toward you. Thanks pal. I knew you would be there no matter.

I have a legit contact in Afganistan. The knives will go to Army Special Forces. They can carry as they wish and I have been assured they will be available during engagment. As far as who of us should be the depot point? - I am thinking - how about John Andrews. he is with great appreciation and trust by all us and has a solid military background and is a mature man that we all look up to. I submit this only as a suggestion of my own and want input concerning the question. It is up for consideration but John is my personal vote.

RL

Brian, darn happy to have you in there. Make a O1 killer about 11 to 12 inches OAL. Brian, send her to me for HT if you like. Thanks Brian. Get her ground sometime afrter Christmas, okay. There's another good one.

RL

Matt, you going to worry about how its getting there or are you going to make one? We'll get her there. I promise.

I want Bruce Bump to grind one out; I want Nick Wheeler to grind one out. You two can do your own HT'ing thank you. Who ever gets those two will be lucky. While at it I want Jay to pound one out too. That's three lucky dogs.

RL

We need to work on the definition of gruff Rodger. I hadn't noticed. John sounds like a great choice if he's willing.
Now the big question. What about sheaths....I sure ain't a sheath maker.

May I also suggest making good utility knives. The people that got the hatchets DID NOT want fighters. No spike polls. They wanted digging, prying, cutting tools.

Don, think Special Forces. Paring knives I do not believe is the blade of choice. Damn good point about the sheaths Don. I was so intent on blades I plum forgot. We best put out a call for sheath makers. Let's go predominately leather with kydex very welcome. How's that? I'll put you in charge of asking Jay if Tess can do one. I'll hit Jamie up for one. That's two. We'll put a post out for the rest. The good sheath makers will be there for this.

Don't worry about big John. John will be there for this cause. Know him well enough to not even have to ask. He will be solid.

RL

Of course I'm in! I might have the knife done already. I just want to know what I do with it?
If you guys can organize something then just let me know how where and how soon to send it. I'll start it tommorrow afternoon!
Thats the only thing thats stopped me so far, no contacts and they've made it pretty clear that addressing it to "a soldier in iraq" gets it stuck in a warehouse :grumpy:

Matt, so far - its awful young yet - the main contact has to be me. What kind of knife and size do you have in mind? Think tactical size. Talk to me.

Matt, I am about to evaporate for couple days. Won't be back until after the Steeler game on Sunday. I'll be at moma Gooses and out of touch. To answer your question: start your blade at will. It can come to me when finished. If I need to send it elsewhere all will be fine.

RL

Rodger, why don't you email John and maybe a couple of others. No need to put anyone on the spot on line.
I think I'm going to do a Bowie. I intensely dislike tactical knives and as a result, am not very good at them.

I'm thinking at least 10" OAL in 3/16" stock with a long clip blade. Something you could poke a big hole with, but will still serve a utility role. Handle will be black linen micarta and sheath with be really heavy Kydex. I have O1 on hand, but if you guys think stainless would be preferred I'll order more 440C.
I guess something Kabar sized, but full tang and beefed up in a few places.

Any idea what kind of carry method is preferred? I can do SS clips, belt loops, etc. on the sheath. Maybe I'll just make both and they set it up how they want with chicago screws.

Edit: The grinder will be running tommorrow afternoon :cool:

Just a warning! This sort of "almost mandatory" donation can tear a forum apart.

Many makers(in fact, many people), myself included, do not like this sort of thing. I will not participate in KITH, or pass around deals either, but that's just me. I've seen the bad side of these things, more than once.

I participate in my own way, on my own schedule(if I'm even able, due to health reasons) to help my country, or the troops.
I hope you are prepared for the fall out if people are hurt in the rush to be patriotic.
Names will be taken, and those not participating will be "out", so to speak.
It happens in religions, race, you name it.

Just a thought!:(

I was thinking too of a more all around user. I think with a 5" blade and a 5" handle the knife will be around 10.5" overall. I'll send you a photo of a sketch later.......any opinions on the design is welcome. My HTing is doing fine my man ;). Just did a batch of 7 this week....all good!

Well Don its like I told the man, hey these knife makers are going to put there personality into the blades but as long as they comply with esential balance and size they should kill pretty good anyhow. Just make it a killer Don. Forget the artist bull crap. The object is not to make a well dressed dead American but a dead ass bastard enemy. I know you know that too. Bowie good. Real good. Think enemy as you grind her profile.

No on John Don. John is solid. Without even talking to him before hand, he's solid - just as we are or more. I'm not saying he can find time to make a knife but as the depot man he's as solid as the currency.

RL

Brian, go with a 6 inch blade, 5 inch handle. Just one more blade inch. Do that okay. It will be much prettier than you now imagine. Even balance will be better. Trust me Brian. Do not think deer hunting.

RL

Mark Williams

I'm in. Nothing would please me better than to know I could help save one of our boys life. And I do mean boys. Let's help get them Home in one living piece. Let's please not turn this into politics. I've got some kevlar handle material on the way from Chuck Bybee to experiment with . I think it would be a great test of using it. One sharpened prybar coming up. Glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.