What did you rehang today?

There's a whole thread about M(ystery) axes. The general consensus is Mann if I recall correctly. Despite the belief that M means Mexico they seem to be decent root choppers. I have a pair of hatchets and a 3.5lb Michigan that seem to be of decent quality.

There's a whole thread about M(ystery) axes. The general consensus is Mann if I recall correctly. Despite the belief that M means Mexico they seem to be decent root choppers. I have a pair of hatchets and a 3.5lb Michigan that seem to be of decent quality.

Of course! Thanks, this is a 3.5 Michigan.

Reactions: A17
I'm pretty sure that those axes were sold as COLLINS but perhaps made by Mann (or in Mexico?). I have an M 2 1/4 axe that as definitely sold as a COLLINS.

I've seen axes from other manufactures with Ms on them also, but I think the most common ones like the one in the picture you posted were COLLINS.

Reactions: A17
Here's the mystery $3 creepy no windows flea market boys axe. I forgot to weigh it. I had to drop it way down on the haft because of splitting from the previous hang, and spend some time closing it up because it wanted to hang real open.20190130_005224-980x2016.jpg Steel is hard, and I took in the heel to even the bit out. I chipped the handle setting the head, so I went to it with the rasps and deepened the grip to something approaching a scribe end. It's really gorgeous, best 3 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Here's the mystery $3 creepy no windows flea market boys axe. I forgot to weigh it. I had to drop it way down on the haft because of splitting from the previous hang, and spend some time closing it up because it wanted to hang real open.View attachment 1063477 Steel is hard, and I took in the heel to even the bit out. I chipped the handle setting the head, so I went to it with the rasps and deepened the grip to something approaching a scribe end. It's really gorgeous, best 3 bucks I've spent in a long time.
That is a sharp looking axe if you'll excuse the pun! Those old ones whose merit lies in their quality rather than the etch are some of my favorites. That is a sweet looking, capable axe man! Nice hang too!

Here's the mystery $3 creepy no windows flea market boys axe. I forgot to weigh it. I had to drop it way down on the haft because of splitting from the previous hang, and spend some time closing it up because it wanted to hang real open.View attachment 1063477 Steel is hard, and I took in the heel to even the bit out. I chipped the handle setting the head, so I went to it with the rasps and deepened the grip to something approaching a scribe end. It's really gorgeous, best 3 bucks I've spent in a long time.

What a beauty and a spectacular job on the handle swell and sharpening:thumbsup:

I would love to swing that axe.

That is a great job on that axe! I went straight to ogling the tool and missed the "creepy no windows" comment - I know the type of place you are talking about lol.
Sometimes the literal hole in the wall places have some interesting wares (more often than not interesting folk as well).

Woodslasher boys axe on a 28in. handle meant for full size eye.
PicsArt_01-02-09_45_20_jpg-794310.JPG

PicsArt_01-08-09_40_54_jpg-801115.JPG

Back