What do you cheat on your Busse with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what kind & size of retention pin are you rockin there, Vash? Thanks
If I remember correctly it's just a 3/16" cotter pin that I cut down and bent to add some spring tension.
20BrE7Q.jpg

9ClJVd8.jpg

When not in use I can put it into another eyelet
jtHwOkR.jpg

If I remember correctly it's just a 3/16" cotter pin that I cut down and bent to add some spring tension.
20BrE7Q.jpg

9ClJVd8.jpg

When not in use I can put it into another eyelet
jtHwOkR.jpg

I love it! Seems like you hit a perfect balance of security + accessibility.

I have a BURP rig set up for handle down carry clipped onto my left shoulder strap that I've been looking for this exact idea for...thanks for posting it up :)

I love seeing all the other nice stuff you guys collect.

Ever since coming back from Mexico the first time around in late 2014 (and then moving there and then back here again in may/June 2018 - life's a trip like that I guess), I found myself getting into the world of higher end production folders, some mid tech knives, and then the ridiculous world of custom folders. Coming back to city life and not having a redwood forest or subtropical Mexican jungles as a backyard/ playground partially pushed me back into chasing folders and away from the big fixed blades...kind of, mostly.

One of the things that I've come to really appreciate about the world of custom knives are the few genuine frienships and solid relationships that have come out of it. Both with fellow knife lovers/collectors and especially with the few makers I've happened to get real close to.

Here are some of the knives that I've really taken a liking to in recent years. The relationships I have with the guys behind at least some of these knives have become as important, if not even more so than the knives themselves...it ands a whole other dimension of enjoyment to these knives.

The Drifter by Jon Sorensen (aka Rotten Design) and the folder is Usagi #7 by John Gonzalez of Dervish Knives. Both of these guys make an excellent knife in their own ways. And both have become surprisingly close friends beyond the normal maker/customer dynamic over the years I've known them. As a result I don't see either of these knives going anywhere anytime soon.

One more of my Dervish Usagi with a couple other of my favorite customs balanced on top. The mini folder is called the Nanite, one of 2 protos built in 2007 by Deryk Munroe of Munroe Metal Works - amazing quality and precision in a tiny package. The fixed blade is the Bowtie by living legend Sal Manaro - probably the fanciest I get in terms of materials.

Speaking of Munroe knives, here's another one of Deryk's amazing creations, the mighty Warg. The Nanite is so small, it rides inside my change/wallet pocket almost every single day for the year and half that I've owned it. The Warg is beast of a folder with a 3v blade, running on washers (the way a working knife should!), and has a remarkably smooth and overall very refined, polished feel despite being an absolute tank of a knife. The compound grind has proven to be pretty practical in normal life although I've only had it since early January so we're still bonding. Deryk is another great maker and human being that I am so glad to have met ever since my first custom knife show in 2015 - we continue to get closer as the months and years go by, and as a result I find myself appreciating and enjoying his work even more.

There's the Manaro Bowtie balanced on top of a now sold Strider. It took a few years to get over the controversy surrounding Mick and Strider knives, but after finally trying an SnG, I absolutely love the design. Shaky QC can be annoying at times and I understand why people choose to stay away, but I've had good luck and am so impressed with the overall design that I have come to the point where I don't like ever not having one in my collection.

Lastly, my Duane Dwyer BBn-M. Duane is one of the first makers I had any kind of real talk with at my first knife show in 2015. At that point he was real excited to have stumbled across a steel called MicroMelt CD#1 and blew me away talking about 3v wear resistance or better, but with 20ish% more impact toughness than S7 at 56-57RC...that's some pretty ridiculous performance and after learning about it I HAD to get a knife in this alloy. Here it is. One special thing about this build is that the carbon fiber on the show side scale is from the brake rotor of one of Lewis Hamilton's race winning F1 cars! As a total car guy, I absolutely love the material and look forward to seeing how this knife serves me - I've had it barely a month, so it'll be a while before I can give any meaningful opinion about this crazy sounding CD#1 alloy. The fixed blade is a custom by Mick Strider but I just sold it and shipped it today actually, so something else with a 12" blade will replace it soon enough.

So there's my dirt guys. All my Busse money (and then some) from my INFI addiction of 2011-2014 has slowly filtered into custom knives.

That said, I'm beyond enthusiastic about the classic Busse I just bought from a nice member here earlier today and can already tell it's something I will be holding on to for some time to come. Between that and the Mega Swamp Warden (way too good to pass up!), I'm glad to know I'll have some Busse (and kin) back in my life soon.

Ok, that's probably more than enough for now...yep, still as long winded as ever! :lol: :haha: :facepalm:

That looks like a nice one Stump Buster Stump Buster !

I also wanted to add this one more that has become my go to yard and chopping tool since I am dumb and don't have a big chunk of INFI anymore:

Dervish Wendingo in A2 that was sold through TAD back in the day. Not a heavy chopper, but it gets the job done and feels good in hand.

Custom Order DW Collector's Series kit. Natural Satin over Exotic Curly Maple with VLT (Vertical Grain). Kit is from 2006. Entire build took 11 months total.
vL6ch5v.jpg

CLnh1rW.jpg

mf2ofI8.jpg

vlXh0Kw.jpg

Pearl Reference Series Kit in OG Purple Craze Finish w. Icon Rack. An 8 piece kit in this color with double bass drums is a unicorn.
P0zyzrG.jpg

Buddy and I jammin!
P2zmfo0.jpg

Last edited:
My beautiful DW Drums 14"x8" 40th Anniversary Snare Drum. 1 of 40 produced, but the only drum in this size. It features a Metallic Pewter Burst over Exotic Tamo Ash VLT (Vertical Grain) w. Nickel Hardware.
EyzGUrC.jpg

-14"x6.5" Pearl Reference Series Multi-Wood Snare
-14"x6.5" Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
-14"x6.5" Pearl Free Floating Steel Snare
-14"x6.5" DW Collector's Bell Brass Snare
-14"x6.5" Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer Hammered Brass Snare
XZQUEqB.jpg

Finally got rid of the massive PA System and Mixer last summer.
NG0yDUi.jpg

PkHq3TI.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back