What do you do for a living?

Ok. I’ll bite. How do I get there too?

Drop out of High School at 15, go to work everyday for the next 45 years, and voila!!!! :D

I did go back to school at 31 after being seriously injured on the job, got a degree in Electronics and Computer Science and spent the next years as a Fiber Optics Engineer and working on automated equipment in hospitals all over the Midwest….on-call 24/7/365 for 11 years and drove 880,000 miles. 😎

EDITED FOR: Blues ;)

Last edited:
Drop out of High School at 15, go to work everyday for the next 45 years, and viola!!!! :D

I did go back to school at 31 after being seriously injured on the job, got a degree in Electronics and Computer Science and spent the next years as a Fiber Optics Engineer and working on automated equipment in hospitals all over the Midwest….on-call 24/7/365 for 11 years and drove 880,000 miles. 😎
See, if you'd just stayed in school you'd know that it's "voila" and not...

Bratsche.jpg

🤣

(Just bustin' 'em, my friend.)

Drop out of High School at 15, go to work everyday for the next 45 years, and viola!!!! :D

My dad always told my brother and me that "if you know how to work, you'll never need a job." Sounds like you lived that out.

I used to be a field biologist. Now I work in international development, and the "field" is typically a hotel and a government meeting room. For the last 20 months, I've been in my basement writing emails and on Teams meetings.
Pics or it didn't happen (which increasingly feels like the case for my desk-bound self), right?

Here's a couple from my field biologist / conservationist phase:
551061_10151435479214954_605602263_n.jpg
320910_10151435478904954_493723322_n.jpg
226389_4383874953_6997_n.jpg
215927_4987549953_956_n.jpg
208228_4987559953_1422_n.jpg

And from earlier in my development career, when I was getting out and about more:
248704_10150285649459954_338612_n.jpg
1934652_68315589953_7718414_n.jpg
11270651_10153463589359954_6010646881791928111_o.jpg
1923880_22945749953_8630_n.jpg
1924109_41206514953_3197_n.jpg

Drop out of High School at 15, go to work everyday for the next 45 years, and voila!!!! :D
I can relate to that...

I was asked to quit high school and go to work with my fathers construction business. I turned 15 that July, and that happened the day before school started in September. I did finish by doing home schooling through 11th and took my GED.

I have been working full time in construction ever since. This makes 35 years now. Been self employed for 32 years. I am exhausted. Hoping to work towards retirement in next 5 years. It was an amazing opportunity that my father gave me. He became disabled and I had to take over management when I was 17.

My dad always told my brother and me that "if you know how to work, you'll never need a job." Sounds like you lived that out.

My mom made me get my first job when I was 14. I’ve never been without a job since then, which makes 29 years now. I’ve worked on automotive parts manufacturing lines, installed phone closets, IT help desk, driven box trucks, managed a motor pool, taught English, worked on a horse ranch, worked in McDonald’s, just all sorts of stuff (librarianship is by far my favorite). I have definitely found that if you can work, you can always find someone to pay you to work even if it’s dirty work. Maybe especially if it’s dirty work…

Signals and Communications Management for a Class 1 Raiload in Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Basically in charge of all electronics ie. Crossings, switches, signals etc. Everyone hates us but we keep you safe, and the stores stocked. (At least when it can get off the boats) lol

Worked on a tobacco farm (hardest work by far), for a butcher, painted houses, in a laser fusion lab, in a nuclear weapons lab (just studying materials, nothing dangerous), in a semiconductor fab facility building the worlds tiniest musical instruments, and now run a medical research lab. Sounds fake now that I’m writing it but it’s all true ;)

Worked on a tobacco farm (hardest work by far), for a butcher, painted houses, in a laser fusion lab, in a nuclear weapons lab (just studying materials, nothing dangerous), in a semiconductor fab facility building the worlds tiniest musical instruments, and now run a medical research lab. Sounds fake now that I’m writing it but it’s all true ;)
Were you in Livermore? I worked there for a little while.

I've recently gone full time into cutlery design, knife making, leatherwork and chores. It was an abrupt and complicated transition, but thanks to Nathan and others I have a good start and I'm confident that this is what I'll be doing from here on out. Will likely get a low profile, high end bike repair gig happening over the next year or so, once I get the space set up.

Like many of you, I've done lots of different things since I started making money. Unlike many of you, I was fired from Pizza Hut for being too much of a freak, so I got that for my resume.

ps. I'm not actually undead. That was a joke.

Like many of you, I've done lots of different things since I started making money.
My first paying job was in a back office of a High St bank, running checks through a big machine and typing in the amounts (back before the days when most payments were by card). The one perk was that a couple of members of the band UB40 had accounts at that branch, and gave us tickets to a concert. Unfortunately, it was the day after my colleagues first took me out for a drink after work, and I was in no fit state to make it downstairs, let alone anywhere else. Luckily, by the time I was doing mammal surveys with game inspectors on the Kazakh steppe, my alcohol tolerance had increased considerably.

I also worked in a few pubs in my hometown, but it wasn't a fancy executive position like being a bartender in the US - there were no tips and you were expected to do everything, including a lot of cleaning and glass washing on slow days.

I used to work in a stroke research lab. We were trying to regrow neurons and neural connections. When I told my grandmother that I "stroked" rats and mice, she just asked me incredulously, "And they pay you to do that Jo Jo?" LOL Poor phrasing on my part I guess. It took me a minute to realize she thought I was getting paid to pet rodents. 😅

I used to work in a stroke research lab. We were trying to regrow neurons and neural connections. When I told my grandmother that I "stroked" rats and mice, she just asked me incredulously, "And they pay you to do that Jo Jo?" LOL Poor phrasing on my part I guess. It took me a minute to realize she thought I was getting paid to pet rodents. 😅
So no happy ending?

🤣

(mea culpa, mea maxima culpa)

Back