" "What do you guys think of this Sanrenmu?" off topic posts from other thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
The text below was my response to a thread in the Knife Reivews and Testing Forum titled "What do you guys think of this Sanrenmu?" Apparently my post along with all others in this thread were too off topic....so here it lies.

Also... I would have never started a thread with a post like the one that this is started with. It is now completely out of context. Please disregard.

- = - = - = - = - = - = - REPLY BELOW = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =

Junk. They are simply one of the companies that make "knock-offs" or "clones". No thanks.

Last edited:
Junk. They are simply one of the companies that make "knock-offs" or "clones". No thanks.

giphy.gif

I would just like the privilege of having an opinion on them and to discuss them without this... stuff.

Unfortunately they come with that ...stuff because technically the companies are stealing. I refuse to partake in that supply chain. You feel free, just remember that when a company is doing something wrong people don't usually like it. That is why the text "baggage" usually comes along with opinions of the knife.

I agree with David. Sick of seeing these cloning scumbags getting free press on this site.

Unfortunately they come with that ...stuff because technically the companies are stealing. I refuse to partake in that supply chain. You feel free, just remember that when a company is doing something wrong people don't usually like it. That is why the text "baggage" usually comes along with opinions of the knife.

How is Sanrenmu stealing?

How is Sanrenmu stealing?

It's called Intellectual Property. They steel designs and things that are patented and make money off of people that buy knock-offs / clones. There is zero honor or respect in something like that. It's just lazy and takes no skill.

In fact, Wavester has already been told on the Spyderco forum to not post anything like this anymore because it goes against everything that Spyderco is about.

Most or all of Sanrenmu's designs are not clones. Many products are made by American companies which are similar to another.
Lookalike1%20250.png

Etc., etc.

The axis lock patent is not valid in China. If there is patent infringement it is done by the person importing the knife. Importing a Sanrenmu knife which does not infringe on a US patent is legally and morally OK

Most or all of Sanrenmu's designs are not clones. Many products are made by American companies which are similar to another.
Lookalike1%20250.png

Etc., etc.

The axis lock patent is not valid in China. If there is patent infringement it is done by the person importing the knife. Importing a Sanrenmu knife which does not infringe on a US patent is legally and morally OK

You tell yourself whatever is needed to keep buying the knives. I choose not to participate. For the last 50 years+ China has always stolen ideas that are making money here in the US and copied them instead of innovating. I'm done discussing this.

Ah, OK. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I misunderstood what morals are.

You tell yourself whatever is needed to keep buying the knives. I choose not to participate. For the last 50 years+ China has always stolen ideas that are making money here in the US and copied them instead of innovating. I'm done discussing this.
Good. I find some Sanrenmu knives to be great value, some are so-so. I'd just like to be able to discuss that.

Ah, OK. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I misunderstood what morals are.
I own a few Sanrenmu. None of them are clones, much less counterfeit. Am I immoral?

Lookalike1%20250.png

Etc., etc.

I hope you realize that the picture you posted diesnt really give a good argument for your case, as generic store brands are usually made by the brand-name company which makes the product That the store brands emulate, often being the same product in different packaging being sold for less because it doesn't have the brand name on it. Generic store brands are bought from the brand-name company by the store and re-sold, the brand-name company not only gave permission but is also the one making said generic brands.

Kinda the opposite of what Sanrenmu and Ganzo are doing. If Benchmade was making the Sanrenmu knives nobody would be having a problem with them.

That's not a generic product. It's a lookalike, there are many.
lookalike-products-05.jpg

Check out the Oreos/Hydrox story.

If I was alive during that time period I would have shunned Oreo, just because they managed to outlast Hydrx doesn't mean that they are a good role model.

What happened to your taco kit example? Did you pick a bad example?

If I was alive during that time period I would have shunned Oreo, just because they managed to outlast Hydrx doesn't mean that they are a good role model.

Outlasted? They don't make hydrox anymore!? Well I've never seen double stuff hydrox, so maybe that's why...[emoji33]

Found a better/funnier one.

No one said Oreos was a great example of morality, just that products which are clones have been made for years much less products which resemble others.

I just want to be able to discuss knives which are not counterfeits or even clones.

Found a better/funnier one.

No one said Oreos was a great example of morality, just that products which are clones have been made for years much less products which resemble others.

I just want to be able to discuss knives which are not counterfeits or even clones.

I understand that these companies make non-counterfeit original models, and if that was all they made I think people who have no problem discussing them.

The fact the same companies have sacrificed their morals for the sake of cheap copies of quality knives makes it harder to praise their non-copies in light of that.

It's an unfortunate situation for them and for the people who like their non-copy knives, and I feel that this thread didn't need to go in he direction it got taken, but it's hard to ignore the ugly side of these companies for the sake of praising them elsewhere.

I understand that these companies make non-counterfeit original models, and if that was all they made I think people who have no problem discussing them.

The fact the same companies have sacrificed their morals for the sake of cheap copies of quality knives makes it harder to praise their non-copies in light of that.

It's an unfortunate situation for them and for the people who like their non-copy knives, and I feel that this thread didn't need to go in he direction it got taken, but it's hard to ignore the ugly side of these companies for the sake of praising them elsewhere.

Sanrenmu does not make many, if any "cheap copies of American knives". They may make lookalikes and may have made clones, like Oreos. Many American companies have engaged in shady practices in the past as well. Do we forever boycott them? More to the point, do we then forever revile and trash them and not let anyone discuss them without shouting them down?

Look, the thread will get shut down soon anyway. Like all do that don't end with trashing Sanrenmu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back