What do YOU like most about being a knifemaker?

Being asked by people that have no inkling to the notion of custom knifemaking if I am some sort of freak or if I kill people with the knives that I make.

Oh shoot, you said the favorite thing, not the most annoying
wink.gif

Like most other posts, the learning and challenge of it. I know there's a wealth of possibilities that I haven't even come close to yet.

Being as young as I am, I thank my lucky stars that I should (knock on wood) have many many years to keep learning more.

It's always a good feeling to hold a finished knife in my hand and pass it on to someone else. But then every time I attend a show, I am constructively humbled and motivated to keep advancing.

Nick
biggrin.gif

L6
A simple dagger with about a 5 inch blade. I just keep trying to complicate things.

nick the most annoying thing for me is the people who ask if i made the knife for o.j. simpson.and think they have come up with the most whitty joke in history.

------------------
Laurence Segal www.RHINOKNIVES.com

I guess you can count me as a full-fledged "groupie" (In quotes since sexual favors are out of the question)
smile.gif

The trouble is that I have never made a knife and I am beginning to understand and even identify with Tim in some ways.

I just enjoy hanging around with all you rich guys, the fancy cars and legit groupies.
Not to mention the works of art that you create from basic elements.

For those of you who have not met me just look for the biggest goofiest smile there is (it is there all weekend at any show that I can get to.) Jerry has seen it and at first he thought I was up to no good at all!

One of these days I gotta start learning how. In the meantime I'll just continue to live precariously through you guys.

Rhino, just say "yes" and ask if they would like one! Or make an exact copy and when they ask, pull it out and ask "This one???" with a gleam in your eye!

When I find out "So that's how that's done" all the burned fingers and mistakes don't seem so bad.
biggrin.gif

The best part is the people, Makers, Dealers and Collectors. What more could you ask ????

Pete

------------------
old pete

I gotta agree with Ed Caffrey...unwrapping (not unwarping) the Xmas presents! I find it difficult enough just to wait til the billet is cool enough to handle, so's I can go see what pattern's underneath the scale!
Bob

I like that I can do some thing that I find very enjoyable and get paid for it.
Plus I can let my mad scientist side loose and have a productive use for the 6ft bolts of lightning besides scarring the crap out of the neighbors.
smile.gif

------------------
Edward Randall Schott

Let the future tell the
truth and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
The present is theirs, the future, for which I really worked, is mine".
Nikoli Tesla EdwardRSchott@aol.com

www.angelfire.com/ct/schottknives/

I like being a professional knifemaker because I don't have to answer to anyone (except my wife). I like being my own boss. No job interviews or applications. The self reliance part is important to me too. I can be me. Nobody can tell what to do or how to do it. Nobody can tell me I am not dressing properly or I need a hair cut or that I talk funny. I don't have to watch my Ps and Qs. I can tell someone to kiss my ass if I feel so inclined without worrying if I will still have a job tomorrow. I can work 16 hour days or I can sleep in. I can whittle on a wood handle all day long without getting some cocked eyebrow from an employer. I don't have to put up with those kiss up co-worker company men. I can crack a beer for lunch and fart whenever I feel like it. I guess it boils down to freedom for me. There's also something about a sharp edge that still thrills me everytime I make a knife.

------------------
http://www.livelyknives.com

Outstanding Tim!! Best post in this thread so far! Nice web site and amazing knives! I can't wait to start forging. It must be fascinating .

------------------
Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

one time I knocked on a surfboard shapers door, opened it, and found him standing there butt naked with only shoes on, his planer in his hand, and a bottle of jim beam on the shelf!!!! Mostly its the rock star status...minus the money and fame and women, but all the rest.........
smile.gif

Jerry,
To heck with that 200 year old knife. I wanna know how you have almost figured out the Hermanator.
smile.gif

Darrell
I like the getting nekid part except when I arc weld. Boy does that hurt!

Kit
No one can fully understand the bastid when even the doctor slapped his mom at his birthing. I like him though and would like to see him run as a board member on the Guild. I have already asked if he would run if I nominated him. Hows things running up there for you?
jf

ha ha, you guys are great! One of the best parts of it is wondering if there is enough money to pay the bills, then thinking screw it! Personal happiness is worth much more than the money made! Great thread, I am going to start a brother thread to this......

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Back