What do you like to use for cut protection?

Seems like everybody jokes about bleeding on every knife they make. But in all seriousness, my hands are sore, and I don't want any more cuts. What are you guys wearing on your hands while working?

I've learned to de-burr my blanks after profiling before grinding bevels... lots of shallow (even non-bleeding) cuts are lousy.

That and sharpen last, always.

Curious what other people do too.

I avoid having any sharp edges on my stuff until the very end, when its all low speed/ hand work

No gloves here.
I rarely cut myself while making knives either.
Your hands will toughen up eventually.

Callouses and mindfulness keep me cut free for the most part. The only thing I use gloves for in my shop is hot work.

I wear metal handling gray knit gloves for grinding. They have saved a lot of skin.When doing all other work, I make sure the blade is NOT sharp.

The most likely place to get cut is in sharpening and any final buffing. Tape up the blade after sharpening if any more work will be done.
Doing shiagi- togi on Japanese blades is a really cut prone task.

Wearing kevlar gloves when doing some tasks is a good idea. Some folks don't like them because they are a bit bulky.

One place a lot of tiny (and not so tiny) cuts come from is metal, edges. Equipment may have sharp edges, sheet stock and shear cut bars will likely have a sharp edge, and edges in grinding may become sharp. Always "break" these edges with a stroke or two of 400 grit paper.

I use cut resistant gloves from Home Despot when grinding. Grey knit with black rubber coating. I do NOT wear gloves (except maybe thin nitrile gloves) when working on the lathe or milling machine.

I only wear gloves when profiling. I will sometimes tape my thumbs and index fingers when grinding post heat treat, but mostly just to keep the steel dust out of my skin. Doesn't hurt, but the ladies want my hands butter soft ya dig? Oh, and sharpen last.

only time i have gloves on in the shop is sawing sheet stock, picking up swarf, taking foil packs off or moving tools
out of the shop i use them for everything cause i hate grinding with my hands all nicked up

I use dyneema cut resistant gloves. I order a size a bit smaller than my usual glove size (I order the M and usually wear a L) and they break into my hand size very soon without any looseness. Dexterity is much better than the mechanic's gloves I used to use and their only weakness is against very small splinters. Amazon has tons of them to choose from - most are less than 10 bucks a pair. Here are the ones I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XDRYBY8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do not sharpen my knives until the very end(actually, I do... but then run it on a scotchbrite wheel to dull it)
When on the grinder, I use thin kevlar/lycra knit with smooth nitrile coating. I find the grippy stuff catches on the belt.

09-K1450---UP.jpg

I just use bare hands, they get though after awhile. Can't work with gloves or tape.

And had he thought to say it, I'll bet Don uses good - sharp - new - belts!
Just like a dull knife is way more dangerous than a sharp one, so go belts. Dull worn out belts will burn you (in more ways than one) if you let'em.

Wow lots of great answers!! I went to Amazon and got some gloves there. When you say tape your fingers, are we talkin electricians tape, painters tape, medical tape?

I use paper tape, here in Italy we use it on painted or otherwise delicate surfaces. I use gloves only during the roughing phase. The blade is sharpened only after the sheath is finished.

No gloves at all except welding, quenching knives and some hard work around house. I thinking about nitrile gloves since I use wet grinding.

Idea: If You need to wear gloves make balance between grinder power and ability to stop grinder when gloves is pulled between belt and workrest (if You use it).

Last edited:
Back