What do you think of the new Busse Sword?

Can one of you fellas tell me exactly what infi steel is and why it is so highly hyped? Does it really cut better than modern carbon steels?

It's not that it cuts better. It is a matter of durability.

Infi can handle a level of abuse that would leave 1095 steel broken chipped and useless.

Go to YouTube and search Busse destruction test

Find me ANY normal carbon steel blade that can baton through brIcks and 2 steel pipes without tearing out the edge or chipping

Find me ANY normal carbon steel blade that can baton through brIcks and 2 steel pipes without tearing out the edge or chipping

For all those times when one's survival relies on having more cinder block and pipe for kindling in the middle of a sword fight ;)

That test was pretty amazing. I was also amazed at how much torture that 1055 CS machete took.

It was impressive, but...I would love to see someone duplicate it in there back yard. Just saying... something along the lines Dan Keffeler's CPM3V video perhaps.

Edited to add: I posted a question on infi steel over in the knifemakers forum. While I only have a few replies at this point, one of the replies was from a member who enjoys considerable respect for his knives and knowledge. He said Busse did his homework, and while there may be a lot of hype, it is a very good, durable steel which does much of what he (Busse) says it does. I would still like to see a backyard demo, tho. Just for the cool factor alone, if nothing else.

Update for those interested: If you haven't visited the knifemakers forum to take a look at the infi thread, there's been an interesting development. An infi user came forward telling a story of how his blade chipped badly while clearing brush (and hitting rocks). Question: Should it had done that if infi steel can cut through steel pipes, concrete blocks, etc.? Input sought.

Last edited:
I posted a question on infi steel over in the knifemakers forum. While I only have a few replies at this point, one of the replies was from a member who enjoys considerable respect for his knives and knowledge. He said Busse did his homework, and while there may be a lot of hype, it is a very good, durable steel which does much of what he (Busse) says it does.

Just wanted to say when I was researching Busse back in 2008, the thing that struck me was a lot of people who seemed to be knowledgeable were saying similar things about Infi and Busse Combat. As for all the usual doubts and user stories (both good and bad), I think it's best to do a search as it's all been covered before in pretty good detail.

I didn't realize how completely I hijacked this thread. Sorry, Be Prepared. I guess I got a little carried away.

a survival tactical katana that batons bricks and pipes, and with scales of g10 that might weigh .05 ounces more than micarta thus throwing off the balance for splitting said bricks and pipes...

this has been a very entertaining morning read :D

414-large.jpg

S-7 jackhammer bit. What do I win? :D

I can tell you what you didn't win... a busse katana...

414-large.jpg

S-7 jackhammer bit. What do I win? :D

:eek: you got me sir! nice.

That had not occurred to me. I would REALLY like to see an s7 knife buy a top maker go head to head with an INFI knife.

S7 is a bit of a mystery to me. I haven't ever really seen anything that pushed it's durability (as a knife steel) to the limit

It also demonstrates nicely how a good heat treatment on a blade in thick stock with a broad edge angle will hold up under high impact on literally rock-hard targets. Busse takes a similar approach with many of their knives, so the performance is to be expected. :)

Either that, or maybe Busse could really show off by repeating Noss's test, and then still being able to shave or cut paper with it after. If that happened, then color me more impressed. I admit to not finishing the video.

well, i don't think anyone expects a busse to hold a shaving edge after batoning through a few bricks and a pipe.

The point of it is that doing that with MOST knives results in irreparable damage. With the busse, you just need a sharpener and an edge reprofile.

honestly, you're living in a fantasy if you think a sword is for "batoning"

True, they aren't designed for batonning...but my brother batonned his Rodent Waki right through a tree stump while we were camping, because it's fun.:) (fun, something that some people seem too serious to have;))
One of these days I'll get the pictures (they're on someone else camera).

He paid the cash because he wanted something which would stand up to all the stupid abuse that anyone could give it. And it has; he's lent it out to anyone who wanted to use it, and the only damage was from some dumbass who couldn't avoid hitting rocks. THAT took some work to fix.

well, i don't think anyone expects a busse to hold a shaving edge after batoning through a few bricks and a pipe.

The point of it is that doing that with MOST knives results in irreparable damage. With the busse, you just need a sharpener and an edge reprofile.

Simple ole 1095CV did pretty well batoning through cement blocks, refrigerators, etc. And at a fraction of the price. I'm thinking BRab's thread about the BK2, if you haven't seen it. Yeah, I'm sure there was a little more damage. But still, 5160, 52100, 1095, etc, all can hold up very well under serious abuse without "irreparable damage," and at a fraction of the cost.

:eek: you got me sir! nice.

That had not occurred to me. I would REALLY like to see an s7 knife buy a top maker go head to head with an INFI knife.

S7 is a bit of a mystery to me. I haven't ever really seen anything that pushed it's durability (as a knife steel) to the limit

Interesting request. OOOH, I know, buy a Scrap Yard knife. They are made by the Busse Family, and use S7 steel (modified and called Sr77) with a special heat treat protocol.

Maybe a tiny bit more toughness, at the sacrifice of edge retention and rust resistance.

Either that, or maybe Busse could really show off by repeating Noss's test, and then still being able to shave or cut paper with it after. If that happened, then color me more impressed. I admit to not finishing the video.

If you did not finish the video, you did not get any benefit from it.

The side impact with a sledge hammer while fixed in a vice is serious stuff.

One thing that I hope happens is that he re posts the more controversial tests. The Chris Reeve knives and Strider knives that break much earlier in the tests. Man did he catch some flack for that! He also tested lots of less expensive knives. There were a few surprises in toughness. Two cheapies from Cold Steel did quite well (I have both).

Maybe if we bug him enough on Youtube, he can be persuaded to put up all the tests. Though, if you can't be bothered to watch them, it won't do any good for you.

NO steel will be "shaving sharp" after chopping through concrete, and steel.

If you find a steel that is still shaving sharp after doing the tests that Noss does, then whomever invented it is probably only moments away from inventing a real lightsaber.

I have watched every test he did on every single knife he ever tested and posted.

But, I also own and use mine.

Infi is not "perfect" steel. It won't slice trough a tank, and still whittle hair. It won't cut diamonds and block laser blasts.

It is a great, hard use steel, that has impressive qualities in a lot of areas.

Great rust resistance (especially for a 'non stainless').

Super impact resistance, super lateral strength. Ability to bend, and not take a set or snap.

Super resistance to major edge damage or blow out.

It won't win an all out edge retention against abrasive medium. There are other steels that have better edge retention.

There are lots of collectors who have custom knives from a lot of great makers, who still buy and use Busse (and Scrap Yard and Swamp Rat knives).

I know custom makers that make fantastic knives, who still buy and use Busse, Scrapyard, and Swamprat knives. One maker (he makes awesome hard use knives out of 5160) was asked why, with the great knives he makes, he still payed for Busse knives.

His reply was that he can't make Infi.

I want countless custom makers work. I don't look at a custom piece and say "sure wish this guy was making these out of infi".

There are lots of great steels out there, some much more expensive than infi. Lots of steel cheaper than Infi that make great steels.

Heck, one of my favorite knives, that gets used a lot is 1075. Nothing super about it. It is a cheap Condor. It does not seem to mind, though.

Last edited:
The scrapizashi is noticably more lively in hand that the AK47 or Waki and the testing videos were really impressive. And they released right around $300. I liked the solid slabs more than the wrap though and sold mine.

Back