What got you started?

I have been interested in knives for as long as I can remember. My dad gave me my first knife, some real cheap POS, and soon after started buying all sorts of cheap knifes, most of which I have broken. Now, that hasn't been so long, as I am just 17, but a few months back I found a copy of TK, and found out what real knives were. I was immediatly hooked, and ordered my first really good knife, from AL Mar.

This question made me remember some very good times.
I was a kid. I can't remember anyone beside me, who was interested in knives then. So why did I get interested in cold weapons? Maybe this is what they call genetic memory, I got it from my ancestors, from the time a man couldn't make a step without a blade, maybe it is.

Pocket knives were an integral part of my youth. Every family function had a situation where something had to be cut or opened and ALL of the men present would subtlely race to get their knife out first.

So, I always had them but never really paid attention to the quality/type until I picked up a Blade magazine when my wife was recovering from the delivery of our first child four years ago. Something just snapped and all the sudden I *had* to have a Benchmade AFCK and a Benchmade Sentinel. After that it was all down hill....

smile.gif

Jon

I guess I had always been drawn to them. An uncle gave me a little folder which was promptly confiscated and lost (on purpose) and as a young teen I remember buying my first "real" knife, a schrade stag handled fixed blade ,with which I immediately cut myself with
smile.gif
then a buck 110 which was carried for years a gerber mark II and a couple of others as a late teen etc... My sickness really appeared shortly before Y2K when I wanted to find real knives in case. now it is entirely a sad thing...
smile.gif

------------------
If You Abide in Him then,"All His Promises are YES and AMEN"

I've always had a thing for knives as have most here. I really dropped over the edge after a trip to a knife and gun show. I'm not into guns so I'd never been to a show but as a former machinist I love the work that goes into them, but the knives....... The whole afternoon was spent saying WOW! Bought three and it's been downhill ever since.

I'm not much of a collector. Each knife is a tool I use daily. My first expensive knife was a $20 Buck Esquire. Didn't know of the knife cult until I stumbled upon art knives selling for thousands courtesy the 'Net. Research led me to the high end production knives. The only way for me understand the value of a $100 folder was to buy one. Each additional knife has filled a need and answered a question. Now I know about and appreciate fine culery, and I have have a tough, elegant, useful set of knives.

My best friend in college purchased a Cold Steel Tanto. He took that knife everywhere. After awhile I became interested. In 1990, I discovered the Cold Steel Imperial Tanto made from damascus. The Imperial is what got me interested. It took me ten years to finally obtain one.

Geez, I've always had knives. Even when I was a wee lad, I can remember having pocket knives. But, I didn't really get started into knives until I bought my SAK. I did more stuff with that knife than I can remember. MacGuyver just happened to be a hit show at the time.
biggrin.gif

Then I started buying more knives and higher end knives. I was addicted. Then there was my house fire
eek.gif
. Knives all gone.
frown.gif
Now, I only buy knives for their utility...none of that badass fantasy crap. No matter how much I like a knife, if I already have one that does that job...then I won't buy a new one.

One sure way to get disinterested in knives is to buy a cheaply made piece of Tai metal. That means when you have kids don't give them a cheap POS!!!

------------------
Stay back! or I'll...OUCH...cut myself.

Back