What happened to all the Rats?

I went to the new Swamp Rat Company Store Web site https://www.shop.ratknives.com/splashPage.hg
and they only have 1 knife, the Mischief 6. Am I just not navigating through correctly, or is that their entire line?

Currently, yes, that's the only one available.

For a long time, it was "order it and wait 3-9 months" so at least now, you get it within a week of ordering it.

The "new line" will allegedly make it's appearance, one by one, "soon".........(feel free to define "soon" any way you wish.)

BUT, they ARE great knives, hence we keep coming back to at least check in to see what, if any, new knives have been added or changed out.

You can buy an M6 right now, Howling Rat is going to be next, eric will let the forums know when it comes up.

The crash axe is supposed to show up at the store as well.

No intention here to inflame Busse and Swamp Rat Knife fans, but, what's so special about these knives?

I have owned hundreds of knives over many decades, from Randalls to the common Boy Scout knive, cheap ones and very expensive ones. I've even made a few. I have spent a lot of time in the "wilderness" and used many different kinds of blades for various jobs.

Both Busse and Swamp Rat websites haven't worked for (years?) The knives are laser-cut from multiple blanks, from good steel, and prefab slabs are rivited in place. They can be (and are) produced by the hundreds (thousands?) without any significant hands-on work (unlike, eg. Randalls, et al) but command high prices. Please explain - especially after reading on this site about two Busse blades breaking in half.

Again, no flaming, please. Just curious. Thanks - I know they must be good, tough knives - I just can't seem to be able to order one, and the wait is said to be almost as long as for a Randall. Why?

Drocko

Again, no flaming, please. Just curious. Thanks - I know they must be good, tough knives - I just can't seem to be able to order one, and the wait is said to be almost as long as for a Randall. Why?

Drocko

It seems that Jerry Busse and his subsidiaries have made a business decision to keep the supply of their knives artificially low. I find this aggravating, and I've been insulted and threatened on this forum for saying so, but I have to admit they make a quality product. A lot of people would be happier if they would return to a standard product line that is always available.

I wish I'd never sold my nARK!

I read the thread about the Skeleton Key breaking. I own one, and I must say just embedding the blade into concrete is impressive for a blade of this size and geometry. It is a neck knife, after all. That it broke on being kicked...most neck knives could not have penetrated, they would have failed then.
Some knives come alive in your hand...some knives make you have a religious experience (Off Duty), but until you've got one, you'll never understand.

It seems that Jerry Busse and his subsidiaries have made a business decision to keep the supply of their knives artificially low.
I wish I'd never sold my nARK!

I dont think they keep it artificially low. When Busses are available to order you can order as many as you like so actually I think the buyers actually make the decision on how many are made. A blade could be up to 3-6 months before it is taken down and another is put up to order. There are some older Busses knives that are easier to find and there are some like the SFNO that everyone wants and they fetch a premium on the secondary market becuase they are few and far between.
I have come to the conclusion that being a Busse Combat/SRKW fan is a longterm commitment. Over the last year and a half Ive collected most of the Busses Ive wanted. So now I just have to wait for some of the knives, like the SFNO, to go back into production and grab a couple then.

So now I just have to wait for some of the knives, like the SFNO, to go back into production and grab a couple then.

Wouldn't you be happier if they had a steady product line so that you could order any model at any time, within reason?

But maybe there's a shortage of their proprietary steels, so the situation isn't artificial. Who knows?

The way it works now it helps the value of my knives. If I ever sell any of them I usually get what I paid or more but that means I usually pay more for what I want if they arent currently making them. I only have a couple Swamp Rats left but I plan on keeping them.

It and I've been insulted and threatened on this forum for saying so,

Can you point out where you've been insulted and threatened for expressing your views? It better not have happened on this forum and if it did I'd sure like to know about it so I can deal with it.

As far as "keeping the supply artificially low" I have to completely disagree. There are a Busses and Swamp Rat's available right now at both Company Stores available to order for immediate shipping. I also know the production numbers on many of the models and they are by no means "low"

They are extremely sought after and because of that they are sometimes hard to find, however that does not mean that the supply is kept artificially low. I would agree that it is sometimes hard to keep up with demand however once again that has to do with the fact that they are extremely popular knives.

:D:D

Eric,

It was actually in the Busse forum a couple of years ago when this happened. I should have been more specific. I'm not too worried about it. I just wish there was greater availability of these models.

Eric,

It was actually in the Busse forum a couple of years ago when this happened. I should have been more specific. I'm not too worried about it. I just wish there was greater availability of these models.

What? in this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312006

Where you made a rant about your dissatisfaction with the new production protocol, and nobody attacked you at all? So in the years between that rant and now, not only have you failed to come to terms with how the system works, but you have convinced yourself that you were attacked and threatened?

That is a lie. I just read through every thread you have participated in on the Busse forum, and there is no sign of attacks or threats.

If I am wrong, provide a link to these threats and attacks.

hmmm, missed that one. :eek: Still, not a threat- a mild attack by a guy who seldom posts, and has not posted at all since march of '05.
Compared to the angry BS that he was responding to, it is nothing of consequence.

Holy cow! The responses to my question remind me of a poster that hung on the wall of a barbershop-bar in north Idaho. The cartoon showed a bewildered bear lying flat on its back in the middle of the road, with tire tracks across its belly. Down the road, in a cloud of dust, a car was speeding away. The caption read "All I wanted was a cookie!"

I love a vigorous debate, but name-calling gets nowhere. My question remains: why are Blusse and Rat knives so scarce and expensive? Both are very easilly manufactured, and the simple design, which doesn't include a guard, facillitates the process. From what I hear, I guess these companies believe they can make more money by building fewer blades and keeping the price high.

That's their business, but I think it's shortsighted. I can just say I have repeatedly tried to order one of these blades and couldn't find a way to do so. The websites should be taken down, or re-activated. They do not work, but waste a lot of time.

I would add, there is lots of very good, custom-tempered steel out there, and it's comparitively inexpensive to set up the jigs to assemble handles. I'm surprised someone else doesn't enter the market to produce adequate quantities of other fine blades at reasonable prices.

Drocko

I can just say I have repeatedly tried to order one of these blades and couldn't find a way to do so. The websites should be taken down, or re-activated. They do not work, but waste a lot of time.

Drocko

Hi Drocko,

Swamp Rat Knives are currently available at the Swamp Rat Company Store. The Mischief 6 with logo and the Rat Pick are currently in stock. You can currently place an order for the Fusion Battle Mistress at the Busse Combat Home Page or choose to buy an American Kensei at the Busse Company Store. If you need assistance at any of these sites, there are many here that can help you out.

BTW, Welcome to the forums. :thumbup:

Holy cow! The responses to my question

Umm... actually you only received 2 responses to your question, the rest of the comments were in response to other statements made in this thread. (post #6 and #7 are the only one's that have anything to do with your question)

I love a vigorous debate, but name-calling gets nowhere.

No one called you a name and as a matter of fact there was NO namecalling in this thread. Reread it, any names were once again in reference to other questions (and none were directed at you)

I can just say I have repeatedly tried to order one of these blades and couldn't find a way to do so. The websites should be taken down, or re-activated. They do not work, but waste a lot of time.

360Joules pointed out how you can place orders, spend a minute or two on any of the four forums associated with Busse or Swamp Rat and you can immediately find the answers. Otherwise you could have emailed any of the info emails and received a rapid response.
I find this statement interesting, because it just indicates you really didn't spend any time trying to buy one. In addition there are many people that have bought numerous different models direct from the company in a short period of time, if you want them they are extremely easy to find.

I would add, there is lots of very good, custom-tempered steel out there, and it's comparitively inexpensive to set up the jigs to assemble handles. I'm surprised someone else doesn't enter the market to produce adequate quantities of other fine blades at reasonable prices.
Drocko

Sounds like that would be a good project for you to undertake, personally I don't think any of the Busses need your business planning as Jerry will celebrate his 25th year as a Custom Maker in 2007.

Now, if you really want to know why they are so popular I'd be happy to answer, however, I think you are more interested in trying to make negative statements in the form of a question.
If you do really want an answer to your question you may want to start a new thread and ask it in a way people will want to answer. If you do that I'll join in with my opinions.

:D:D

Back