What is a lanyard for on a pocket knife?

I have seen them on knives so I figured I would try one on my griptillian that I Carry in my pocket. I find it just gets in the way of grabbing.rhe the knife and gets between my knife and hand. But my hands are not nimble so that may be it. I can see it better with a clip on the knife. If the hole was more to the end on this knife it would be better.
ee9c770881562700944f2537e846cc6f.jpg

whoever decided the lanyard hole should go there was definitely an idiot 😉

For me a lanyard can be a way to as a personal touch to a folder. if it's a smaller lightweight traditional pocket knife with a bail or lanyard hole ,it would help retrieve the knife from my pocket and keep the it upright if the lanyard hangs outside.

The keyring on my vic recruit is listed as a lanyard ring though I don't consider it one, anyway with it I have a suspension clip attached to suspend it in my pocket.

I think most people put one on because they think it looks cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It make it easier to get an alox vic pioneer out of the front pocket full of loose change and other items. It also aids in finding said knife in the couch. My kids like to make keychain lanyards, so I had them make me one for that knife. I would not want one on every knife. On my condor mini bushlore, I have one to go around my wrist while using it.

It really helps me get the knife out of my pocket, but the one on that mini grip would be to short for me.

Mike

Originally, I believe they were designed to pull the knife out of pockets. They seem to have morphed into "fashion" accessories. I've never felt the need for one. ymmv

That's what I am getting. Bummer it gets in the way.

Idk if this counts but on balisongs people make paracord latches to replace metal latches as the paracord latchs don't get stuck on your safe handle, don't scuff your finish and on knives without latch gates they don't mess up your blade.

But it's not really a lanyard ... I digress.

I only keep a knife in that pocket that I fondle too much. But my hands are less then dexderous so it is more if a hinderence. I had to sell my barrage because I kept closing my fingers because I had to hold too tightly when closing it.

First time I saw a knife with a lanyard its purpose was for quick extraction. The knife was in his pocket and the lanyard came up and was tucked under his belt. The old fella who taught me this was very skilled with edged tools and to this day if I see a a older gentleman with a bit of string tucked into his belt leading to his pocket I consider him armed and educated.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Definitely a bad spot for a hole. I use the rear standoff for a lanyard. On my larger grip I have to no hole option looks better that way.

I have them on some knives others they just don't work or look good. Some I have for extraction. Some I have on a small knife to add a little extra grip on the handle. Some are there because they look cool. This has been said before, a lanyard should go around the wrist. Most of what is on folding knives is a fob. I mostly have fobs but on a one salt knife there is a long enough lanyard to go around my wrist for use in extreme wet conditions.

I like them on knives that don't clip onto my pocket. The lanyard makes it easier for me to find the knife in my pocket and extract it from said pocket.

I don't use them on any of my clip knives.

For some fixed blades, a thong helps with grip, but that is maybe more placebo than actual benefit, but I still like the extra "comfort" on some choppers.

Not for everyone, and certainly not for every knife.

I still can't tie one for beans though.....

best

mqqn

That's a fob. A fob is supposed to make it easier to pull it out. A lanyard provides an attachment point to make sure you don't drop it. Either a loop that goes over your hand or wrist, or a longer length that attaches to a belt or other part of your body/clothing.

I still can't tie one for beans though.....

best

mqqn

I mentioned the diamond knot in jest earlier, but it's an easy enough decorative knot. I used to have a hard time remembering how to do it until I realized it's a Carrick bend (which for whatever reason I remembered easily) with two extra steps. Another easier one is the Matthew Walker knot.

Back