1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is a sleeveboard pattern?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Easyrider, Mar 25, 2014.

1. fatcorgi

fatcorgi

Nov 12, 2011
    here are a few more sleeveboard images, a Cattaraugus, funny how short the master blade is on some of these old ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    This seems to be a bit of a variation of patterns, A sleeveboard congress pen, I guess. Old slip joints are an extremely complex study. The more I learn the less I feel I know.:eek:

Best regards

Robin
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    This may qualify? Remington tip-bolster Senator/Sleeveboard, pinned shield c 1920s. 7.6cm/3.12"

[​IMG]

Thanks, Will

4. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    Couple of pretty cool knives there fellas!

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I understand a congress has an arched back. I would call your knife a 4-blade sleeveboard pen, Robin. But I am certainly not the last word.

6. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Here are a few sleeveboards, new and old
    [​IMG]

Teardrops and regular jacks are not the same. Regular (or swell-end) jacks have straight sides to the handle, while teardrops swell outward toward the head. The sides of a teardrop jack are concave in profile.

7. cnas122

cnas122

Mar 23, 2008
    This is a sleeveboard

[​IMG]

8. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    Very interesting....So a Whaler is a teardrop???.....................FES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rma100

rma100

Nov 12, 2011
    A Whaler is a Swell Center Sunfish. I believe the original was designed by Charlie Platts in the 1880's.

10. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Top to Bottom: Regular Jack, Sleeveboard Jack, Swell-End Jack
    [​IMG]

11. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    Thank you.........................Fes

12. george65

george65

Dec 21, 2008