What is a sleeveboard pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are a few more sleeveboard images, a Cattaraugus, funny how short the master blade is on some of these old ones.

This seems to be a bit of a variation of patterns, A sleeveboard congress pen, I guess. Old slip joints are an extremely complex study. The more I learn the less I feel I know.:eek:

Best regards

Robin
13428748735_f05089dff8.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This may qualify? Remington tip-bolster Senator/Sleeveboard, pinned shield c 1920s. 7.6cm/3.12"

Thanks, Will

This seems to be a bit of a variation of patterns, A sleeveboard congress pen, I guess. Old slip joints are an extremely complex study. The more I learn the less I feel I know.:eek:

Best regards

Robin

This may qualify? Remington tip-bolster Senator/Sleeveboard, pinned shield c 1920s. 7.6cm/3.12"
Thanks, Will

Couple of pretty cool knives there fellas!

Best regards

Robin
13428748735_f05089dff8.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I understand a congress has an arched back. I would call your knife a 4-blade sleeveboard pen, Robin. But I am certainly not the last word.

Here are a few sleeveboards, new and old

I think Teardop and Swell End are the same, but...it's true some Teardrops are much more pointy ended (depends on how they were squeezed out??!) but they can be referred to as Candle-End/Tip. The forthcoming CASE version is like this and apparently follows old English pattern in this. Old catalogues seem to refer to Swell End, so perhaps Teardrop became a more vogue name at one stage??

I begin to suspect I know nothing.....the great leveller:D

Teardrops and regular jacks are not the same. Regular (or swell-end) jacks have straight sides to the handle, while teardrops swell outward toward the head. The sides of a teardrop jack are concave in profile.

A Whaler is a Swell Center Sunfish. I believe the original was designed by Charlie Platts in the 1880's.

The title pretty much asks the question. I have seen references to sleeveboard patterns and to be honest I have no clue as to what they are or look like.

TIA
Sleeve board looks like a an Elephant Toe but just a bit longer on the tapered end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back