What is the 940 or PM2 of the traditional world?

The Benchmade 940 and Spyderco PM2 are ubiquitous recommendations for a modern pocket clip folder, and I'm wondering what the equivalent is in the traditional world.

Long-ish blade(s), efficient size and weight, quality materials, and availability.

What am I shopping for?

The Benchmade 940 and Spyderco PM2 are ubiquitous recommendations for a modern pocket clip folder, and I'm wondering what the equivalent is in the traditional world.

Long-ish blade(s), efficient size and weight, quality materials, and availability.

What am I shopping for?

Lionsteel Otnat is a reverse tanto if those float your boat. Bang for the buck blows the Benchmade out of the water.

To line up with your two examples, you need to find something made from too thick stock that's ground too thick at a way high price and is popular for no good reason. That's tough to do in the traditional world, most of are thin stock with a thin grind at a reasonable price and no one pattern is dominant. You might try some of the Northwoods knives with the saber grind. Buy them on the aftermarket and you'll be in a familiar price range, the saber grind best approximates the cutting performance you're used to, and they're popular for no good reason other than pretty covers. That's about as close as you're going to get ...

I think the Buck 110 does fit the description or the Schrade version. I'd get the light version.

LionSteel makes a good slip joint!

111mm Vic SAK.... Used to be my standard carry for many years.

I don't own either the BM 940 or Spydie PM2.

On a bit of a more serious note, you can probably say that GEC is the Benchmade or Spyderco of the traditional world. They all make a wider variety of knives than necessary, are nicer than necessary*, sell at a premium, and have a substantial following of collectors. Getting people to agree on which model is the "best" isn't going to happen. A Stockman or a single-blade Trapper will usually be in the running, but Barlows and Jacks will be fighting for their places.

*By nicer than necessary, I mean that the materials, fit, and finish are much better than they need to be to perform the cutting jobs they're intended to do. A GEC doesn't cut any better or last any longer than a SAK costing a third as much. But they sure are pretty. I think this is also true for the other two, except that they produce knives that don't cut anywhere near as well as a SAK. I think that's because of the tacticool image of toughness they project. Folks who don't understand knives very well think that because it looks tough, it's good for prying or abuse. So they break the tips, send them in for repair, and the next generation of knives is even more overbuilt. You can see this over time with Spyderco in particular, with their flagship low-end knives growing ridiculous thick tips.

I think Case takes the honors there. Good but not Great like BM's.

I'm coming at it from the idea that the knives made are generally of very high fit and finish at a relatively high price. I wouldn't say either of Case, but thresholds for fit, finish, and price vary from person to person. Case does have a substantial collector following, but is it the majority of the knives sold? It might be, but I don't really know. Since they sell in hardware stores and farm supply stores, I'd guess not, but it would just be a guess.

If I were to answer your question directly, (rather than tell you how I really feel about a knife company) I’d say a some variation of the slim dogleg trapper or the #48 in GEC and Case parlance. They’re pretty much ubiquitous, long, slim, slicey and handy. Just about every traditional knife company has made a version of this pattern. They're common enough that belt holsters specifically for this pattern are available from a variety of companies. Barlows are all the range among the internet knife community as a sort of high end trade currency but if you meet someone in real life that’s carrying a slipjoint that’s not a SAK, it’s probably a slim trapper.

If I were to answer your question directly, (rather than tell you how I really feel about a knife company) I’d say a some variation of the slim dogleg trapper or the #48 in GEC and Case parlance. They’re pretty much ubiquitous, long, slim, slicey and handy. Just about every traditional knife company has made a version of this pattern. They're common enough that belt holsters specifically for this pattern are available from a variety of companies. Barlows are all the range among the internet knife community as a sort of high end trade currency but if you meet someone in real life that’s carrying a slipjoint that’s not a SAK, it’s probably a slim trapper.

After eliminating SAKs and Scouts, I mostly see Stockman patterns in real life, but I understand that Trappers are super popular in some parts of the country. I find the Stockman pattern more useful as a work knife because of the control and cutting power the shorter secondaries give me along with a longer main blade for when I need one that size. I've been thinking about modding a Trapper to have a Spear main and Wharnecliffe secondary, but I haven't gotten off my duff. If the OP likes the substantial in-hand feel of the moderns, he might want to go full Trapper rather than one of the the slim versions.

Since traditionals came first, would it not be easier to find the Barlow or stockman of the modern knife world ?

The Barlow of the modern world has a plastic handle, opens with one hand, locks, and has a pocket clip. The Stockman of the modern world is one of those SAKs where the main opens with one hand.

But the OP wants to know what specific knives are popular, along with: "Long-ish blade(s), efficient size and weight, quality materials, and availability." So he's not about pattern.

Longish blades aren't popular because anything over about 3.25" gets unwieldy in daily use.
Efficient size and weight isn't common due to typical steel or brass lined and bolstered construction. Most traditionals with 3.5" blades start to get darned heavy. About the only way to be efficient is to find a two-blade single springer or a modern traditional that uses titanium. But those aren't popular.
Availability is tough, too, since it must be married to popularity and popular knives are snapped up in minutes. The guy wants a unicorn.

The Boker Tree brand knives might fill the bill nicely, except that they aren't all that popular ... maybe if Boker came out with fancy new covers every few months they would be.

If you want something a little more traditional I’d recommend a GEC 73/Remington Bullet Knife. I’d also say go with a single blade if you want something that feels a bit more modern over the Trapper/two blade. It’s a really great frame that should hit a lot of marks for you. My first GEC was a 73 and it kicked off my overall appreciation for such knives.

f89dcxW.jpg

Traditional knives don't have hex head screws in my world. Nope.

In a Traditional knife I prefer something thin, light, small enough to hide in my front pocket, big enough to get the job done, pinchable … GEC 15 single clip. Available in several blade styles / configurations, even with a caplifter for those inclined. Your preferred blade configuration might not be readily available but the hunt makes the catch more worthwhile. Case swaybacks are another nice pattern that is probably ubiquitous ... widely available in one or two blade configurations, lots of cover options, useful wharncliffe blade easy to sharpen. Agree with Hickory n steel Hickory n steel the Buck 110 is ubiquitous, but too bulky for my front pocket.

NOYm9jI.jpg

qulNF09.jpg

C2KOjdE.jpg

I know I been singing this knifes praises lately, but it really hard not to. Maybe a little on the smaller side of your description but lets give it a rundown.
One blade locks,this is also the straight edge more utilitarian blade. So may be used for tougher tasks where a locked blade gives peace of mind. Also easily unlocked. One blade can be opened one handed and closed one handed. That blade also has some belly to it. Simple ergonomic handle,though I would recommend grinding back the one arm blades "hook" a bit. I have used the little "screwdriver" protrusion for certain tasks,including as a scraper, paint can opener, and as a screwdriver. Lanyard hole if that appeals to you, I carry mine in the watch pocket and the lanyard makes drawing it out a snap. Available in bright colors as well as tough micarta. Reasonably easy to find at online retailers, and not at a hugely marked up price on the secondary market. Exceptionally well built.

Back