What is THE American Traditional knife to you

Bowie or Scagel for old school fixed, Randall model 1 or a Kabar for a modern fixed blade. Buck 110's a good choice for iconic folder, though I don't care for them much personally. Stockman or trapper for more traditional maybe, though as a kid I always had a jack of some kind in my pocket.

I'd have to vote ka-Bar and 110 as well, but, I still think this is a fine representation of a traditional "American" edged weapon. ;)

crossedswords.jpg

Texas/Arkansas Toothpick...Green River which was the Pairing/Skinner/Butcher....Folding Frontier Knife either the Folding Hunter/Stockman....Kentucky Rifleman Knife...American Blacksmith knives like the Roachbelly/Butcher/Belt knife/Patch.....Beavertail Daggers...Iconic Bowie

I can't think classic American without Buck 110 popping into my head first and foremost :)

Oddly I think the Trapper pattern is what I associate (as a non American)with American knife. Pioneership etc.

If you ask non knife people what they consider as an "american" knife that comes to mind.

Case or old timer.

If you ask non knife people what they consider as an "american" knife that comes to mind.

Case or old timer.

Couldnt agree more. In my part of the country it was always a stockman. The most desired was the Case. If it was too expensive it was the Old Timer. The Buck 110 is also popular, but that didt trally come about here (S.E. Missouri) until very late 70's or more so the early 80's.

Stockman was the first thought I had. It was the style of knife I grew up with, my grandfather and my father's preferred carry, and heavily used by them.

I don't think the Barlow originated in America but I sure have seen a lot of those in my days.

I've seen more Buck 110's than anything else.

The three blade stockman pattern is "the" American pocket knife to me. Even though it is not my favorite pattern, in my youth the pocket knife pretty much everyone had was a stockman. Other than trappers, I never remember seeing another pattern in my younger years. I had several stockman knives myself as a young man, then began to carry the Gerber Silver Knight series of gentlemans folders, mostly the single blade variety. The other pattern that I can remember as a young man was a Buck 110. Seemed like every deer hunter had one.

Ed J

The Trapper is a American original.. I believe Case sells more of that pattern than any thing else..

For me it is the Stockman.Case or Old Timer,I have always had at least 1 or more of each as long as I can remember

Back