What is THE American Traditional knife to you

I think of most of the knives previously mentioned when I think of the "American Knife". I'd say my first thoughts were the Barlow, because of Mark Twain's reference, and the Bowie, for obvious reasons.

I'm gonna toss in the Nessmuk fixed blade here also. This knife was a design or adaptation by George Washington Sears (pen name Nessmuk) sometime in the 1880s. His pen name was the name of an Indian lad he grew up with, that supposedly taught him to hunt, fish, and also Woodcrafting skills. There's not much more American then the American Indian.

For those of you not familiar with the knife, here's an example from Ariel Salaverria. I'm sure it's considerably fancier then what George Washington Sears carried, as he wandered the Adirondacks in Northern NY.

pnessmuk281.jpg

Hi guys!

In school we had to read Mark Twain´s "Tom Saywer". In English. It wasn´t easy for a 12 year old guy to understand that. But Tom reached a Barlow by his aunt Polly. That was my first thought, when I thought about. So far to folding knives...

The next, is what have in mind on the fixed blade area might be a mighty fighting knife. Here in Germany we saw GIs carrying big knives in several films. Definitely Ka-Bar (USMC) Fighting Knife. Or a Bowie styled knife we´ve seem at the age of six or seven year old lads in Karl May films "Winnetou".

That´s what about a foreigner has his first thoughts about "THE American Knife".

Kind regards
Andi

From the perspective of this Englishman, when i think of The American knife, i always think of a Stockman or a Trapper.

I was wondering if the Nessmuk was going to be mentioned. We were just talking about them last night at our Scout meeting.

I've lived within easy driving distance of the PA Grand Canyon (Pine Creek Gorge, Wellsboro PA) all my life and I heard stories about Nessmuk since I was a kid.

I'd sure love a Damascus, but the Condor version is more in my budget...

I think of most of the knives previously mentioned when I think of the "American Knife". I'd say my first thoughts were the Barlow, because of Mark Twain's reference, and the Bowie, for obvious reasons.

I'm gonna toss in the Nessmuk fixed blade here also. This knife was a design or adaptation by George Washington Sears (pen name Nessmuk) sometime in the 1880s. His pen name was the name of an Indian lad he grew up with, that supposedly taught him to hunt, fish, and also Woodcrafting skills. There's not much more American then the American Indian.

For those of you not familiar with the knife, here's an example from Ariel Salaverria. I'm sure it's considerably fancier then what George Washington Sears carried, as he wandered the Adirondacks in Northern NY.

pnessmuk281.jpg

I did not know that. Thanks!

The Bowie in a fixed blade. A nice big traditional stockman in a folder. - - The stockman reminds me of hardworking farmers and ranchers (and my background as a kid). I've got several Buck 110 knives, but they didnt come out till the 1960s - - so I don't consider that they have the history that I would associate with THE American knife.

I've felt that for the latter part of the 20TH century and beyond it was the yellow delrin Cases that were IMO the American knife particullarly the Stockmans, Trappers , and Sodbusters.

I think the non-Americans' input really counts for more here, as they know more how we are perceived outside of our own country.

Do folks outside the US still associate us mostly with Bowies, even though it has been a couple hundred years since they were really used? I've heard that we are thought of as cowboys, because of our "wild west" history 150 years ago, and because of our previous president's behavior and speech.

As for my impressions, I think mostly of a clip-point, fixed blade hunting knife, like the 6" Buck Special:
Buck119.jpg

My collecting started off with Western Cutlery wooden handled knives. Western's Bowie is a classic. I also have two other classics Buck 119 and 110.

I think Rugercat has been in a time warp. This is the second thread from 2012 he has reopened. Both on Bowie knives. Maybe he just has a fixation.

Maybe the bayonets from some of our main battle rifles like the M1 Grande or even our current M16 M4 Carbine, but of course my first thought was the Bowie Style of Knife.

First thing that popped in my head was a Bowie.

Closest thing I have a pic of at the moment.
IMG_5053_zps568dd9b5.jpg

Back