What is the "best" lightweight, folder ?

Oh yes and a Spyderco Military and Leatherman Super Tool. They will tame the savage beast!

Get a Gerber Axe as well!

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Folder - Spyderco Wegner

Fixed - Bob Dozier

Have fun and stay safe!

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

My vote goes to the Spyderco Wegner. I own the Police model, and its nice. Military is good, but the Wegner is better. I am an avid hunter, and it's blade shape looks good for skinning. I believe the Wegner is a good all around knife. (Now you got me thinking of buying one)

RattlerXX

If I were going on your trip I would want at least Two knives. One folder (as a back-up knife primarily), and one 3.5 to 4.5 inch fixed blade (for ready use on a belt sheath). I agree with the suggestions of the large Spyderco Wegner model for the folder. Bob Dozier's fixed blades are superb and relatively economical (around $150). You can look at Dozier knives at www.agrussell.com and www.knifeart.com

For under a hundred dollars, the smaller fixed blade knives from Fallkniven are hard to beat. Look at www.knifecenter.com for Fallkniven.

I am a fixed blade fan. I think for a dependable, strong, and lightweight knife, a fixed blade is superior to Any folder. But keeping a folding knife in in your pocket 'just in case' is also a good idea.

Have a great trip!
smile.gif

Paracelsus

[This message has been edited by Paracelsus (edited 01-04-2001).]

I forgot to say:

The "best" lightweight folder (IMO) is the small Spyderco Centofante with a 2 7/8 inch wharcliffe blade. It is, however, an 'office' carry knife, and is Not suitable for Alaskan Adventures. The Wegner designed knife is superior in that role
smile.gif

Paracelsus

[This message has been edited by Paracelsus (edited 01-05-2001).]

The carbon fiber M16 or Urban Shark from CRK&T are both very good and light weight.
The small Sebenza would be my overall choice if price was not a concern. This knife doesn't have that large a blade but is light. If blade size is more important take the large Sebenza.

[This message has been edited by Keith Montgomery (edited 01-05-2001).]

I'll have to agree with the Spyderco Wegner, but it would be in my backpack with a coldsteel SRK on my side. We are talking about Alaska. Two knives minimum.

Get plain edged Spyderco Endura. They are cheap enough that you won't have to worry about losing them and will serve your purpose very well. Try looking at the Knives for sale/trade indiv. forum here and I'll bet you'll find one really cheap.
Mykl

------------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Folder: I agree with most, anything by spyderco goes, but I would choose one less pointy, so you can do rougher work, if you make me pick one, I'd get the starmate. You can even make your food with it, and smear your toasts. Try that with a military!.

Did you ever tought about the spyderco Moran?
I know, it's fixed blade, but it was designed to do what you described, just as you describe it. It's a real bargain, and it's not too big.

greetz, Bart.

------------------
"If the world wouldn't SUCK, we'd all fall off !"

You can E-mail me at any time....guaranteed reply !

member of the BKS
http://www.expage.com/belgianknives

Hmmmm. Wonder what The Alaska Department of Fish and Game Hunter Information and Training Program has to say about a folder recommendation...

akfgletter.gif

There's light weight and then there is light weight. Skipping the really light weight folder of which I am shamefully unfamiliar, I will second, or third or otherwise echo the previous posts suggesting you get a Sebenza. As I hunter, I truly appreciate the blade shape of the Wenger, but do not like certain design aspects of the knife such as only one liner, relatively thin liner lock, clip placements, etc. (Many of these "features" lighten up the knife.) After the Sebenza, which is my first, if a bit pricey choice, I would look at the Al Mar SERE 2000 - what a rugged folder and bargain, IMO, for the price.

I assume that a multi-tool is going with you, because they are a given. A SAK should go in your pocket, just because. If sheeple and being PC is not an issue, I would go with a reasonable sized, relatively lightweight fixed blade. They are not that much larger than a folder and much better. Chris Reeve makes some nice 4" fixed blades that ride high in some really nice leather. Get one of those and a Spyderco Endura or Buck Oddysey as an "extra" knife for minimal cost.

A multi-tool, SAK and (let's say, for example) a CR Aviator would set you up for everything from making PBJ sandwiches to cutting through aluminum sheetmetal after (God forbid) a train wreck or plane crash.) You could make better choices for chopping firewood and blazing trails through the jungle, but these circimstances are highly unlikely on your trip and difficult for lightweight knives.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 01-06-2001).]

For a folder I first and foremost recommend the Spyderco Wegner. This is the knife I keep coming back to time and time again. It has served and continues to serve me well. I have found that the Wegner is the one folder that I must have above all others. I would also like to mention the Al Mar SERE 2000. Another excellent knife. A folder that I am surprised hasn't received much mention here is the Benchmade 710 axis lock. Another excellent knife.

If possible I would also carry a small fixed blade. Can't go wrong with something from the Fallkniven line, the Spyderco Moran, or maybe a campanion from Becker Knife and Tool.

I would recommend doing a search in the wilderness and survival forum. You may want to ask the question there if you havent already.

Tell us what you decide on and give us a review when you get back please.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

I've noticed a few people have suggested a Sebenza for a lightweight folder.

Does a Sebenza count as a lightweight folder?

I usually associate the term "lightweight" folders as an affordable, beater knife, under $100, typically made from Zytel; such as many models made by Spyderco, Cold Steel, and CRKT.

Have any of you guys who keep recommending full metal handle knives (like the Seb) ever handled a knife like that in Arctic weather conditions? Geezus.

I second the two blade idea - fixed and folding.

Dozier and Sebenza.

Have fun up there!

Steve-O

1) Benchmade 720 2) Large Sebenza 3) Spydie Wegner

I like the flat grind and axis lock of the BM 720. This is a very tough knife that will meet all your outdoor needs. Also, the blade design is excellent for meeting a wide variety of cutting chores. There's enough belly for skinning and a great tip for fine work (yet it's not too fragile).

http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/bm720b.jpg

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Spydie Wayne Goddard

------------------

have a"knife"day

Back