What is the most user friendly blade geometry for you?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by RedEdge77, Feb 12, 2010.

1. RedEdge77

RedEdge77

Jul 13, 2005
    Hi all, hope everyone is having a great day. Lately I have been thinking about the different style of blades you see and how well they cut compared to others. I'm not talking so much about the edge geometry (flat,convex,hollow,etc..) but more about the actual blade.

Over the years (all 20 of them:D) I have been lucky enough to use, at some point or another, many different patterns of blades. From sodbusters with their big belly and high tip, to whittlers and wharncliffs and everything between. As of right now the knife pattern I have been able to get the most use out of is the GEC toothpick with the high flat grind. For me personally this knife has trumped all other traditional patterns I have come across so far.

Don't really know what I was getting at with that but am just looking for opinions on what blade style you use and enjoy the most :)

2. kidwholaughs

kidwholaughs

Jan 17, 2004
    This really depends on the tasks that you plan to use it for.

For me, I like clip and modified drop point. They give the best belly and point combination.

God Bless

3. IVANKERLEY

IVANKERLEY

May 30, 2007
    lets see mine would be a toss up between the simple sodbuster (a wicked slicer) or the workhouse sheep foot blade on my stockmans, the sheep foot is my go to blade for just about everything, it's the most used blade on my knives:):thumbup:
    ivan

4. VCM3

VCM3 Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 26, 2005
    For me,its the modified wharncliffe
    [​IMG]

5. hogslayer

hogslayer

Oct 14, 2009
    my favorite is the sheep foot blade ,next I would have to say the droppoint

6. JTR357

JTR357 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    +1 :thumbup::eek: WOW!NICE!

[edit]
    My most user friendly is Drop point/FFG.

[edit again] I also really like wharncliffs

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  7. DennisStrickland

DennisStrickland Banned BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    my current favorite is the modified spear on the gec mdl23. strong & slides thru whatever medium i contact.resistance is minimal.

8. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I like drop points and flat grinds.

9. xbxb

xbxb Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I prefer a two blade knife --turkish clip on one end and carpenters blade on the other end.

10. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006
    Case make a nice hollow grind clip on their stockmans. I like a clip because I can use it to cut, and use it to scrape. Flat or hollow, I like both.

11. comoha

comoha

Jan 12, 2006
    Aesthetically I have always favored a clip point on folders and fixed, but for grunt work its hard to beat a sheepsfoot on a stockman.

12. Absintheur

Absintheur Banned by Moderators Banned

Jan 31, 2008
    I really like a spear point providing it does have a decent point on it but around the house I tend to keep one of the old Elk Horn Sharks close at hand. It's over sized coping style blade is very useful opening boxes and mail, cutting cord, trimming wood...just does an all around good job.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  13. BJE

BJE

Apr 12, 2006
    I like a conservative clip point. Spear points are nice also, but I prefer the piercing power of something like a peanut or small texas jack clip point.

14. dalee100

dalee100

Mar 15, 2008
    Hi,

I like a good clip point for most heavy work. And perhaps a bit differently than many here, I also like to use the spey blade on my stockmen and trappers. A good spey should be a thin, fine blade. Like the scalpel it's supposed to emulate. Great for slicing through surfaces and around curves.

dalee

15. YayILikePie

YayILikePie

Apr 19, 2007
    I love thin, Turkish clip point blades. Something about a thin, long, slender knife, especially if it's hollow ground. Haven't seen anything cut quite so well.

16. Rick

Rick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 1998
    This particular blade combo fits my current day-to-day cutting needs to a tee, as I tend to need a fine, easily-controlled X-acto-like point almost as often as I need an edge. The Wharnie's point is set low on the blade's axis, so it 'points' as naturally as a finger and always feels completely predictable. Both blades are ground nice and thin, and the small clip is all I usually need for fine slicing and carving duties. I keep my other EDCs in the rotation, of course, but if I had to choose one knife from a purely utilitarian standpoint, this would probably be it.

[​IMG]

17. SWATZO

SWATZO

Mar 1, 2008

18. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    Sheepsfoot as my go to working blade
    Easy to sharpen
    Easy to use as a working marking knife
    Cut small detail, paper, leather, and clam packs
    Skinning cable....

Any place you would use a box cutter the sheepsfoot does it better!!

[​IMG]

19. hunterfisher808

hunterfisher808 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2006
    +:thumbup:What Neeman said! Whenever I carry a stockman I find I use the sheepsfoot a lot for little odd jobs; cutting paper, tape, etc. For fruit any blade with more length will do, though I like a thin blade as they just slice a wholelot better.:D

20. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I spent so many years using a stockman that a flat-ground clip blade is ingrained into me as being the standard tool for all cutting jobs.

Like these:
    [​IMG]