What is the most user friendly blade geometry for you?

I love wharnnies and sheepfoot blades for almost everything, except for hunting. I like a little belly on my hunting knives.

fran2km9.jpg

I like a sharp clip point right on the axis of the blade. If I did more skinning, a drop point would be better. Hollow ground for general use , flat ground for heavy use. Convex edges are great, but I am not handy enough to produce a consistent edge. Also the necessary equipment for convex edge maintenance (slack belt grinder) is not very portable.

I carry mostly Stockmen and Whittlers for the variety and sharpen them for the particular tasks I like to use each blade for, so I guess maybe I'm a little spoiled on blade geometry :D

If I had to pick one style, I guess it would be a slim turkish clip. Nice long cutting edge, flattish but long belly profile and a great precise tip. And all in in what to my eye anyway, is an elegant, aesthetically pleasing shape. '

Syn

I prefer the flat ground clip points or sheepsfoot blades like on the Schrade 8OT or 34OT. I also like the hollow grind that Case puts on their knives. As much as I like my Buck 301, I think its saber ground blades hamper its cutting ability in the end.

Wharncliff flat ground and the beautiful hollow ground serpantine blades. The serpantine blade is my favorite for utility and I just like the shape that gives a nice pointed blade.

If I had one it would be the Norfolk pattern. But since I don't I am going with the Sheeps foot followed by the drop point.

Back