What is the most valuable info you have learned since acquiring your knife sickness??

I was just reading a thread where a new member introduced themselves and confessed their new 'addiction'. And lots of people were throwing out little tidbits of knowledge so I thought this might make a good thread topic.

So, is there anything you have learned along the way you find valuable? What you do or don't like in a knife? An accessory or way of carry? A sharpening technique? A way to get large amounts of cash to support your addiction? Etc, etc.

Whatever you're glad you know now and it can be one thing or ten and whatever you find helpful. Hopefully this will be educational and fun!

Regardless of what everybody else says about a knife, if it isn't for you, you don't "need" one.

The only way to truly find what you like is through personal experience which means buying knives and using them.

There is no "grail" knife that will end the search.
It never ends. :)

For me, I've learned I really only like modern folders and fixed blades and traditions folders go mainly unused. I also like a 4.5"-5" handle and don't carry much outside of that. I don't care for metal scales that much or frame/liner locks. I'm also a bit of a steel snob and like the harder and more carbide rich steels for the way they cut, the edge they hold, and the way they sharpen as they are more easy for me to sharpen than more simple steels with the right equipment.

On that last point, I've found a diamond loaded strop to be the most useful and best accessory purchase I've made. 1 micron diamond spray let's me strop a sharp edge to a tree topping sharp edge in a couple minutes. When a knife starts to not shave arm hair a little stropping on 1 micron diamond usually gets it where I can pick a hair and pop it off above the skin. If a little stropping isn't enough, usually some passes on a fine ceramic (Sharpmaker in my case) gets it back to shaving when pressed against the skin, and the strop then takes it to the next level. It makes my preferred razor sharp edge easy to keep up.

I'm a user more than a collector. Based on putting blade to task, here is what I've learned.

1. Complicated mechanisms break. Usually at the worst times. They are also hard to clean.
2. No lock, no matter what it is, is as strong as a fixed blade.
3. There is no one knife for all tasks.
4. Bigger is not always better.
5. Steel composition isn't as important as heat treatment.
6. Price does not always equate to quality.
7. Carbon steel is amazing.
8. Though useful, thumb studs get in the way.
9. Thinner blades are less robust, but cut quite a bit better than thick blades.
10. Practice safe cutting techniques. Permanent injuries or death are not unheard of when people do stupid stuff with knives.

Feel free to disagree. Everyone has different needs and opinions.

Im more of a collector, and have light EDC tasks for my knives
what Ive learned is that there is no such thing as a 50$ knife cuts as well as a 500$ (while they may cut and do the same) once you handle a 500$ you'll get what people who usually post this don't know
I also prefer quality over quantity, started out buying everything I saw, now I only buy what I really want

If you want a knife to actually work as...well, you know...a knife then it has got to cut. That means it's got to have good enough edge geometry to actually slice with some ease.

Sounds like a no-brainier...but some of the coolest-looking knives have blade shapes and grinds that make them useless for slicing. Most of us use knives for cutting, not stabbing, digging, or prying.

Beyond that, many knives are too big, too heavy, or too blocky for comfortable carry. That means they get left at home while the humble Delica is in their pocket. I don't bother owning knives I don't use.

And locks have to actually work, which means "keep the blade off your knuckles." I've had more than one folder (especially liner locks) that failed during relatively light use. It's a false sense of security. Might as well use a simple slip-joint and be careful.

I've learned the kinds of knives I like to carry. Now I am done learning. :)

1) Learning about the different blade steels. Who really cared before you really got into knives
2) Realizing that large fixed blade chopper's are just for show IMHO, it will not replace a small axe or hatchet with traditional vic pioneer. I tried to convince myself otherwise, just so I could justify buying big heavy fixed blades (i'm an addict). I really wanted to keep my scrapyard 1311 and Busse fbm, but enjoyed owning them for a bit
3) Do not trust a bar bouncer to hold your expensive folder going into bar, and then return it when you leave....he didn't
4) Do not pay more for a blade than it originally cost from the maker. Be patient and don't fall for after market hype, high demand and seller markup. It gets outrageous and is easy to get caught up in. The price will get back down or there will be a better blade out in the future that you can get before the hype. There are so many examples but I do not want to go there on a good thread like this.
5) Research and this forum is half the fun!

Last edited:
Don't fall into the instant gratification trap. It gets real expensive real fast. You usually end up overpaying or buying stuff you really don't like. Patience was an expensive lesson for me.

I have much to learn, but I have spent a few satisfying hours with an edge pro apex and have learned what sharp means

I'll share the one thing I share with people who come to me asking for a recommendation (I'm known at work, and by my family and friends as "the knife guy"). If you have say, $100, DO NOT BUY A $100 KNIFE. Buy a decent, say, $50/$60 knife and some sort of sharpening tool, and then git gud at sharpening. That should be a priority. THEN, I usually end up recommending several different knives that won't break the bank for the new person to use in order to get used to carrying/using knives. I usually go with knives from Cold Steel, the Ontario RAT series, various Bucks, Kershaws, that sort of thing.

It hasn't led me wrong yet, and I've actually several friends now with great knife collections as a result of me getting them started down the path.

It's not a sickness,it's healthy.Best info? I lack the vocalburary to spell out the joy bladeforums brings me.

To never, under any circumstances, let my live in girlfriend know how much I paid for a knife, any knife.

Back