What is the most valuable info you have learned since acquiring your knife sickness??

I've learned to ALWAYS ship knives in USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes, and to pay for all knives with PayPal Goods and Services.
There are thieves in this world, and these two reco's provide us some measure of protection.

Regardless of what everybody else says about a knife, if it isn't for you, you don't "need" one.

This is a great post. There is a fair bit of peer pressure here at times. It helps to realize it for what it is right at the start, and adjust your actions to it in the way you see fit.

Example, in one of my first threads here, I was asking for some help finding a knife to fit my needs. I was told that I should just buy a pm2 "now" because I'd end up with one anyway/soon enough, even though that was neither in my budget, nor my preferences.

It's been... 6 years now? Still don't own a pm2, or any other Spyderco for that matter.

I would also tell people that they don't need to purchase many knives to still be skillful with, knowledgeable about, and enjoy using them. I haven't bought myself a new knife in almost two years, but still enjoy reading/learning about them, using them, and contributing to this forum.

This is brilliant! It is also exactly my list with the addition of serrations look like crap after use and sharpening after a while and blade coatings start to wear off as soon as your first use.

Think twice buy once.

Avoid the impulse buys and save for "the one" that you've been obsessing over. Smaller purchases add up quickly.

Great advice! Knife show coming up and I need to take this advice.

If you like traditionals, you can minimize the cost over time with the impulse buys and still get good knives. Still adds up.

most valuable thing by far, is that you can just walk away from a knife, not look back, and not feel bad. :)

1. Never link a high limit credit card to your PayPal account.
2. Practice the following phrase to use on your spouse every time a new knife shows up in the mail "Oh Honey, it's just another little jack knife".
3. Buy what you like, not what people tell you you're supposed to like.
4. Sleep on any knife purchase over $100. Sleep twice on any knife purchase over $500. Get drunk before any knife purchase over $1000.
5. Carry and use your knives. There are no safe queens. Picture your wife handing over a safe full of pristine queens to her new husband after you've kicked the bucket.
6. If you want knife "X", don't waste your time and money compromising on knife ["Y" ~ ("X" - $)]. You'll still end up with "X" and "Y" and less $.
7. Learn how to maintain you knives. Tinkering and stropping is part of the fun.
8. Have fun because fun is the best thing to have.

Don't accept most of the technical "knowledge" from most people on this forum without having a good reason to listen. The more you know through first hand experience the more ludicrous and asinine a lot of it sounds.

Other than that, usually you will find more effective use out of thinner blades than you can comprehend right now. Doesn't matter the steel. Unless you absolutely need a big honking prybar go for as thin as you can get within reason. With a little bit of experience you'll learn what that is. You almost most definitely DON'T need any kind of folding knife designated as "hard use" unless you simply want that type of knife for no genuine reason and just want it for the sake of wanting it.

And arm hair shaving should be the bare (no pun intended) minimum for sharpness. Like you were just feeling lazy when you sharpened that day. When you get to that point you can really start assessing steels. If you keep them less than that who cares about steels. Buy a cold Steel in AUS8 or a Spyderco tenacious or Ontario rat or Kershaw blur and call it good. When you can really sharpen and maintain your stuff then go into the higher end stuff where you can make informed decisions that YOU know will work for you.

And you'll find yourself coming to this forum for a lot of knife knowledge. Don't let the trolls and rabid fanboys dissuade you from coming here. There are a lot of good people willing to help minus those guys.

:rolleyes:

Another pro-tip: don't accept ANY technical "knowledge" from bodog.

One is never too old to learn something new about knives, sharpening, steels, etc. Lots of fantastic advice on this forum.

And a knife that won't take a keen edge, doesn't fit your hand, or is too precious to use is a waste of time

1. How to sharpen. I'm no expert, but I've had just as much fun going down the sharpening rabbit hole as collecting knives.
2. 3 words...Wiha torx bits.

Either:

1) Buy a knife because you think its the sexiest thing ever; or
2) Buy a knife because you have thought about what you want to do with it, the knife is designed to do that, and you understand how the knife is designed to do that.

But don't confuse the two, or kid yourself one is the other. That's a waste of time and money.

Learn at least a little bit about your local laws regarding carrying a knife. While many of us regard them as tools or toys, those around you may not see it the same way.

Figure out what you want a knife for, buy the ones you like that fulfill those needs, and learn how to maintain them so they're always ready when you need them.

And most importantly, have fun learning about and using them. :)

I like fixed blade knives the most. It is what I usually EDC on belt or neck knife. I've carried knives for over 40 years now. However, I'm still somewhat new to the "addiction". In this short time I have learned inexpensive and/or "made in China" knives are usually cheaply made and generally a crap shoot (on a losing streak) to get a good one.

If you are not going to buy a very expensive custom made knife and sheath, then: Find and buy the knife you like. Usually the sheath is secondary to manufacturers (if they are concerned with it at all), so plan to get a better one. Sometimes it may even require replacing scales to get good feel on otherwise good knife you like. Occasionally you get lucky and your knife is perfect as you bought it, and there is not a lot of cost. Often the opposite is true.

It's pointless to buy knife and because of disappointment in sheath, scales, or something else - it ends up unused in a storage box. That is waste of money, and someone else may enjoy what was your disappointment. Do whatever it takes to make the knife what you want it to be. Or get rid of it and then work on getting one you do like even if it takes some modifications. Whatever knife you like and use, make it yours. Whatever it takes to get it there. Then use and enjoy.

Don't accept most of the technical "knowledge" from most people on this forum without having a good reason to listen. The more you know through first hand experience the more ludicrous and asinine a lot of it sounds.

Other than that, usually you will find more effective use out of thinner blades than you can comprehend right now. Doesn't matter the steel. Unless you absolutely need a big honking prybar go for as thin as you can get within reason. With a little bit of experience you'll learn what that is. You almost most definitely DON'T need any kind of folding knife designated as "hard use" unless you simply want that type of knife for no genuine reason and just want it for the sake of wanting it.

And arm hair shaving should be the bare (no pun intended) minimum for sharpness. Like you were just feeling lazy when you sharpened that day. When you get to that point you can really start assessing steels. If you keep them less than that who cares about steels. Buy a cold Steel in AUS8 or a Spyderco tenacious or Ontario rat or Kershaw blur and call it good. When you can really sharpen and maintain your stuff then go into the higher end stuff where you can make informed decisions that YOU know will work for you.

And you'll find yourself coming to this forum for a lot of knife knowledge. Don't let the trolls and rabid fanboys dissuade you from coming here. There are a lot of good people willing to help minus those guys.

Not sure how being critical of BFC and other members become the topic here. :confused: The topic is a good enough one on its own.

Either:

1) Buy a knife because you think its the sexiest thing ever; or
2) Buy a knife because you have thought about what you want to do with it, the knife is designed to do that, and you understand how the knife is designed to do that.

But don't confuse the two, or kid yourself one is the other. That's a waste of time and money.

Ah....but the two don't need to be mutually exclusive! I'll add a third:

3) If both 1 and 2 are satisfied then buy the knife immediately!

How about even an example:

1) Yes! Sexiest fixed blade I have ever seen (not even sure if a knife can be sexy but it is the best looking fixed blade I have ever seen).
2) I thought about it for a for a while and did my research. The knife is designed to smash stuff. It smashes stuff good since it is a big hunk of INFI!
3) Both 1 and 2 are satisfied so I bought it!

SLYp14Sh.jpg

2UC3llgh.jpg

Back