1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is this thing used for?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Boston_Strong, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Boston_Strong

Boston_Strong

Jul 7, 2016
    I was watching forged in fire the other day and one of the makers had a grinder at his home shop with a giant contact wheel (I would guess at least 24 inches) and I was wondering what is the purpose of such a large contact wheel?

Here's a pic for reference
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Frank Niro

Frank Niro

Sep 10, 2000
    It's use is as you see it. I'm not being nasty. It's a grinder that will do a hollow grind but a shallow one. They seem to becoming more popular in recent years.
    Frank

3. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I want one. Mostly because I think hollow grinding is easier than flat bevel grinding free hand. More points of contact or whatever you want to call it, when I hollow grind free hand it's just easier to get into and stay true to the wheel than it is on the flat platen for me.

But if I have to "walk the grind up" on my 12" wheel because it's not giving me the bevel height I want that goes right out the window and I may as well have flat ground it. So I'd love to have an 18 or 20" wheel because you can make short bevels with a big wheel without changing the radius, but you can't make tall bevels with a small wheel unless you open the radius up.

Beanman13 likes this.
  4. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    That is a Burr King 2 x 72 belt grinder with a 20 inch wheel. It is made for knife making for those who want a very shallow hollow grind. Only flaw is that it doesn't have a work rest, probably wouldn't be hard to add however.

Hoss

5. Kentucky

Kentucky KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Dec 13, 2008
    A maker I know has one to do pocket knife blades on..He loves it and it does a very nice shallow grind perfect for pocket knives.

6. Boston_Strong

Boston_Strong

Jul 7, 2016
    Thanks for the info guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Hesparus

Hesparus

Oct 31, 2004
    Those also mimic the large water stones that Japanese knifemakers often use. To this end, they are also great for grinding urasaki on single-bevel Japanese knives.

- Chris

8. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
  9. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    Damn, everything about that grinder makes me feel inadequate. Haha. That's awesome.

10. redbate

redbate

Sep 20, 2015
    You can also get radiused platens as well, I've seen them go up to 72 inches radius.

11. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    72 inch DIAMETER which is a 36 inch radius. That 20 inch wheel would have a 10 inch radius. Nathan made the platens in 36,48 and 72. I have a 36 and 72, both which are very good for doing curved clip points. IMO the 72 probably best simulates the huge old grinding wheels that you used to see in places like Solingen.

12. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeap, the big wheel merges the fullness of a flat grind with the crisp lines of an hollow grind

13. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    Murray Carter has a Hardcore grinder with a 20" wheel that he runs in reverse, like his Japanese water stone. I think wheels are more efficient at removing material and belts last longer.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Tony Bose had Bur King make the first, then they added it to their line up.

I do some hollow grinding with a 14" wheel, but a 20 is a hell of a lot bigger. I might get one.

Tom McGinnis in the photo above has a knife making school & is a Bur King dealer in Ozark Mo. Good dude!

15. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes! That is true.

16. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
  17. andrewh2011

andrewh2011 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 6, 2014
    I want to switch over to hollow grinding most of my knives when upgrade my grinder i probably wont even buy a flat platen at first. Between belt life and the fact hollow grind are more astheticly pleasing (to me, unless its a big nick wheeler style bowie) If i need flat i have my 2x42 in reserve.

18. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    And the reason for that is the rubber under the wheels ........ ? I felt the same in my new disc sander in which I glue 3mm rubber on disk ....

19. Don Hanson III

Oct 3, 2002
    The rubber plays a part, but more the fact that the wheel rolls with the belt.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Basic Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've seen a homemade 24" wheel.