What is your favorite color G-10

ElConquistador

Gold Member
I'm buying a XM-18 3.5 later this year, this will be my first/last/only Hinderer, I plan on carrying it until I retire or lose it. If you only had one, and if it was a user what color G-10 scale would you get?

Chances are I'll just get plain old black, you can't go wrong with black. I also like the orange, I think orange would look good as it gets worn/dirty. OD green would be third on the list at this point. Brown is out because it would look too much like a Kershaw 0561.

To me the 0561s brown G-10 looks plasticy. Is the Hinderer G-10 plasticy like Kershaw or more rough/porous like a Para 2.

So which one would you get? Which one will still look good after 15 years of use?

My 3.5 has a pond scum scale, and I love it.
Both my 3s have a black scale and they are both timeless.
You really can't go wrong.

Orange is still one of my favorite G-10 colors for a Hinderer XM, next favorite would be black, blue/black, OD green, Flat Dark Earth. Hopefully by end of the year there will be full titanium scales for the Gen.4 3.5's, in the meanwhile I have carbon fiber on some of the special ones.

Blue black is great.

Maybe I should become an EMT just to be able
To order one direct.

I have all black scales now but plan on buying a pond scum and a blue black. Anyone encounter ANY problems taking off the scale that Rick put on and replacing it with another one? Speak up if you have plz. :)

My favorites are Black - Orange - Blue/Black and what has been referred to as Pond Scum.

IF I was using EDC on Active Duty of any sort (Military or First Responder) and could have one - it would be Orange.

If I could only have one and it was my general EDC it would be - Black. Black looks great in contrast to the hardware. It looks great all the time, shows little or no wear.
Camaro is Black and my (ordered) Toyota 4Runner Limited is Black/Black.

I find I like to mix it up a bit. Orange on one may look "right" while black or FDE might look "right" on another in my eye.

My EDC 3.5 went from texture carbon from new to pond scum to blue/black and now back to pond. My EDC 24 is textured bronze Ti and will stay that way.

A few G10 photos I've posted before.

photo-165.jpg

photo-68.jpg

photo-24.jpg

image-78.jpg

I'm buying a XM-18 3.5 later this year, this will be my first/last/only Hinderer, I plan on carrying it until I retire or lose it. If you only had one, and if it was a user what color G-10 scale would you get?

Chances are I'll just get plain old black, you can't go wrong with black. I also like the orange, I think orange would look good as it gets worn/dirty. OD green would be third on the list at this point. Brown is out because it would look too much like a Kershaw 0561.

To me the 0561s brown G-10 looks plasticy. Is the Hinderer G-10 plasticy like Kershaw or more rough/porous like a Para 2.

So which one would you get? Which one will still look good after 15 years of use?

I forgot to mention the obvious, ONE of the Great things about your Hinerer XM - One knife NOT one look (as N2K alludeds to in his great pics.
Get the knife and then as the years roll by....get different scales/different adornments to include lanyards and Steel Flame accessories.
ALL giving you a different look and feel keeping the love alive.
Good stuff, check it out.
http://www.rickhindererknives.com/rick-hinderer-store/gear/steel-flame.html

I own an orange, a flat dark earth and a translucent green one. They are nice, yet I think that the hue of the orange and the brown (dark earth) could be improved. Call me picky.

My favorite right now is the textured Carbon Fiber scale.

Get all the scales you mentioned and try them out? I love blue black and red... the beauty of the scales is you can have multiples for very cheap, and they are easy to buy/sell/ and trade. Have fun!

I just received a shipping notice on my XM -18 3". I ordered it 3 weeks ago requesting blue/black as first choice and flat dark earth as second. At the time I placed the order the blue/black was not available but I requested it anyway in hopes that it would become available at the time the knife was ready to be mailed to me. I didn't receive any specific information with my shipping notice so I'm hoping it'll come with the blue/black scale when it arrives in a few days. I don't expect it will though but I'm just thankful I was able to get an XM-18 3" no matter what color scale it comes with.

Edit: Received the knife today with the blue/black scale!

Last edited:
Back