What is your most expensive user slippie?

My most expensive user slipjoint is

• $1-$50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50-$200

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • $200-$500

• $500-$1000

• $1000+

• Total voters

on_the_edge

Gold Member
I am just trying to get the lay of the land here. Ok, ok...maybe I am also trying to work up the courage to use my most expensive slippie as well.

Anyway, the poll is anonymous (folks cannot see who said what), so please take a moment. If you want to specifically name your most expensive user*, or even say how much it is, then feel free to do so by replying in this thread.

*For purposes of this poll, a user is a knife that you actually use and sharpen, NOT just a knife that you carry! ;)

DSCF1109.jpg

$400 Ken Coats jack.

Categories seem a little too broad at the lower end. I carry a $55 Case G10 Mini-Trapper, which is just barely into the $50-200 category, and right now I wouldn't dream of using a slippie that cost over $85. The $30-$60 range is where I expect to stay for a while, lots of good choices right around there.

A case, Tony Bose Dogs Leg, which cost me $200 U.S, which at that stage was nearly $290 N.Z in total, the only thing was..the spring was broken after I carried it a few times, and the lightest cutting, and careful handling, so...so far, my most expensive slippie, has been my biggest dissapointment...Case and I are working on this right now.
My fixed blades have been far more costly to this date.

I have purchased a few moderately expensive (to me) slippies and yes I use them. I think so far my most is a $90 Yellow Rose Furtaker Trapper from GEC, next up is a Stag Conductor that should be here Monday ($85), and last but not least my DB Small Barlow ($70ish I think). I did pick up an Ebony Conductor the other week at $69 but I have put that one away for the boy when he gets old enough. Yes his first nice slippie will be a GEC I am thinking about HS graduation its only 18 years out. ;) Going to sharpen it up wipe it down and put it in the safe for him. I will let him oogle my stag for a while. I can see a few more "expensive" ones down the road but not right now. Campbell don't get me started on FBs and some other folders I have acquired.

I carry (have in on me right now) a #36 GEC Northfield in stag quite a bit. I think I paid $130 for it or so which makes it the most expensive pocket knife I have ever purchased.

The nice polished blades are now all scratched up from sharpening and use and have a uneven patina from cutting who knows what.

It is a knife - and a knife this nice just screams to be used.

gec #25 easy open jack.. It is babied in a leather pouch though but a user non the less. i paid 89$ american elk handle

Mine is around $180 what a Great Eastern Cutlery #23 costs in here after taxes. But you gotta love it. 2nd most expensive albeit for lighter work is my GEC 4 blade congress serialized in blood red bone. Cost me around $124

After reading the poll and thinking about the literal interpretation of the question I have to answer with the TLAR sodbuster because it is a user, but I do pick and choose what I use it for and when and where I am going to carry it. It is my nicest knife and I'm not willing yet to take it on any risky adventures. Many of my regular users fall into the under $50 range and several more fall into the lower part of the $50-$200 range. I answered with the middle range because the sodbuster was purchased as a user and does get used and is my most expensive user.

Ed J

I agree the $50-$200 category is a bit broad. My current EDC barely squeaks into the category, and I doubt I'd buy one much over $100. I don't collect, so I only buy knives I'd carry.

My vote puts me on the higher end of the poll. Just to clarify; I use the knives I carry. I don't use them hard (most of mine aren't intended for hard use) or abuse them.

My most expensive user slipjoint is an $87 GEC Calf Roper that I recently aquired. Before I got it my $82 Schatt & Morgan Railsplitter was the top dog.

The most expensinve slipjoint that I own is a 1994 Case Classic Stag Whittler costing around $200 but I don't carry it.

I have carried, used, and sharpened a $400 knife in the past but it was not a slipjoint.

I find that for a user knife, I am the most content with something under $100 although it took some trial and error to arrive at that conclusion.

Right now its a Menefee Back Pocket I paid in the $260-270 range for.

Case Tony Bose 2004 Muskrat. Typical street (aka eBay) value about $200-230, but I got a smoking deal on mine. 2nd most would be the GEC #62 Courthouse whittler at about $100 that I haven't actually gotten in the mail yet.

I carry a variety of S&M and GEC folders which are valued at $80 - $120. I also carry a variety of RR at $7 - $14.

I guess I just like variety!

Northfield Dogleg Jack, Ebony, about $80.00 is the most I spent on a new production knife. I've paid around $150.00 to $175.00 for some vintage knives.

Interesting responses, and I guess not what I was expecting. I thought there would be a few more users on the very high end.

I have such a knife that I am struggling with in terms of deciding whether to use it or not. Obviously, I would not be rough with it, but I am still somewhat reluctant only because then it is "used". I have no plans to sell it (at least any time in the next few years), but I wonder about "what ifs" for the long term. But I also like to have only users, and so that pushes me towards making it one. I know--it's a struggle many of us face.

Back