What is your opinion on the "R"?

Folks, I saw the picture of this blade on the onestopknifeshop. Really awesome!
biggrin.gif
You guys think this knife would outdo the "Q"?

------------------
stilltryintokeepitsharp!

I think its a great letter, and others must do also look how many times it gets picked on wheel of fortune!

Hmmm... Its a bit pricey
eek.gif
Would you guys use it to cut? Or have it locked up in your knife chest and admire it everytime to get home from work?
wink.gif

------------------
stilltryintokeepitsharp!

I've got a Q
Love the look and art of the cutout blade.
Used it to cut a couple times.
Not a fav for utility, all those edges get caught on hard material as the blade tries to pass thru.

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

Chinook
biggrin.gif
I purchased my "Q" last month. Really nippy blade. Love the intricately designed handle, clip and blade!
cool.gif

------------------
stilltryintokeepitsharp!

I love my Q - but the clip is somewhat under the regular Spyderco quality..

The R looks GR8 - but somewhat expensive.

I'll wait for the discount versions...

Discount version?
confused.gif
Sounds interesting, care to elaborate a bit on that?

------------------
stilltryintokeepitsharp!

Speaking of the "R", anyone know what the weight of that knife is supposed to be? I saw one site had it listed as eight grams (which is way off, I know).

A friend just purchased one ($120 plus s/h), but it's a unique and beautiful knife. It's also quite sharp.

However, to me, it's more of a collectors' item than a utilitarian knife. I'm still very impressed.

RacerX - Hello there! You making any plans to aquire the "R"? I read on the specs that the handle material is made of aluminium. Sounds tough but I'm yet to see one in this region... I guess you are right about the piece being a collector's piece!
wink.gif

------------------
stilltryintokeepitsharp!

wink.gif
Now, that IS sound advice!

------------------
stilltryintokeepitsharp!

I`ve got a serr. R, cool factor is off the scale!! Very light but does tend to pick up pocket lint and dust through all the cut outs.I would not reccomend it for a hard use knife but its great for casual carry. Buy and enjoy!!
smile.gif

It's a great letter / box opener - just don't use it for prying. Personally, I feel it's one of the coolest knives that Spyderco has put out - if I had one, I'd carry it daily. I've actually been contemplating getting one for daily carry specifically due to the light weight and cool factor. I'd get the plain edge model as I don't like fully serrated knives. I don't remember if there is a partially serrated model or not, but I still prefer the looks of the plain edge model over the others.

The knife is a winner IMHO. I thought that it had been discontinued though, does anyone know if that's true?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

[This message has been edited by Spark (edited 07-20-2000).]

Hmm... I like the sound of "Q" better than "R". And I have Spydie #3 coming soon, as soon as I pay off my credit card bill(or at least put some room on it - it's maxed out) I'll have a flag-model Q on the way from Ironstone. Not sure if it's serrated or not, and since it's the last one they have I'm not going to be picky! I don't think I'll bother with the R unless they come out with some interesting pattern in it. I don't care much for the spider(spyder?) in the middle. The one on the handle of the Native, OTOH... That'll probably be #4 in my collection(either that or a Police or Military. So many knives, so little money!!).

------------------
John Rollins Jr KD7BCY
http://jrollins.tripod.com/
http://www.geocities.com/jrollins.geo/

Hmmm you think "Q" sounds better? Yeeeah, well, it does sound "SOLID" and I'd really wonder if the there are any other suitable alphabets which suits the name best. Whatabout "Q2"? If Spyderco ever produces a skeletal knife after the "R", I'd lay my hands on an automatic opening "S" or "T" or something like that...
biggrin.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...

The "R" is a far bigger knife than the "Q". The now discontinued "R" is indeed a very attractive knife. I couldn't believe how light it is, relative to its size.

I've found one, and am thinking about getting it. To me, it's a lot more impressive knife, due to its size and weight, than the "Q". (I've also got a couple of smaller Spydercos anyway.)

Back