1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What kind of folder do you carry?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Jan 11, 2017.

1. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    I am sure there are a lot of people out there that are looking forward to the CPK folder.

While I think most of us are here because of a common interest in Nathan & Jo's work, and Lorien's designs of course, I think some of us might be wildly divergent on what kind of folders we carry.

So what do you EDC? Pics always help!

This may prove useful to Nathan & Lorien in that they might be able to get a feel for what is popular among us, but I suspect they already have something in mind.

2. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    It's been a PM2 for awhile, but this one specifically since it was released.

[​IMG]

3. jimmay

jimmay

May 27, 2011
    I am currently carrying a Kizer Ophid. S35VN blade, g10 scales and paid somewhere around $100 for it. I like the blade shape as it is wonderful for stripping wire and cutting through boxes. I honestly believe they are some of the most under rated, semi unknown knives out there. The only reason I say semi unknown is that I never heard of them til I joined BF.

4. betzner

betzner Home To Morro Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    I have two folders that get carried. One is a Wm Henry T12-CF.1.6 oz, carbon fibre slabs, will try and find a pic.

The other is a Bingalor, made by Bing Bingenheimer, Koa slabs, zirconium bolsters and clip, design by Lorien. Pics attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Georgecatl

Georgecatl Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    [​IMG]

Today........these two. The Benchmade gets beat on a lot. The Beer Scout.........well, because I needed a beer :D

6. ExtraBaconPlease

ExtraBaconPlease Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2016
    I don't carry a folder anymore but when I did, the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 was perfection for me.

7. Ian80

Ian80 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 12, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Got this today, new Para 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    I am surprised how many Spyderco are showing up.

I have a PM2 sprint run in CTS-20CP with a Lynch northwest clip, but it never sees pocket time.

9. PharetH

PharetH Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Benchmade Volli

[​IMG]

10. uGAshooter

uGAshooter Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Mini griptilian at all times.

11. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Today! Tomorrow.......?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I currently carry a Spyderco Techno I picked up in trade for some handle work, and have come to decide that I both really like it, and want something a little different. It is one stout little knife, but a bit stubby. Next up on my must-have list is a ZT, or if I can swing it, a Hinderer.

13. Musashidin

Musashidin Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Depends on the occasion but here are my main two.

[​IMG]

CRK Mnandi
    Spyderco Sage 5

(Edited: Uploaded images to external website)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  14. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    I carry a David Boye folder reground by Tom Krein with a cast colbalt blade and a Leatherman Micra.

15. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    right again!

16. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Always curious about that dendritic cobalt but never given it a try. I am not surprised to see something unusual from you. :)

17. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Change the scales - you may be surprised at the transformation.

My ZT0550 (gen1) has reclaimed my pocket since it was revitalized with a copper scale; but I often carry a bocote scaled S110v PM2 in my jacket pocket. (If the PM2 ends up in my pants pocket, the ZT0200kw is in the jacket).
    I generally carry a traditional in my left font pocket - usually a GEC 77 or 92; but, once in a while, I slip a 15, 55, or 47 in there.

18. coiledwire

coiledwire Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2013
    I've shared some of the spydercos that I enjoy in the "what other knives do you like" thread. They are undoubtedly great tools.

[​IMG]

I also very much appreciate a nice traditional knife. I'm very fond of the GEC 77 (single blade) pattern.

[​IMG]

However, in context of what I would love to see in a CPK folder, is not a spyderco. What I really hope to see is an American made version of a Shirogorov.

Below is my 95R. It's a beautiful, purposeful, lightweight knife for its size. It's a great piece of engineering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  19. Ta2ude

Ta2ude Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 7, 2012
    I switch my carry rotation between 2 of these at all times but the Silent Soldier hasn't left my pocket since I got it a few months ago. I also have a partially serrated Manix 2 that goes to work with me everyday and is my "beater" knife.

[​IMG]

20. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Ha! Ive carried it for over 10 years and it's awesome. Tom did a full-height flat-grind to .008" on the edge before sharpening and it cuts like a laser.

Zytel handle, 304 stainless pins, spring/lock, and clip....no magnetic signature and totally rust-proof, not rust-resistant.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017