What kind of hat do you guys wear ?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Hickory n steel, May 9, 2016.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I've been wearing the same hat every single day since I was 12, it was my dad's old army hat from the mid 80's ( a woodland camo cold cold weather patrol cap )
    But it was falling apart and it probably only had about another year or less left in it.
    Luckily while browsing my local army surplus store this sunday I finally found a replacement and it was only 5$. It's not identical as the old one originally ( whatever was in there basically just rotted out ) had a semi rigid boony style bill and the new one is a hard bill but it's close enough.
    [​IMG]

It used to look like the new one on the right.
    There was some sentimental attachment to the hat, but mostly it was just the perfect hat.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Baseball caps.

My favorite was from Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC).

[​IMG]

I lost that hat in Afghanistan and replaced it with a new favorite from Bagram.

[​IMG]

Last week this was delivered from backorder. It too will too become a favorite. I'll wear the Bagram or NPS Centennial hats most days,

[​IMG]

3. CSTLandscapes

CSTLandscapes

Jan 8, 2015
    Tillys when out working

mnblade likes this.
  4. Ferahgo

Ferahgo

Mar 6, 2014
    I wear my slouch hat when reenacting :D

5. Inebriated

Inebriated

Jul 5, 2012
    Tractor Supply hats are my work hats. $5, comfortable fit, durable... This style. Current one is a brown mesh/camo front.

I also wear various hats from BCM, LaRue, and some local breweries.

indawire and GB940Rookie like this.
  6. Col Defender

Col Defender

Nov 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

Well here's the latest, but I may need to switch to a straw version soon.:)

7. mwerner

mwerner

Apr 23, 2002
    I always considered hats not as a fashion statement but as a protective device. If there's nothing to be protected from...I don't wear one.
    My favorite winter hat is a rather loose, insulated "watch cap" which I wear pretty religiously both at work and not.
    Loose enough to haul over my old ears when it's windy.
    In the Summer, when we're at a festival or something that requires sun protection, I'll go with a wide-brimmed straw...Like a Panama.

8. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

6 days out of 7, work hat. trucker style. my one day off, either the same, a Royals cap, or my marine bucket hat.

didn't serve, was a gift from my little brother who is enlisted.

9. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Well my replacement hat is starting to break in some, and now I just need to get used to it.
    Hopefully this hat last as long as the first one. ( I wore it all day every day for 9yrs )
    I think the old one was 7-1/4 as its just a little bigger than the new one which is 7-1/8.

10. wazu013

wazu013

Dec 14, 2011
    It's hot and humid where I live so I generally wear a Browning straw hat with a Repel-Tex brim. I'm to lazy to get up and take a pic so here's one from the place I buy them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  11. Wheeler80

Wheeler80

Nov 12, 2013
    Depends on the weather and what I'm doing. Usually one of many ballcaps but I have a few wide brim hats I wear often.

12. Yar

Yar

Jul 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Minnesota Man likes this.
  13. MIGUY

MIGUY

Jun 27, 2014
    I have a variety of ball caps I like to wear, have a dedicated work one (lawn car/landscaping gets them extremely dirty/worn in about a year, so I replace that one each spring, usually with a freebie I pick up at an expo) and then a variety for off work. I like ball caps cause they keep the sun out of my eyes, rain off my face/ears (I wear hearing aids, was born with a 50% hearing loss, and the caps cover my ears enough to help) and they also work as a bit of a sweat band on my head to keep that from dropping down my face in the hotter months. I also have a dark gray leather Panama style hat that I wear to dressier occasions if the weather is crummy (rain/snow).

14. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I've been wearing this one when its not being "borrowed".

[​IMG]

15. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Under armor baseball hat.

16. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    The most versatile one I own is a felt ball cap with fold down ears. Lightly insulated and paired with a hood it'll cover a wide temperature range. Cap keeps the sun, snow and rain out of my eyes. Works with earmuffs.

The one that gets the most attention is a Ushanka. :D

17. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I prefer baseball style caps. I just don't think I look good in any other kind of hat.

As a bald guy, I probably should wear a hat more often. But I sweat through them and ruin them after only a couple wearings so usually I just slap on some sunscreen. If I'm working in the yard, I'll tie on a bandanna. If its raining I've got a dri joy golf cap.

In the winter, I'll wear a fleece skullcap or a regular old toque.

18. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    That's one of the things I love about the GI cold weather patrol cap ( class one, not extreme cold version )
    It's got the flaps for in the Winter.
    I also love the fact that it's a very flexible form.
    I wear the same hat every single day, but I do have a few other hats that I wear while doing yard work. One is a large brim camo afari type hat ( the kind where you can fold the sides up and snap them in place ), and the other is my grandpa's Stetson straw hat which I love because it breaths so well.

19. pertinux

pertinux Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    What a great hat!

What is it?

~ P.