What knife do you surprisingly love?

Just like Glocks I hated the idea of Spyderco. Seemed to have the same sort of following in my area. After seeing a program interviewing the founder I unfortunately judged him with a womans eyes and he sort of gave me the creeps. Sort of the Uncle No Pockets sort.... Cannot explain why, just did. I really wanted to dislike Spyderco in every way.

I now have 4 and find them quite useful. The Para 2 probably being my favorite from the company.

I normally prefer knives in the 3" blade range, but I made a trade and got a zt 0456. It's chunky and heavy and I absolutely love to carry it.

Al Mar Sere 2K. From the pictures I thought I would hate it. It looked like a little, dorky "Peter pan" blade with a handle too large for the blade, in pictures.

Got one in a great trade and carried it almost 20 years straight. In fact, I sold off almost all of my similar folders. Nothing could kick the thing out of my pocket.

None. I don't even know how I would come across a knife that I didn't have some positive interest in to begin with, let alone use enough to come to love it. I don't bother trying out knives that I don't think I'll like.

Last edited:
That's a tough question, because if I didn't think I'd like it, I wouldn't have bought it. :confused:

The word "love" might be a bit strong, but I've grown to very much like the Urban Regulator by Scrapyard. Typically I've used my Basic 9 for just about everything you can think of, then got my hands on an ASHBM which just about spoiled me. What a knife!

Then here comes the Regulator, which (for me) seems to be quite an amazing all-rounder. It features a strong but very keen point, is heavy enough for some decent chopping, and the handle seems very secure and comfortable. The thick blade is likely to hold up if I did have to baton with it. It has the bowie style blade which I fell in love with way back in the day. But the handle is always a pleasure to hold, and it fits me right. This might be the reason I like using the tool so much...

And sharpening...this thing is a breeze to sharpen and holds a great edge. Plus I just like the looks of the knife. Maybe I am easy to please, but the Regulator seems to be just about the right fit for me with respect to a multi-purpose survival knife. I seriously like it!

Love isn't the right word, earned my respect is more like it. And that knife is the Cold Steel Kudo, picked one up on a whim for $5 and it gets abused badly at work but still locks up tight and zero blade play. Bought another for $5 the hen the price dropped down that low but before it arrived a coworker was interested in my Kudo so I sold it to him at cost.

Can't comment on edge retention, but I use it for abusive work like cutting large bags of rocks and will jab the knife in it and start cutting. Edge will get ruined after this of course but not once did it ever chip, nor have I bent or damaged the tip in anyway. All it ever needs is a quick touch up and to be hosed out when I get it exceptionally dirty and it's chugging along perfectly happy. I'm pretty sure at this point I the thing more than they have in those cold steel videos.

this type. had one for nearly 20 years now. it's still the strongest locking knife i have.

1492146114_43_3.jpg

I took a chance on a Svord Peasant and a Mini Peasant (purchased both together sight unseen). I was not sure I'd like them, but figured I'd give them away as gifts if they weren't for me. My biggest concern was that they're friction folders, but they're really quite secure when opened and in hand. I often carry the smaller peasant at work and the full sized Peasant is a great user for tasks that I will not use my other (nicer) knives for. They're razor sharp, light weight, simple, great value blades and I was surprised to find that I want one in my pocket constantly.
IMG-5303.jpg

When it comes to modern knives there are things I don't like, period. Holes in a blade, finger choils on the blade, flippers, assisted, thick blade stock, saber grinds, heavy built bricks, thumb studs to far forward. Check one of those boxes and it's a deal breaker.

Early this year I was at Cabellas just looking at any and every thing and stoped at the knife counter. A conversation started about likes and dislikes. The salesman was handing me this and that and I would reject them. When the subject of steel came up he handed me a Benchmade 490 Arcane. I looked at it rejected it after all it was an assisted flipper, that's two checks in the no go boxes. I didn't hand it back. but started giving it a closer examination. I didn't care for the flipper but I started opening it two handed, the spring didn't over power the blade and drive it into the palm of your hand.

More time passes, my knife comes out for show, his knife comes out. More knives are pulled from under the counter, I would look at them and pick up the Arcane again. Open, close, check grip, dropped it in the sheath to check fit.

Walked out the door with a NIB Benchmade 490 Arcane. Good decision it's a good cutting, comfortable knife that gets used.
QPivr1S.jpg

Any of the ZT Sinkevich designs (0452CF, ZT0462BLK, ZT0450FCDAM).

The tacticool factor is what enticed me in buying them.

However, throughout normal usage, I've come to love them as they're all very handy for my daily knife tasks (food, packages, jury-rigging). A slender blade that fires like a rocket is just what I need. I don't roll around mud or sand, so the ball bearings are not a limitation. In addition, they're very pleasing to fidget with while philosophizing.

8WewjyE.jpg

When it comes to modern knives there are things I don't like, period. Holes in a blade, finger choils on the blade, flippers, assisted, thick blade stock, saber grinds, heavy built bricks, thumb studs to far forward. Check one of those boxes and it's a deal breaker.

Early this year I was at Cabellas just looking at any and every thing and stoped at the knife counter. A conversation started about likes and dislikes. The salesman was handing me this and that and I would reject them. When the subject of steel came up he handed me a Benchmade 490 Arcane. I looked at it rejected it after all it was an assisted flipper, that's two checks in the no go boxes. I didn't hand it back. but started giving it a closer examination. I didn't care for the flipper but I started opening it two handed, the spring didn't over power the blade and drive it into the palm of your hand.

More time passes, my knife comes out for show, his knife comes out. More knives are pulled from under the counter, I would look at them and pick up the Arcane again. Open, close, check grip, dropped it in the sheath to check fit.

Walked out the door with a NIB Benchmade 490 Arcane. Good decision it's a good cutting, comfortable knife that gets used.
QPivr1S.jpg
Do you still two-hand it or do you flip it?

Still two hand open it, the flipper is a virgin :D
I like one hand open but I just roll them open, I really miss the one hand closing like I can do with my other axis and liner locks.
Some cold winter day the assist spring will get removed.

Microtech socom elite m390 (2018)

Don't generally care for tactical styling, tip down only, or aluminum scales but dang....this thing is just a joy to carry, handle/use, and flick open!

Still two hand open it, the flipper is a virgin :D
I like one hand open but I just roll them open, I really miss the one hand closing like I can do with my other axis and liner locks.
Some cold winter day the assist spring will get removed.
D Dean51 You would love the action on this Russian folder from Nazarov Forge. It feels like it is hydraulic or pneumatic. Like the old Citroen BX that used to rise up on the suspension when you turned on the engine. It is the nicest smoothest action of any folder I own, but I don’t have anything by CRK! You can’t flick it, or you probably can by messing with the pivot, but it is set just right by Nazarov - in my opinion - and I ain’t changing it! I removed the lanyard it came with, but the photo was for a review:

VBHA0Yl.jpg

OP: boringly, Spyderco for me, in common with others on this thread. As an enthusiast I knew that I would have to at least try to like a Spydie. Bought a PM2. I bloody love that fugly thing. So I also bought a UKPK in S110v. Bought my brother one too. Damn it! :)

Spyderco Dragonfly.

I liked the looks of it but everytime I saw it in the store I imeaditally would think "Too small, and too expensive" The store only had the ZDP version and it was $5 more then the PM3!
Well after buying 4 large/regular sized Spyderco's including the PM3. I was able to buy the Dragon fly at a huge discount.

At first I thought it's neat but I would likely end up giving it to my Father. But this lil guy has grown on me over the past couple of days and now, and I feel kinda nakid without it.

Its the perfect office knife.

Was a surprise for me as well.

I love cooking and this piece I found in my Mother`s heirloom, is 3.2 mm thick Sandvick Stainless steel that takes a razorzzzzzzzzz edge and can hack thought beefy bones without a nick.

cleaver.jpg

It`s just Such an Heavy Beast... I use it to cut everything I wouldn't use my Zwilling Pro... And find myself continuing the job with this instead loll.

Last edited:
Mora 2000

I always liked the knife for outdoors use, but recently I’ve been EDCing fixed blade knives. This is legal where I live, as long as they’re not concealed. I’m finding that I often strap the 2000 on my belt. It does a lot of daily tasks very well.

Back