1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What knife for a vacation in New York City ?

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by lapinot2003, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lapinot2003

lapinot2003

May 17, 2004
    Hi there,

I am off to New york city for a two weeks vacation. I would hate to be completely naked ther, wandering the streets (i.e no knife with me).
    I don't need a knife for self defense (for that I have good running shoes and a knack to avoid trouble) ; I just don't feel right without my pocket knife (or my lighter or a small flashlight).
    I was thinking of taking with me two small, sheeple friendly knives : a victorinox soldier with alox sides and a Fallkniven U2 (and maybe my usual micra on my key chain).

Problem is I don't know if having a knife is something that would be frown upon (don't really care of that, actually) or even something that would get me fined or sent in jail (I would mind that very much).
    Another problem is that I will reside in New Jersey. Not that there is anything wrong with that but since it is a different state, I guess laws can be different.

Is there any risk of confiscation or fine ?
    Any piece of advice ?

Thanks in advance

Antoine

PS : a bit of topic : I would really appreciate any good address for outdoors shop, knife shop, sports and even gun shops.
    I am looking for every bit of "BladeForums Certified" shopping opportunity while there. One can e-mail me at this address : lisalan (dot) com (at) gmail (dot) com

2. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    NYC law says a knife's blade must be less than 4" and non-locking helps you avoid their bizarre definitions of "gravity knife". All the knives you mentioned are fine. However, the City also mandates knives be carried concealed, which means even the Micra has to be completely inside a pocket.

New Jersey law is much more lenient and you won't have any trouble here with the three of them, either.

Remember that many institutions also forbid any knives, for example, the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Buildings probably run metal detectors. You can go through museums with them, though.

Knife shops. Here's a list from a while ago. maybe some current New Yorkers can let us know which are still good! I don't go into the City much anymore. :)

Mastersmiths - Bill Malloy
    403 East 58th Street
    New York NY 10022

(Toll Free) 1-877-8KNIVES
    (1-877-856-4837)
    Local Calls 1-212-752-4045
    Fax 1-212-752-4037

http://www.beautifulblades.com/
    [email protected]

1200 -1700 (noon to 5pm)
    closes for chow
    then 1900-2100 (7pm -9pm)

Paragon Sports
    867 Broadway at 18th Street
    New York, NY 10003
    (212) 255-8036

Store Hours
    Monday thru Saturday 10:00am - 8:00pm.
    Sunday 11:30am - 7:00pm.

Swiss Army Soho
    136 Prince Street
    New York NY

Victorinox Heaven. Here you will find every Victorinox model available, including Classics in every color imaginable. There are Vic watches galore and Vic clothing as well. Don't miss the display of vintage Vics.

Henry Westpfal
    105 W. 30th Street off Broadway
    New York NY 10001

Buck and Victorinox. Their specialty is high-end kitchen knives.
    They sharpen any and all knives.

Native Leather
    203 Bleecker Street
    New York NY

Buck, Opinels, and Sante Fe Stoneworks Buck and Spyderco models.

Tent & Trails
    21 Park Place
    New York NY 10007
    1-212-227-1760

Normally they open at 9:30.
    Take the number 2 or 3 train downtown, and get off at Park Place.
    Spyderco and Victorinox SAKs. Some Cold Steel and CRKT.

... Add these:
    ... ICEBERG on broadway and Grand ... about 3 blocks above Canal.
    ... Three Little Indians Custom Knives in Little Italy, 192 Grand St.

3. lapinot2003

lapinot2003

May 17, 2004
    Thanks for that fast and very helpful reply.
    I'll be careful not to show my pcoket knife of and not to go around with a spyderco clipped to my pocket (since I intend to get at least one delic : prices here are just plain crazy for a knife you guys can get in any store).

Thanks a lot once more.

Antoine

4. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    I might not agree with the prices in most NY stores. Maybe you can order some online ahead of time to be waiting when you get here. :D

I hope you enjoy your visit. New York is still a crazy city with so much fun to get around to.

5. waterdogs

waterdogs

Oct 19, 2008
    The most unusual (and IMHO, the coolest) knife shop in NYC is Three Little Indians Custom Knife & Cigar Shop (192 Grand St.) in Little Italy. You can get a great Italian meal (or Chinese, if you cross Canal St.), then go buy yourself a nice knife and some fine cigars, if that`s your taste....

6. lapinot2003

lapinot2003

May 17, 2004
    It sounds like a very solid plan...

All the addresses dully noted. Keep'em coming.
    And thank you again.

Antoine

7. OCPwnage

OCPwnage

Mar 15, 2009
    I know you said you didn't need one for SD and your post suggest that you would prefer a non-intimidating knife but I feel obligated to suggest to you, my favorite (read: only) travel knife, the Emerson CQC-14.

8. jquinlan

jquinlan

Feb 15, 2006
    New York City, since Mayor Rudy Giuliani cleaned it up many years ago, is a wonderful and relatively safe place to visit. If you use common sense, you'll likely never need a knife for defensive purposes. The problem with concealed carry is that many of the city's greatest attractions, for example, the Museum of the American Indian, The Statue of Liberty, the Top of the Rock, et cetera, put you through the same type of inspection that an airline would, and your knife would preclude your visiting. It ain't worth the hassle.

I like knives, and I like carrying a knife. And as a frequent visitor to the city, I was thinking about buying one of the "invisible" ABS or polymer knives that I could carry through metal detectors, well, undetected. If anybody has a recommendation in this regard, I'd appreciate hearing from you or directing me to the appropriate thread.

So, please, don't let tales of violence and crime dissuade you from visiting NYC---it's a fabulous place. Be sure to take in Central Park, Top of the Rock, and Chinatown. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge on a warm afternoon, and grab a bite to eat in Little Italy or South Street Seaport. Rest your tired feet at Trinity Church or St. Paul's after viewing the WTC site, see Times Square (eat at Virgil's), take in a play on Broadway.

9. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    If you're so inclined, check Cold Steel Nightshade series. The stuff are almost useless as knives, but they're ok as shivs.

10. mp510

mp510

Mar 20, 2006
    I believe the Fallkniven has a lock, correct? If so, I wouldn't bring that into NYC. Non-lockers only is the safest way to go.

11. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    Lived and worked there most of my life. It was never the most dangerous place around, and that includes neighborhoods a tourist is probably best off not going through. Avoiding the obviously shabby areas, your biggest threat would be from pickpockets. :)

Go to Practical Tactical and ask. You should get a pretty thorough review of what's available. Or check out items 1, 2, 3 and 10.

Some really good places there.

12. jquinlan

jquinlan

Feb 15, 2006
    Thanks, Sep, I took your advice and checked out http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html . Also, I learned that Meyerco makes an assisted-opening folder, completely plastic except for the spring. I'm not sure if any of these are for me. It seems that I'm reaching into my pocket for a knife many times each day for some utilitarian reason--- from opening an envelope to cutting a rope---but don't know how to use a knife defensively. Maybe I can kick the bad guy in the nuts while he's laughing at my knife handling prowess.

Yes, Esav Benyamin, I've spent some time there myself, yet I continue to be amazed at the number of folks who live and work there in relative harmony. Hell, some of the apartment building populations exceed that of small towns out in the "country." Per capita, crime is almost neglible compared to many places. A lot of folks lump Manhattan in with the other boroughs when it comes to crime stats. Sure, visit Manhattan, but watch yo' arse if you venture into the South Bronx!

And did I mention that NYC has the best food anywhere in the world? Try to get a decent pizza anywhere outside of a 200-mile radius and you'll be sorely disappointed. (Except maybe for Chicago.)

13. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    For strictly utilitarian purposes, there's a gadget that completely flies under the radar: the utili-key. In closed position, it looks no different than, well, a key. In open position it's good enough to slice through that recalcitrant bag of chips or the occasional string. As a bonus it also comes with small phillips screwdriver, small flat screwdriver, eyeglass screwdriver, and cap lifter.

The best feature is deniability. Since it looks so much like a key, you can claim that you just forgot you have it when they discover it and decide to challenge you. Hell, it's the truth because even I forget I have it all the time.

IMHO by the way it's constructed, this gizmo is more liable to cut you than your opponent. The only people who would consider it a weapon are bureaucrats and morons.

Just attach it to your keyring ALONG with other keys (especially car keys because they're similar in size), and you're good to go.

14. MLEShootingSports

MLEShootingSports

Feb 6, 2009

I'll have to check that place out.

BTW - Some of the best eateris in NYC, are neighborhood places with a big chalkboard sign just left out in front during operating hours. The places are usually packed with locals, which confirms the quality. No eatery will survive with such little signage, unless the locals support them night after night. As we know, word spreads fast...

15. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    For anyone going to the American Museum of Natural History, the cafeteria is overpriced, dingy, and the food is nothing special.

But all around the area, especially up and down Columbus Avenue behind the Museum, are small restaurants like he's describing. MUCH better choice of really good food! :)

16. jquinlan

jquinlan

Feb 15, 2006
    You're way too generous, Esav; I think the food in the museum sucks. But those restaurants on Columbus, or 10th or 11th Avenues, bon appetite!

17. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    Frankly, the previous McDonald's style museum cafeteria was better. The overpriced yuppie food they sell now is terrible.

We went to hospital out here in NJ a while ago and the cafeteria there was run by Au Bon Pain, which is a really decent restaurant chain. Why the museum can't hire someone up to their standards, I don't know.

18. yuanfenya

yuanfenya Banned BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    (( spam ))

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  19. Bufford

Bufford Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006

We get alot of bad weather at this time of year keeping me in the shop. I got a bunch of old keys laying around. I am going to try pofiling and sharpening them, and experiment with making a wee knife that looks like the old key.

The angles on the key would act much like serrrations, it would not have to be super sharp, but sharp enough to work like a knife and still feel and look like a key.

20. carter13

carter13

Jan 4, 2009