What Knife Has Pleasantly Surprised You the Most?

Hi guys,

We all like our "which knife is best at this price" threads, or I know I do anyway. But I was wondering, what knife (at any price) did you go in having low or no expectations of and ended up pleasantly surprising you?

One of me is the Cold Steel Tuff Lite. It's been a very useful little knife.

My Victorinox Farmer surprised me as it has ended up being the most useful tool I have ever carried.

Boker/CLB Hyper. I got a new one for $15.
It's just a great little/big folder and a frame lock to-boot.
rolf

Not a cheap knife but was definitely surprised at the quality, fit and finish of the Southern Grind Bad Monkey. Was blown away by the steel as well, since I had heard so many opinions on it.

I recently bought 2 HK knives made in China exclusively for Big 5 Sporting Goods. They are akin to the old red class of BM knives. HK#14040 Espionge (silly name)and 14141 Flak.
Although they were "genuine HK knives" and the box and paperwork had BM all over it, including their name and address on warranty card, I figured a Chinese made knife (no issue) with no indication of blade steel (a problem) was a junker at best.
They both came as assisted openers which I disabled making them simple liner lock folders. Doing this took out any blade play making both models pretty solid feeling.

I have used the 14140 a bunch to cut up cardboard etc but also started to cut cans and such to dull the blade. The blade eventually dulled (after a lot of cutting/carving)with no chipping. It sharpened up easily to shaving sharp in minutes with a Sharpmaker.

G-10 handles, full metal liners and a deep carry clip for less than a date for two to a movie.

14140 box and packaging
NhYoESm.jpg

14140 and 14141 with my Ritter Grip as size comparison.
ahWhqSn.jpg

Blade on 14140 looking good.
AGO0IaX.jpg

I know that the Becker BK9 was going to be a good knife based on the youtube reviews I watched, but it preformed SO MUCH BETTER than I expected. For such a big knife, it did fine carving almost as well as my Mora Robust. And the thing chopped though 4" standing greenwood IN ONE CHOP! One awesome blade!

i carry my siver stag corky and stays sharper than my kershaws with same use..and i can cut out those pesky slivers and cut my cuticles with ease...love the size and when cutting veggies on the board i use it a lot..{i know nobody here even mentions this brand but its my fav}jeff

Gosh, if I spent over twenty bucks, I'm not sure I should post here. But my ZT 0770CF in M390 in one of my favorite folders. It is smooth, light (at three ounces) and a great blade-steel. It fits my hand. Can't ask much more.

Mora.

I was a big fan of Cody Lundin's first book years ago and he highly recommended the Mora style knife. I expected very little of it, but for $14 I figured it was worth a shot and if I didn't like it no big deal.

When I started using it I found the blade geometry just cut very well and continued to cut. Better yet I discovered how easy was to resharpen one to screaming sharp again.

The Mora is my go to knife anytime I head out of the city now. I really am lusting for a Fallkniven F1 and have been for a while, but my Mora does everything I need it to and I can bring myself to spend the money.

Spyderco Tenacious. Before I got it, my Kershaw Blackout was the only liner lock folder that I had. The Tenacious's liners were so thick compared to the Kershaw's that it surprised the hell out of me

Gosh, if I spent over twenty bucks, I'm not sure I should post here. But my ZT 0770CF in M390 in one of my favorite folders. It is smooth, light (at three ounces) and a great blade-steel. It fits my hand. Can't ask much more.

Any knife at any price can surprise us, friend! I guess cheaper knives do surprise me more since I expect less from them, but that doesn't mean more expensive ones haven't either!

Picked up a Kershaw Emerson on sale for $20 and was very impressed by what I recieved.

At a paltry $25, the Ontario Utilitac is the gift that keeps on givin

IMG_20141112_160835426_HDR_zpspnjjwjm9.jpg

Picked up a Kershaw Emerson on sale for $20 and was very impressed by what I recieved.

Yes that whole line is a heck of a deal. I have the CQC-6K it came sharp and perfectly aligned and rock solid lock up.

Im going to have to go with an opinel. Did not realize how much I was going to like it

Back