What knife question - my turn

I'm new, but it seems this is common -- maybe ESPECIALLY with newbies.

Anyway, I've got maybe 15 name-brand folders and I'm finding I'm still looking for the "perfect" every-day-carry. Part of my problem is probably that my tastes keep changes (getting more expensive) but anyway...

I'm looking for a medium sized (around 3.5" blade) folder. I prefer one-hand open & close, so I feel this precludes a lockback. I really like the liner-lock or frame-lock, haven't made up my mind about the Axis lock.

I thought I'd like the Sebenza -- I'd be done by now if I did, but alas...

Current top picks (in no particular order) are:

Benchmade Pinnacle
Benchmade 942 Osborne
Spyderco Starmate

I also like the:

Benchmade 690
Benchmade 722

But they're slightly smaller than I had in mind, and _might_ be too thick. That's a concern. I normally carry my folder clipped inside my right-front jeans pocket. Thicker knives are kind of annoying. I thought my Kershaw Boa was going to be PERFECT, but the thumb ramp sawed a hole in my pants. It's MUCH better in the Kangaroo pouch, but now it's too thick. :-(

Recommendations? Anything I've overlooked? I'm thinking mostly in the <$200 range, but I could probably spend $350 on something really special.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael,
If the Sebenza didn't float your boat, I doubt that the Pinnacle is going to do it for you either. Maybe if you could tell us what it was about the Sebenza that didn't agree with you, we could provide some better advice.

Perhaps the new Benchmade/Elishewitz collaboration might interest you. Some of the William Henry folders are really sweet as well, but they may be a bit smaller that what you're looking for.

Here's some more info on the Benchmade 690 (Elishewitz collaboration):

http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?id=414413756852&item=81

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

[This message has been edited by Bronco (edited 02-27-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bronco:
Michael,
If the Sebenza didn't float your boat, I doubt that the Pinnacle is going to do it for you either. Maybe if you could tell us what it was about the Sebenza that didn't agree with you, we could provide some better advice.
</font>

The Sebenza I saw was a large NICA 'n of 400' model. I thought I was going to like it, but it was a HUGE pain to close. The lock didn't engage very much, but it was enough to wedge itself against the blade, making it extremely difficult to disengage.

I actually like the Pinnacle a LOT. It's probably my #1 choice right now, but I've never seen a "Starmate". They sound nice as well. I generally like the 942 Osborne, but I'm still undecided about the Axis lock.

I'm also especially partial to the stuff I've seen from Tom Anderson, but it's right at the upper end of my spending limit and I can't bring myself to buy one without "feeling" it first. I like that Bob Dozier "Trapper" as well, but again, not available locally.

Mike

Some prefer the Benchmade 750 to the Sebenza, so don't rule it out because of the construction similarities. A good folder for the money.

The Benchmade 94X Axis Lock is quite slim, with a narrow profile and a long thin blade. A bit of an odd duck, a little long for a gents knife, a bit thin for a tactical/utility blade.

The Starmate is a surprisingly robust folder, very thin and light because of the recessed liner but still a handful of knife. Kind of long for pocket carry, in Jimmy’s opinion.

Haven’t handled the 690, and the 722 is thick. Not SERE or Strider thick, but fairly bulky.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Don't rule out lock backs. Give the lightweight Spydercos a look. Especially the Native. If not that, the Delica, Endura, or Calypso Jr. may be more to your liking.

Paul

The Starmate is an excellent choice. Also look at the Wegner. The Wegner is a knife that has to be held to be appreciated. One of the most comfortable knives I have ever handled. The Wegner is one of my favorites, if not the favorite.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

You might to take a look at the Benchmade 705HS. The axis lock is really nice. If you want a liner lock, though, I'd go with the Al Mar SERE 2000. It is my favorite liner lock folder so far.
The Starmate is nice and slim for comfortable carry, but there's just something about that one partial liner that feels weak. It's a nice back up sort of knife.

-IPR

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shootist16:
The Starmate is an excellent choice. Also look at the Wegner. The Wegner is a knife that has to be held to be appreciated. One of the most comfortable knives I have ever handled. The Wegner is one of my favorites, if not the favorite.
</font>

Yeah, that one caught my eye.

OK, I'm back to 3:

Pinnacle
Starmate
Wenger

Plain edge, for everyday. I'm going to the gun show in Denver either Fri or Sat. If I don't buy a Nolan custom, I'll definately be scoping these three out.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief dignitary:
If you want a liner lock, though, I'd go with the Al Mar SERE 2000. It is my favorite liner lock folder so far.

-IPR
</font>

I have an Al Mar "Backup", and I love it. I'm attracted to the SERE 2000, but I've read it's HEAVY, and awfully large. Sounds too big for everyday. It's a shame though, great looking knife otherwise.

Mike

I've been carrying a BM 940.Love it.My CUDA feels left out.

------------------

have a"knife"day

I'd recommend the BM 690. It is a really handsome gents knife. You could consider the Spyderco Lum Chinese Folder if you can find one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by anthony cheeseboro:
I'd recommend the BM 690.</font>

I've been eyeing it on web pages since it was first announced. I like it, except:

1. It's a shade on the small side, but I can get over that.
2. It looks thick, so it might not ride well clipped inside my right-front jeans pocket.

Mike

REKAT Pioneer II!!!! what? thats not on the list?? you should look into it...tank of a knife, big enough to work hard, but not so big to cause a limp...strong, sharp blade.
not the prettiest thing, but strong.

easy to open/close one handed. has the Rolling Lock. this is a strong lock.

blade is just a tad bit under 3.5"(i think it is about 3.2". if this isn't big enough, then you could look at the carnivore. it is bigger, but is designed as a different knife(obviously). the Pioneer II seems to me a great EDC knife. Its what I carry everyday.

------------------
Sean

If you find you must throw something at me, please make it a custom.

Get your hand on a 690, you won't regret it. I wear it in my jeans with no discomfort. The handle although small fits the hand very well and being that I like 4" blades, this one still finds it way into my pocket.

i know you did not mention them, but as you said, your tastes are changing... what about microtech? you mentioned a couple of larger BMs, some of the various manuals: socom, or lcc might be worth checking out. it's always nice if you can find a local knife shop or a gun show where you can handle different models to help you decide. just my opinion.

------------------

a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer, if he sees it coming, that is.
Cats, The Other White Meat.{courtesy of VG}
life's tough, get a helmet.
A few of my Knives
russ aka BladeZealot

I'm not sure if this is what you are interested in but my "all time" favorite every day carry besides the small sebenza (all time favorite for the last two months anyway
wink.gif
) is a BM 720. And if an aluminum handle doesn't float your boat, get the new BM721. It has G10 scales. I just ordered one from Bayou Lafourche. Roger has them in stock.

BTW, after you use the sebenza for awhile, it becomes a lot easier to move the lock bar. The tolerances are so tight on this knife, it just takes a little breaking in. And that's what I like about it.
smile.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoodoo:
BTW, after you use the sebenza for awhile, it becomes a lot easier to move the lock bar. The tolerances are so tight on this knife, it just takes a little breaking in. And that's what I like about it.
smile.gif

</font>

That's exactly what it seemed like. It locked up so tight, the blade was putting a load on the locking bar. It was a real pain to close. I played with a Pinnacle for about the same amount of time and liked it MUCH better.

Mike

Has anyone seen the new BM 803 TSEK?

The specs sound like what I'm after. I kinda wish it used the oval hole of the AFCK-II, but I like the blade on the TSEK more (haven't looked up the difference between GIN-1 & 154CM yet).

Thoughts?

Mike

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by russ:
i know you did not mention them, but as you said, your tastes are changing... what about microtech? you mentioned a couple of larger BMs, some of the various manuals: socom, or lcc might be worth checking out.
</font>

I checked out the LCC D/A last time I was at the gun show in Denver. Similar to the Sebenza -- I WANTED to like it, but it was really heavy, and the ambi thumb-stud catches my jeans pocket. I don't think I ever did get it in my pocket.

I did buy what I was TOLD was the "new" Colt M16 D/A. Blue handle, says "Police, to protect and Serve" on the blade. I believe now it's a knock-off. Seems nice enough, but I'm a little irked I paid $75 for a knock off, when the original can be had for that.

Mike

Don't overlook the BM 720, solid as hell and really comfortable. And you can get it with partial serrations in a satin blade or black teflon. Or the MT Socom Elite.
biggrin.gif

------------------
You could put nacho cheese sauce on it...

Back