What knife were you surprised by how much you liked this year?

Pennlu

Gold Member
What knife or knife or knives were you surprised by how much you really liked this year?
I thought I would be a fun topic that could be informative to the rest of us. I will start this off.

I really liked the Kizer Genie. It was a pain to get the front flipping action on it just right. But once I got consistent, it was a joy to carry.
I got my first Dragonfly this year. I liked it much more that I expected. It was easy to carry, thin slicer, And I loved the way it looked.

MKM Root - my first slipjoint outside the world of Victorinox. I've bought four Spydercos this year (well, last year, by 83 mins) but none of them are anywhere near as pleasing as this lovely titanium slipjoint.

Kershaw carbon fibre/M390 Bareknuckle sprint run. First experience with M390 and am seriously impressed with it. Holds an edge much better than the older "super steels" I've used before it but still sharpens easily with my tools and skills. Great flipper action and rock solid pivot. Fantastic blade-to-handle ratio, and the blade style is ideal for me. For many years I've eschewed liner and framelocks, but this one I like a lot.

The K390 Delica has seriously impressed me too. The M390 on my Bareknuckle and 204P on my Delica are fantastic, but the edge holding of K390 is astonishingly great.

What knife or knife or knives were you surprised by how much you really liked this year?
I thought I would be a fun topic that could be informative to the rest of us. I will start this off.

I really liked the Kizer Genie. It was a pain to get the front flipping action on it just right. But once I got consistent, it was a joy to carry.
I got my first Dragonfly this year. I liked it much more that I expected. It was easy to carry, thin slicer, And I loved the way it looked.

What version Genie did you get. I tried the titanium one and while it was beautiful, amazing for and finish and scary sharp I couldn't really use the hole in the blade for deployment and I only really got it for fidgeting...

As for my biggest knife surprise this year it would have to be my Maxemet Para 3.

AfgBMAb.jpg

Recyled photo

I always said spyderco knives were ugly and I never got it. But I picked this one up on a whim and I can't stop carrying it. It is now the knife that I compare every other knife to when searching for something else or looking at my own collection.

The Benchmade Mini Bugout 533. When I first read about it, my reaction was "Why?", because the full size Bugout was already so light and pocketable. Later on when I managed to get hold of one in hand, it was wow. Just wow! :thumbsup:

Reactions: DMG
I’ve owned at least one Victorinox for over 35 years now. I recently started taking more of an interest in them lately (because I can afford them!). A couple of months ago, I finally picked up my first Alox model, an Electrician. I’m in love! It took me a couple of weeks to realize the electrician blade’s little curve was actually sharpened. I was using it as a finger choil! Still, that little blade has been my go-to for most chores at work lately. The texturing on the scales is great, too. I’m sorry I missed out on the Alox models all these years. I still carry a regular model in a different pocket, usually a Compact. I still need my toothpick and scissors.

For me, BM Anthem either on bearings or on Pb Washers and Hinderer Ti Halftrack.

Anthem is pretty darn addicting in term of fidgeting and the Ti Halftrack is super beefy for it small size that it feel satisfying. Currently, adoring both of them very much... like very :D

The Para 3, I didn't think I would like the size but I actually prefer it to the 2.

Doesn't really matter because I sold it......like I do with all my Para's.....but still, its a nice size.

Spyderco Junction.

Disco’d but possibly still findable.
I picked it up late 2019 but didn’t get around to doing much with it until a 2020 summer backpacking trip.

We found ourselves (unusually) in an area where fires are allowed and the evening was cool and rainy.

It was all we had to process firewood (we lean towards ultralight) and I batonned the crap out of that little thing!

It took it all without missing a beat and could still shave arm hair when we got back. Completely and totally beyond what I expected.

Out of necessity, it got put away wet and the PSF27 had some surface rust in the morning, but it cleaned up really well once back home.

The handle wasn’t ideal for what I put it through, but that little sucker punched way above its weight.

[url=https://postimg.cc/0rzBfFNp]
[/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/Cd9667Z9]
[/URL]

Last edited:
Probably the CPM 10V PM2.
I knew i was going to like it.....
But damn.
It cuts
And cuts
And cuts more and more.
And its not brittle at all.

I know maxamet has better edge holding, but the 10V has some surprising toughness with the edge holding. Thing feels unstoppable!

Koenig Arius - I didn’t initially love the design but my knife “curiosity” makes me basically try everything and once in hand

...forget it, it fits like a glove, the fit/finish is amazing, and the action is ridiculous even preferred to my Norseman! Bought a second one (Gen 4) and it has perfect action! Now I need a Mini Goblin please??

...Spyderco Para 2 in Maxamet, de-tipped and micro fracture ground off...

...could it be...TANTO...!?!...(grin)

dana-carvey-as-church-lady-yahoo-video-screenshotjpg-14114a22e3225fb2.jpg

Last edited:
Back